Sigh....my sticker woes

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by mweeuser, Nov 3, 2009.

1. mweeuser

mweeuser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok, so first I just want to say I think the reproduction of g1 transformer stickers is a huge asset to collectors and I will applaud all that do it. Now my frustrations. I first got some from reprolabels. I was quite happy with my g1 sludge stickers as they matched the preapplied color well, couldn't even tell. Then I got g1 skywarp. I was very unhappy. The purple was way off and the symbols were the worst, had such a bright purple, almost had a red tint, completely unlike the originals. I asked them and was told it was tough to match exactly, that maybe. I have been hesitent to get anymore but I am now restoring the joints on my g1 blue eared cyclonus and the stickers are the worst part. So now that tfstckers has more I checked them out too. From them I find both the preapplied and non-applied stickers but they're simply missing the 2 symbols for the shoulders. so I go back to reprodlabels, they have all the stickers, but the 2 symbols on the shoulders are a different shade of purple then the nose and chest symbols, on the same sticker sheet. I have looked at dozens of cycloni, where are they getting this? I just don't understand how such basic concepts of the same color or including all of the preapplied stickers is so tough. To top it off tfstickers somehow made a mistake (they know they did and are fixing it) but they had the pre-applied stickers for scourge with a red symbol, has there ever been a red decepticon symbol in g1? How could they make that mistake and even print them and sell them before they realized? Maybe I incorrectly assume to go to the work of reproducing these they must be fans themselves cause I don't know how a fan could miss such obvious stuff. So, I guess my cyclonus will sit with sticker crap until I can find someone else or one of these fixes theirs. I guess the only thing productive here is I'm wondering what others have experienced and if there are any other sources.

2. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

The only problem I've had with reprolabels was when I ordered a lot of sets and they forgot one. Which they eventually did send. Other than that I have found their stuff to be exactly like the original. The other option for you if you want to restore your Cyclonus is to go on ebay and find an original sticker sheet. This will give you properly colored labels since they're the originals. If it's just the logos you're having issues with, I recommend getting whole sheets of logos from reprolabels. They make them in every variety from clear background to silver, chrome, gold chrome, gold, white, even full color like on the box art. 9 times out of 10 the logo sheet will have several in the size that you need.

3. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Several issues could affect what you are seeing. First, the pics you are using for comparison may have light differences. Second, reprolabels prints their labels from computers - problems will happen. Ink and monitor/software colors both have a play in how a sticker will turn out.

I've ordered countless sheets from them and have never had a problem (other than not liking the lack of instructions for applying them). It's a rarity, trust me.

BTW, just a minor criticizm - may want to break up your post. Makes it very hard to read when it's one giant paragraph like that.

4. mweeuser

mweeuser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hear what you're saying. I have some of the symbol only sheets from repro and they are slightly better in color. It seems the more chrome like the sheet they are on the more reddish the symbols. I still think on the 1984 line they look way off, they were a dark almost bluish purple on most, especially the jets. As far as getting an original, that doesn't take care of the factory applied, I hate that hasbro did that. Oh well, it's not that big a deal, I just want exact replicas and I can't seem to get em.

5. transtrekkie

This is gonna sound weird but I carry mine with me and I just looked at the chrome Decepticon ones. They look just like the originals. I notice no color difference at all. I think maybe you just got a bad batch. I'd email them and let them know, they're usually really good about fixing problems. Not quick, but they are at least friendly and workable.

6. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    also the quality of original stickers on a single figure, back then could change quite often from US release and Foreign release, and different versions such as original cyclonus vs targetmaster cyclonus. So depending on which version of the originals Reprolabels reproduces there can be quite a difference from what you see on any given vintage figure.

7. transtrekkie

Y'know, that's a really good point and now that I think about it, I have seen original Decepticon stickers that were almost red.

8. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

It depends on which Reprolabels sticker sheet you're ordering, really.

They've been slowly converting the sheets over to a new machine which is intended to fix a lot of the problems. The old machine seems to prefer to print in certain shades - the light blue especially - so the colors may look very off when compared to vintage sheets, especially with the slight pixellation. That's why I generally don't frankenstein vintage stickers with new ones on the same figure. It ends up looking horrible.

As for TFStickers, you should also ask yourself to consider this fact: where could the seller possibly have gotten vintage Scourge factory labels to make the sheets? The only choices are he made them himself, he somehow purchased a sheet, or he used one from a knockoff Scourge as a template. Since knockoff Scourges are know to have a reddish tinge problem on their Decepticon insignia, this is a strong possibility, though an equally likely one is that the printer just messed up.

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Is it also possible that the originals you're comparing to have discolored over time?