*Sighs* Jack Thompson,,,,,,,,, again

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by mrhillz, Aug 16, 2006.

1. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

2. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

oh fopr CHRIST SAKES

we all know its gonna be a Mature game, doesnt this guy know we are freaking grown up adults and that game isnt meant for children GEEEZ

someone PLEASE go FREAKAZOID ON HIM

3. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think he is a closet gamer.. That is why he wants an advance copy...

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Dear Jack,
    Fuck off, you irritating ambulance chasing asshole.
    Yours,
    Even more people than last time

5. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    If he wasn't such a tarnished ass, people would realize he actually has one valid point there. If Wal-Mart in Florida is preselling a game, that is likely to get a Mature rating, then they are violating their own advertised policy.

However...Every Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy and Circuit City I have ever been to has let people of any age by R-Rated films, without carding them. So really, what's the point anymore.

6. Wing alpha

he has a point true, the problem is that with this society do we really think its gonna change anything?

7. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Not at all. In the grand scheme of things, say even in 5 years, none of this Jack Thompson, Hot Coffee stuff will matter a bit. Will there ever be regulation of games? Not likely, and for one simple reason. Noone has been smart enough (or dumb enough) to lump in all violent media with the games they are trying to regulate. I'm talking movies, games, books, cd's, etc. Right now, people like Jack Thompson want the world to belive that games are NOT a form of expression. Movies, music and books are all protected because they are deemed forms of expression. Until games are recognized in the same light, the ridiculous laws and attacks will continue.

8. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I love how he thinks that it must receive the Jack Thompson Seal of Approval first before the game can be released. Just because he has an opinion, he is still just one man, whos personal opinion is just as valid as any one of ours. Let the ESA rate the game and thats that.

His arguement about pre-sales is silly too. If a store lets a minor walk out of the store with the product, then he has an valid point. But pre-sales are something different. If the product hasnt been released yet, it is subject to change, meaning pre-sales can be canceled as well and money refunded. Yes, Walmart is being stupid pre-selling what will be an obvious M-Rated game to minors, but officially it has no rating yet. When it does get one, then Walmart will decide how to handle it.

Personally Im hoping that Rockstar is not letting anyone see the game because it is actually a game about giving bullies flowers to make them change their ways. They want Mr Thompson to spout off about the plague on society that this game will be, then when it comes out they can say "Now F*ck Off"

9. Wing alpha

actually there is a Theory running arround that says that by the time people who play this are older the media will be aware that they would lose raitings by putting a story like thiss so theyll focus on whatever other trend comes up eventually. I myself think of it as rigth one.

10. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I think his opinion needs to have a bit more basis in reality to be as valid as ours. Also, Jack Thompson is a "man" only technically.

11. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Can't someone in Florida try him under the Nuiscance Law and ban him from the state?

Then we get one for the entire USA, and we get to deport him!

12. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Its stupid crap like this taht pisses me off. Jack Thompsan bitches and moans about how young kids are scared and become nut jobs and its all video games fault. Well how the f*ck did that 10 year old get to Wal*Mart to buy that mature rated video game? So many parents (Not all mind you!) just dont give a rats ass about what thier kids are into as long as it shuts them up, until they do something, like shoot another kid. Then its "It must be someone elses fault! We raised our kid right!" I dont know about you, but my mother was always checking stuff I was buying. It wasnt till I could drive myself places that I could get rated r movies and crap.

13. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Just more tripe to prove that Jack Thompson is a assclown.

14. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So hold on, are there any legal restrictions on the sale of Mature games to kids? I'm not talking about parental supervision, (I think its safe to assume that there are a lot of parents who don't know parenting from jack) I'm talking about a proper law that makes it illegal to sell games to minors. In the UK the BBFC can add an age rating to games (based on the visual content I tihnk) making it illegal to sell the game to anyone under the specified age. This lumps games with Films, if it says 15 or 18, and you're 12, you can forget it.

