Side Kick Concept

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Ultronite Prime, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Ultronite Prime

Ultronite Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Side Kick Head Concept by Furio Tedeschi.
    Side Kick was based off of Lockdown and eventually the concept became Hot Rod after the head was changed but most of his body design was kept in the final design for Hot Rod. A full body pic will be posted soon.

20687980_795034557343155_8887994391650631680_n.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Likes Alpha Bravo

Guess he was a nameslap then. Oh well.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan ...angel to others.

News Credits:
    A recolour? Well.. reshade! :lol 

• Like Like x 3
  4. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Wait, so was he supposed to be Lockdown?

5. VortexPrime

VortexPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    At least he had somewhat of a personality... and decent screen time...

6. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He did?

He did?

He was a cliche French character.. I don't call that a personality, I call it a caricature.

None of the robots had decent screen time, I mean, I think that's one of the biggest complaints about the movie.

Hot rod has been one of my favorite characters, but what he was in the last knight was rather disappointing. Why bother calling it hot rod?.. why not call him "Pepé le pewbot" or "lambobot" or "frenchie".. or whatever other lazy name they could come up with.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Ryan101

Ryan101 That Dude

News Credits:
    Hot Rod's design is one of my favorites because you can clearly see what he transforms into. Even though it wasn't designed to be Hot Rod, I still think it fits him.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the car fits him and most of his robot mode. But the head, being mostly black, not having something that resembles a spoiler in his back, and not having any type of exhaust forearm guns is disappointing being that it's hot rod.

However, keeping the name out of mind, it is great looking in both modes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. sideswipe3

sideswipe3 Well-Known Member

No, the look was just based off Lockdown.

10. VortexPrime

VortexPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I mean, I liked him, he was fun an I don't really see all this caricature thing, he just has an accent, he didn't had a damn iron baguette as a weapon or a beret like Bulldog had an hat. If he doesn't talk, literally nothing points at a french caricature while looking at him.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Achilles1943

Achilles1943 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    why ? because he was different colours and a different head design ?

there are early renders of him using a flamethrower like his animated counterpart ... and his personality is not THAT off ...

so why is he a nameslap again ?

• Like Like x 2
  12. Shockwavers

Shockwavers Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In fact I kinda liked this Hot Rod even though he didn't look like the g1 version. He was actually quite helpfull and cheerfull most of the time. Also his time stopping gun was quite creative and used well throughout the movie and proved even more effective than all the other conventional weapons. This version is also maybe the only autobot that has a non lethal gun as his main weapon. Hot rod is the first autobot that's not overly violent and doesn't cause colleteral damage I have seen in the movieverse

• Like Like x 4
  13. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    So this was supposed to be the character of Hot Rod from the start? It just comes off as a really odd creative process to me. Like they had the idea for a character and needed concept art done of it, and so someone basically tries to do another Lockdown with some minor changes here and there, even though the character he's making the design for is astronomically different from what Lockdown was even remotely like.

It's like if they started designing Hound by basing him off Sentinel Prime. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    If you consider the time constraints, budget and the fact that both Lockdown and Hot Rod transformed into Lambos, then it should make sense.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Sharing bodies is one thing, but having the same techy visor thing as Lockdown is friggin' weird. I mean, like, was Side Kick supposed to be his brother or something? Or were they going to just recycle the main bad guy from the previous movie as a "new" heroic character?

• Like Like x 1
  16. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer I rise, you fall

News Credits:
    They had Hot Rod planned but no body design. They also had Side Kick planned and his body was to be based off of Lockdown's. In the end, Side Kick was kicked and they gave his body design to Hot Rod instead of making another new one. Makes sense to me.

• Like Like x 1
  17. daniel 97

daniel 97 Autobots' second in command

News Credits:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Another problem of these movies, they just slap names to random cars they find cool, Michael Bay does it! He did the same with Drift...instead of learning about what these character were and are suppose to look like in real-life he picks up cars and then gives them personalities...just go away already!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Likes Alpha Bravo

Let me clarify this: If Hot Rod's character was reminiscent of his namesake, I wouldn't care about his design not being G1. Hell, I don't care at all that his design isn't G1. I don't need his design to evoke his namesake, I just want his character to be reminiscent of it - what he does, what he thinks, how he reacts, etc. Or at the very least, be interesting on his own. I don't mind them using a fan-favorite's name for a character who's engaging and compelling, even if they're totally different from the original.

This Hot Rod is neither a good representation of his namesake nor a character who can stand on his own. He's just another robot to fill out the background and promote a car whose entire character can be summarized as "nice French guy."

Animated Rodimus never used a flamethrower. You're thinking about Animated Hot Shot - and I understand that Hot Rod and Hot Shot are usually pretty much the same character, but in this case they were literally separate characters on the same team we see at the same time. And regardless, Animated Hot Shot's flamethrowers are drawn from the least Hot Rod-like version of Hot Shot - RID01 Hot Shot. I actually can't even think of a single time Hot Rod used a flamethrower, and a search only yielded that image of TLK Hot Rod.

His personality? He barely has one. He's friendly, he likes cool cars, what else? I don't remember him being hot-headed or brash or reckless - If he was, then I wouldn't have nearly as much of a problem as I do with him, because any one of those traits is the first word I would choose to describe Hot Rod. I'd just pass him off as either not having enough screentime or it simply not being his turn to be interesting yet if he did display those traits.

Naming him Hot Rod gave me expectations. He's a pretty damn important character in TF lore - hell, he was the main character of the original movie. If they were going to have Hot Rod in the movies, they should have expected the fans to have expectations for a fan-favorite coming to the big screen. I would probably be the biggest friggin' fan of TLK Hot Rod in the world if he had a different name. I wouldn't have any high expectations for a bot named Noir or Vitesse or something, and I'd probably fall in love with the guy if he wasn't friggin' Hot Rod.

Now, if TF6 still happens, they still have an opportunity to make Hot Rod interesting. He's such a blank slate character wise that he still has plenty of an opportunity to actually be a riveting, multi-faceted character. He doesn't even have to be like G1 Hot Rod for me. I just want him to be an interesting character. I hope to Primus that we finally have a good crew working on the movie by then...

He sort of does. It's not an outright literal hat, thank goodness, but I can see it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  19. sideswipe3

sideswipe3 Well-Known Member

For those curious here is what Hot Rod was going to look like in DOTM.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  20. AMG

AMG Old School

I like this head design way better than the one that was used.