Silent Hill: Homecoming

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Automorpher, May 3, 2010.

1. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    ***** I sincerely apologise if there's another existing thread for what I'm about to ask. ***** :bowdown: 

Hi,

As per the thread title suggest, its all about THIS game. :) 

I passed by a game store yesterday & they had these up for clearance on the XBox 360 console. We've not played Silent Hill before so I thought of asking the kind folks here for their opinions on this one.

Help us decide if this is worth getting, thanks! :thumbs2: 

2. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Funny you post this, I just started playing the game 2 days ago.

It has it's good and bard parts. A lot of it is influenced from the movie. Not a bad thing in my book though. Some of the enemies are pains though, and I know it's supposed to be tough. I think I might just not know how to deal with them yet. The combat has it's ups and downs, even though it seems mainly about dodging/circle strafing around enemies.

It's good though, and even though it seems a bit slow to start up, i'm interested in what's going to happen and where it's going. Probably not a bad place to start for your first SH game, as it's not tied in to the first 3 too much.

I'd pick it up for cheap, but i'm happy I didn't pay full for it.

3. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

Far better than 4. But SOmething seems lost in it's atmosphere. Maybe it's just that I've played most of them and ratehr expect something to come out at you.

4. Automorpher

News Credits:
    Thanks for sharing guys. :thumbs2: 

Yeah, we've been playing Resident Evil series all this while & we never try out other games. (at least on XBox 360 platform)

I've seen a 10 years old kiddo playing this, running around in circles for about 15 minutes & I still don't see a trace of demon/monster. Are enemies really that far & few in-between? I'll be gravely disappointed if that's the case. :sly2: 

I'll love to hear more from others whom had either completed the game or into real deep for now.

5. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Silent Hill has typically been about doing your best to avoid combat and run past enemies, than rushing into them headlong, guns blazing. Its more of a psychologically fueled horror game than Resident Evil.

Though, Homecoming is more action-oriented than previous entries in the series and your character is much more capable in a fight than past protagonists. I'd say... 85-90% of the time, you'll encounter enemies one at a time and the game puts it on you to dodge their attacks and wait for offensive opportunities to present themselves. You will need to learn to dodge effective or this game's monsters will kill you dead. Weaker enemies will come at you 2-3 at a time and try to surround you and toward the end of the game, monsters will start to come out at you in (still small) droves.

Largely though, you are navigating environments, solving puzzles and building a picture of your character's past and figuring out what they're all about. Silent Hill is less about shooting duders and move the revelation that, "man... some of these people are really f'd in the head."

6. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I liked this game enough. Better then "The Room" by a good margin. I almost gave up on the game early on when I kept getting overwhelmed by enemies, but I decided just to run and that worked fine. Despite what others have said, the lead is really not an adept fighting force, but can do ok one on one.

Still, if you want good atmosphere, a nice, creepy story, and moody music, this is a good choice. Silent Hill has stuck to its guns for being a survival/mind f**k game, and I appreciate it for just these things. I'm excited about the new one that was recently announced, but unless Konami contracts the old composer that is no longer directly employed by them, it might lose a great deal of its appeal.

7. Automorpher

News Credits:
    We finally caved & bought Silent Hill: Homecoming yesterday evening. At clearance price, it was too good to be missed. :p 

Come this Saturday, we're gonna try playing & I hope we won't get disappointed. :D 

8. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Make sure it's nice and dark out, and turn the sound up!

Although this game gets TOO dark at times, and it's really hard to see what you're doing. And the dialog isn't loud enough, while music and sound effects are extremely loud. Luckily you can adjust all those in settings.