From my understanding in America, there isn't any law like that. Kids can go to a shop and buy a mature game, its recommendation may be mature, but its not legally enforcable. Is that information correct?

If so, Jack Thompson has a point. He actually did an interview in a UK Games magazine (called 'Games' funnily enough) and it appears from his interview that his point is a valid one. Kids, young children specifically, should NOT be allowed to play certain games, (The other week I was playing Tomb Raider Legend in front of a 3 year old, the first level was ok, but after the second level she was making guns out of Lego and running around shooting things. Oh dear. No more Xbox viewing for you.) and his main aim is to seek a change in the law to restrict the sales of games to minors.

In his interview, he states he DOES actually play games, and he wants people to recognize is that some games are not for children, and for those that tdon't think that way, the law should bind them in their sale and distribution. What Jack Thompson doesn't do, is research his evidence very well, he freely admits in the interview that sometimes people (his aides presumably) will bring certain games to his attention, which he will spout off about without actually playing them himself (games like GTA), hence his crazy ranting and ill founded conclusions.

In short, if the game sale situtation is totally open in the US, he's not wrong, but he's his own worst enemy in that he can discredit his own points just for being a fool, which leads to people dismissing him and what he has to say.

15. ArmadaJetfire

Tikgnat, for the most part I agree with you and to a point Thompson. There needs to be some sort of check on these games. I dont see a problem with saying, "Sorry your too young for this game." But then you run into the same problem of minors still getting boozes. They will just find someone old enough to buy the game to get it for them, plus you need to have someone who cares about the rules selling the product. But it doesnt stop there, parents need to take part in thier kids lives. If you walk by your 8 year olds room and see him playing GTA and dont think thats right for him, have some balls, and take it away from him. Thats just my 2 cents.

16. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    i agree with Thompson that kids should not be playing games like GTA. A lot of stores have an internal policy that prevents the sale of a M game to minors. Wal-Mart has one, Target has one, Best Buy has one, TRU has one. Most follow this rule.

I used to work at Toys R Us. One day i covered for the R-zone video game section. Some mom comes up with a GTA (either San Andreas or Vice City) to buy for her son (looked to be about 10-11). I ask her if she knows what is in the game. She says she just knows he wants it. I proceed to tell in general what it involves. She get's this shocked look on her face and puts it back. The kid shoots me daggers with his eyes.

I mean my god. How stupid are you if you are buying a game called GRAND THEFT AUTO and think it is going to be a perfectly fine game for a 10 year old? Lazy parenting.

I wouldn't mind a law preventing the sale of violent video games to minors unless it was with parental consent. But I am sick of the demonization of video games.

17. JD

JD Well-Known Member

I blame the news media. They're inadvertantly making Thompson look less negative and crazy, and more positive and heroic, by NOT focusing on how he fails to realize M rated games for a MATURE (at least 15 yrs) audience; how it's often the PARENTS' fault for buying their kids the games, despite their ratings; and also how it's the retailers fault for selling M rated games to minors.

Crazy mo fo must have some friends in the media, IMHO.

18. ArmadaJetfire

Well since I work for said media, its all about the sound bite. Sometimes the fact get lost. :( 

19. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

First off, assuming that violent games are harmful to children, which multiple studies have failed to do, despite pretty much trying to do exactly that, suing game developers and retailers is still entirely the wrong course of action until the sale of mature games to minors is actually illegal, which it is not and does not need to be. If he wants to call on retailers to stop selling mature games to minors, fine. Suing them is absurd. He's a lawyer, constantly suing people over things that aren't illegal and that he hasn't researched instead of doing anything useful toward his supposed cause. He does this crap for money and attention.

Second, he can call himself a gamer all day if he wants to. The evidence all says otherwise. He's a gamer the way your aging uncle who plays Tetris and Solitaire on his Windows 95 computer is a gamer. I'm guessing you've never seen how he talks about gamers at large. He basically says we're all violent drooling idiots. He is NOT a gamer.

20. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Maybe he posts at GameFAQs?