Significant other's opinion of your hobby?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by LatinJEM777, Jan 3, 2008.

1. LatinJEM777

LatinJEM777 TFW's Premier Shredder

What does your significant other think of you when it comes to collecting transformers? I'm really grateful that my g/f thinks it's really cute since she sees that I'm still a kid inside. Of course she's studying to be a teacher, so she loves kids! :D 

Insight please?

2. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

No issues with my ex. One of the things that she was really great about.

Come to think of it, never had issues with anyone I've ever dated seriously. The kinda woman that likes me is the kinda woman that usually isn't concerned about something like toys.

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Never had a girlfriend hate my collecting, but they've never taken interest in it and sometimes it got on their nerves every time we went to a store that the toy section was the first place we had to visit before we could actually shop.

4. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

My wife still jokes about how we have to go to the toys first before we do the rest of the shopping.

5. Roller

Roller Keep on rollin'! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Sometimes my wife is interested, but most of the time it's just "oh, that's nice dear"

6. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Its the only way they know they have our undivided attention to get everything we need. If we don't hit the toys first then the whole time I'll be thinking more about whats in the toy aisle rather than getting groceries. This was esp true during my Toy Biz Marvel Legends collecting days, and I was always afraid some one would scoop the variants if they were there.

7. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    She pays attention, tends to know what I like, and surprises me with things every now and again (she just picked up two of the 100-piece puzzles as a surprise present the other day). Keeps me happy, keeps me at home, I'm not on drugs or hitting her. If the time came, I could sell my collection and get back a lot of what I've put into it. And she's the one who decided we're going to Botcon. :) 

-Tony!

8. tarheels

tarheels Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    She never wanted to know anything about my collection or help me look for anything new. Now she wants to help me find something that I am looking for and is interested in the different figures that come out. She is even looking forward going to another Convention.

But she does ask me sometimes if I am done collecting because she wants to know what I am going to put it all.

9. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My wife is very understanding and supportive, I couldn't have asked for a better woman in my life. Plus cool thing is she's just about as excited as I am about botcon. Plus if you've seen KA's birthday thread and the 2007 Spam thread, you can see how much she enjoys havin a little fun on the boards as well :D 

10. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My wife doesn't mind. She wishes it were cheaper, but as long as the bills are paid and we still get to do fun stuff, she doesn't mind.

I've halfway converted her though. Not to Transformers, but on some other toys, Galactic Heroes especially. We always hit the toy aisles first together :) 

And it's good she doesn't mind. We just bought our first house, and I turned the entire bonus room (it's over an oversized 2 car garage) into the toy room / office. Every wall is lined with shelves with toys on it, mostly Transformers of course. It's awesome :D .

11. RedOktobre

RedOktobre RedOktobre

All you guys are lucky!!!

My fiance believes the following:

1. Transformers are for children
    2. Transformers are a waste of time and money$$$
    3. Tried of going to Toys R Us all the time
    4. More TFs mean less $$$ money for our upcoming wedding
    5. I have a boring and dumb hobby
    6. I should have another hobby such as mountain biking, photography, and so forth
    7. I have too many TFs!
    8. There will not be enough room for my TFs!

I pretty much face an uphill battle. My friends, family, and co-workers absolutely do not understand my hobby.

12. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    Sigh... i might be feeling some pressure on my "obsession with toys"

13. IOIIOOO

IOIIOOO Botographer to the Stars

My wife is pretty good about it. She won't go looking for them with me, but she doesn't seem too annoyed when I buy them at least. She does worry about where I'll put them all, but since I use so many for photo props and have sold a few rare ones here and there for a nice profit, she's fairly accepting of the whole thing.

14. Raven Zombie

Raven Zombie Liege Ravnos Muerte

my ex hated them or any other toys that i had.
    the woman im with dosnt care, she dosnt want me to get rid of my collection because she contributed to it. her son got into transformers because of me also.

15. AutobotMarine

AutobotMarine Banned

Ebay:

I have one thing to say....

Dump. That. Witch.

And for me. My ex's really didn't mind, so no problems.

16. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I'm lucky enough that my girlfriend has an equal addiction to colorful plastic, but in her case it's anime DVDs. Since the movie she's actually taken an active interest in the hobby, I get a call from her every now and then when she happens into a Transformers aisle, that's gotten me movie Swindle and the Optimus flypaper. She's also come in handy when I was short on cash on hand for a few purchases. (Blackout/Scorponok two pack and Leader Megatron) She's even starting to notice the new ones, which is nice to know she can tell the difference.

At the same time she knows it's a soft spot. We were walking into a TRU back when Leader Megatron was not in my collection and the leader wave just changed to all Brawl with no word of another Megs release. As we walk in we can see through the glass in front to the cash register where a kid is walking through with Leader Megatron and I go "oh great, they've got them still." ...imagine how hard she laughed when we got to the aisle and it turned out to be the last they had.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  17. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    My gf rags on me sometimes about what, exactly, I'm going to do with my collection, saying stuff like 'no more toys', but on the whole she's neutral. She'll check out the toy aisle with me without complaint. At one point she even put Ultimate Bumblebee into my shopping cart, saying "Just buy the damn thing already". She actually thought Encore Ratchet and Ironhide were pretty neat, if weird looking (in robot mode).
    As long as we're able to meet our bills (and provide for the upcoming baby), she doesn't mind.

18. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Belly doesn't mind it. Actually she thinks it's kind of cute, at least sometimes. She buys me TFs, occasionally, usually for anniversaries and Christmas. She just bought me a Real Gears 2-pack for Christmas, along with season 6 of '24'. (My baby knows me well... it's been '24' and a TF for the past few Christmases, actually.:) )

She just worries about me spending too much, sometimes. Totally justified, though, since my job is a little shaky at times and we are getting married in just 3 months. Yikes. Thankfully, I'm pretty much doen collecting.:) 

19. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    the GF is ok with the movie stuff ( Starwars etc etc ) The TF bit well she liked the movie and such and know the name Optimus Prime and dosent mind me buying TFs. SHes not very into it though

20. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    my wife bust my balls abt em. but its cool, i get in the occasional punch in the ovaries.