Sidearm Sideswipe, can the flames be removed?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Shizuka, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    I'm just wondering if I use nail varnish remover on the flames will I remove the silver paint?

Plus, can the arms be positioned so that the shoulders are under the armour? That's the only thing that makes the toy inaccurate.

2. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Maybe, but I wouldn't risk damaging the silver paint too, or leaving a pink stain after removing the red.

I happen to like the red parts, the color looks really nice in hand and remind me of the original G1 sideswipe. Also kinda looks like the rebel alliance symbol. Give it a chance, or spend an extra bit getting the takara version, if they annoy you too much.

3. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i am not sure about NPR, but i think in the Radicons forums, they use alcohol.

if i get a SA SS, i too would like to take the flames off.

4. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Very probably; it might be possible to get them off without affecting the silver, but it'll be very difficult if it can be done. It'll probably be easier to remove the flames with alcohol anyway, but be prepared to give the alt mode a fresh coat of silver.

5. jru42287

jru42287 With great power...

News Credits:
    I was wondering this myself. That mold is really nice, but I hate that red, and I definitely can't afford to buy the Takara version.

6. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    i was just about to post up on this topic
    but mine was rather a to custom sa ss (which i have) or sell him and get the AA version which i cant find anyone that carries

for me i would be prepaired to paint the entire car over, becasue i think it would be extremely difficult for anyone to remove the red paint and not affect the silver paint under or on the parts with the flames. and then that leaves the whole red windows thing and for me i dont think that would look right

i thing i would rather spend the money for the Autobot alliance one if you can find it

7. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As for the shoulder thing, not without some major mods, unfortunately. I keep eyeballing the toy and trying to brainstorm a way to do it, but I keep drawing blanks.

I agree, it's the only thing preventing him from being perfect (except perhaps the lack of snap-on arm blades). It really screws with his proportions.

8. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    the only way to do the shoulder thing that i can see would make him non transformable you would have to notch the rear fender where it sets over the shoulder to have it tuck up in there

well actually i take that back... it would be very elobarate but you would have to put teh rear fender on some sort of hinge that would allow them (independly) to swing out over the shoulder, but you would have to leave the frame work under the fenders so it couls still collapse over the windsheild and the ab section as well so i could still fold down.

or you could parts form it

also i have never seen it in a spray can but testors makes a paint color called aluminium which is near a spot on match and would allow you to strip the pieces with the flames and just spray those panels and match

color code is 1181

9. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Paintbrush, patience. Doable.

Or you could be lazy like me and use an Airbrush.

10. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Or be even lazier, with more money than sense, and buy the Japanese version...

And I still needed the US version. The Japanese one had the head jamming problem, while my HftD one did not. Something about the balljoint socket in the neck didn't allow the head to tuck in quite as well. Swapped the heads, and all's been good.

11. TornadoQuakeX

TornadoQuakeX Decepti-Creep

Don't take the flames off. Think of how stupid the car would look with the red windows. Just get the Takara version. It looks a lot nicer.

12. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Maybe somebody could do something crazy like paint the windows too!

13. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    You can't really hope to keep the translucency, though, if you take that route. Well, maybe if you used clear smoke grey or something, you could at least tone down the red to something more reasonable.

14. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I used to collect NASCAR diecasts, and even did some customizing with different sponsors and what-not. It was possible to remove the tampo-ed paint without hurting the cars main paint underneath pretty easily with rubbing alcohol. However, the red on SS SS here seems to be a bit sturdier than your average tampo.

15. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    Provided if you can find one, that is.

I heard he's a bit#h to find. :rip 

Edit: And I'm not alone when I quoted.

16. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    It's not flames, it's blood.

roadkill splatter.

17. Gilgamesh

News Credits:
    I insist, just live with the flames. They're a nice blood color and I wasn't too sure when I saw pictures, but after playing with the figure a bit I ended up liking them quite a bit. I have him besides the ROTF deluxe and both look very good.

But I guess you can still try and remove them, and also paint the windows if you were going for accuracy.

18. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    The design is not flames, it's a tribal design.

Certain chemicals eat away at plastic - acetone is one of them. Use alcohol, cotton swabs, patience and elbow grease.

OR.... unscrew the hood pieces, take them outside and spray paint them.

Personally - I like the design because it's not gaudy or overly done. I like the color, full on silver is BORING and I really like the windows. That said, the rest of the figure just needs a little more detail. I painted the rim lips, the vette symbols, brake lights and various other small bits red as well as a minor detail wash on most of the robot bits. He went from an okay figure to a great one.

19. Ellamin

Ellamin Moonbeam Dreamer

News Credits:
    Why? it's a rebel alliance symbol! not flames... he fights the empire and Damn. He's good at it.

20. Gilgamesh

News Credits:
    DOn't forget the wheels! A little silver paint inside makes them pop a lot and improves his looks.