Shutter Island (spoilers within)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by SCPrime, Mar 1, 2010.

1. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There was only 1 thread I found for Shutter Island but it is closed and there was no replies to it so not sure why it was closed.

Anyways, anyone who have seen the movie what are your thoughts?

Do you think Leo Cap's character is telling the truth...that he is sane and that the island staff was doing unlawful/unethical experiments. Or do you think the staff of Shutter Island is telling the truth and that Leo Cap's character is insane and in denial of him committing murder?

2. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

Disclaimer: I'm not bothering with spoiler tags because it's in the thread title.

I thought the ending was pretty clear. Leo's character had deluded itself into thinking that it was still a detective. The flashback scene where his wife kills their kids is what led him to do this. In the end he finally accepts what he did, but then decides to act like he's still deluding himself so that they lobotomies him. That's why the last thing he says is, "Is it better to die a hero, or live as a monster?"

3. Optimus_Prowl

Optimus_Prowl I'm the Goddamed Two-Face

News Credits:
    Well I had that pegged from the first trailer. Good thing I didn't pay 10 bucks to see it too. Could care less about leo.

4. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    your missing out, it was a pretty good movie. My only complaint is how long it was but seems like everything nowadays is 3 hours long.

5. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Cool, that's exactly what I left the theater thinking. The doctor's 'experiment' worked, but Leo preferred the life he had created in his mind. Rather than live with the reality of what happened, he willingly pretended to still be insane so they would lobotomize him. Of course the lobotomy wouldn't kill him, but it would essentially kill his personality and allow him to cope.

Truly an excellent film. I remember hating Leo when I was younger, but films like this remind me of how misguided that sentiment was.

6. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I loved the movie, but it seems Leonardo DiCaprio is becoming typecast. He's got the same accent and attitude in damn near every movie I've seen him in lately.

7. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

I wonder if making a movie with someone other than Scorcese might change that. I'm pretty sure he's only worked with him since Gangs of New York in 2002.

8. SCPrime

News Credits:
    Yeah, I am leaning towards this ending as well. But I'm not so sure it's that clear. For as many reasons pointing to Leo's character being a patient, there are probably almost as many for why he may not be. I thought his last quote "better to die a hero, or live as a monster?" could have meant that he accepted the fact that he has lost the battle to uncover the unethical island experiments and would rather be lobotomized (and either die mentally or maybe even die physically as many people don't survive lobotomy) than to go with the doctor's story that he killed his wife and be admitted as a patient (and live the rest of his life as one of the "monsters" at the institution). Are there any part of the movie that definitely would point at Leo's character being a patient? His character meeting the Rachel Solondo character in the caves, do you think that was real or a hallucination?

At any rate, I loved the movie. I have a lot more respect for Leo as a serious actor after seeing The Departed and this movie.

9. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

I'm pretty sure that it wasn't meant to be an open ending where you're unsure about what really happened. Everything revealed in the ending is meant to explain why he's deluding himself into thinking he's still an active detective. How else can you explain why the lighthouse where all the supposed experiments were taking place turned out to be completely empty? The scene in the cave was definately just a figment of his imagination. Also, how would they be able to get his "partner" to go along with their story so quickly? It's because he was a doctor the whole time.

10. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    I REALLY need to see this movie.

11. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Liked this movie.

*SPOILER AHOY*
    I loved how through the entire movie it really seems Leo's character is right, and the moment you start to think he might not be, he runs into somebody who strengthens his belief.

Still, in the end there seems to be no way around it: he's the crazy.
    There's too much proof..some important things that they couldn't have faked.

Anyone notice in the beginning how 'Chuck' has difficulties taking off his gun holster when they have to give up their firearms?..he's not a marshal ;) 

Although I love how in the final scene it seems he fakes being crazy just to get lobotomized. And then they show the lighthouse again..maybe there are experiments there? :p 

12. NSP

NSP Trust Me!

Ebay:
    This movie is a mind - F*#&

:D 

13. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    When he was ascending the lighthouse and not finding anything, I was thinking, "Down! GO DOWN! There's a subterranean lab!" Doesn't seem like there would be enough space for labs and experimentation within the tower part anyway.

14. SCPrime

News Credits:
    Well, the experiments might not be conducted at the lighthouse. Or there may be a place in the lighthouse where the experiments were conducted but were not discovered by Leo yet. I mean, it's assumed that they were taking Leo to the lighthouse for a lobotomy (if nothing else) at the end of the movie so to do a procedure like a lobotomy you would need equipment (other than what was being shown being carried under the white cloth). So there must be a room somewhere in there full of equipment. It can't be completely empty or else they can't do a lobotomy. For the scene in the cave, that scene was different compared to all of his other flashback/hallucinations. That scene seemed "real". You can tell when he's having a flashback or hallucinating because either the scene becomes hazy, has abnormal events occuring (like turning to ashes), or the movie shows him waking up immediately after. But the scene in the cave had none of that. It would seem odd then that all other hallucinations can be easily picked up by the audience except the scene in the cave? I think the scene in the cave was real. Now whether it's real in the sense that the lady was truly an ex psych doctor there turned patient or "real" but a staff playing the role is debatable. His "partner" being a doctor does not necessarily mean Leo is a patient. The doctor playing as his partner could also mean he was in on the conspiracy to lure Leo to the island so that they can do something to him so that he can't expose the island of their unethical experiments. Remember Leo states he met this "partner" for the first time on the boat going to the island. So while I agree the "partner" is truly not his "partner" at all I don't entirely agree that the "partner" is 100% Leo's doctor for the past 2 years. Again, I'm leaning towards Leo being a patient but it's not as clear. For any event that one can point to as being obvious in pointing towards Leo being a patient an argument can be made (see my arguments above) that he landed on the island to investigate. About the only scene I can think of really that can point towards Leo being a patient and can't be argued against (at least I can't think of a counterargument) is Leo's first flashback of his wife. The flashback where his wife was in his arms and she turned to ashes (becaus Leo thinks his wife died in a fire) but also having her bleed from the stomach (fire doesn't cause bleeding so it could only mean the bleeding was from a gunshot). I can't think of any reason for why Leo would have that flashback unless imbedded somewhere in his mind (a part of his mind he's trying to suppress) that he shot his wife.

15. SCPrime

News Credits:
    Yep, I did notice "Chuck" having difficulty removing the firearm. As I stated above, I do believe Chuck is NOT a real marshall. However, that doesn't mean Chuck can't be a staff (maybe even a doctor) of the Island who pretended to be Leo's character (Teddy) partner to lure him to the island.

16. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

i loved all the subtle things in the movie such as the way the smoke moves and the disappearing glasses. things that make you think you are going crazy as you watch the movie.

17. SCPrime

News Credits:
    Something just came to me. If Teddy (Leo's character) faked a relapse in the end in order to get lobotomized so that he would "die a hero", then that would mean he now knows/accepts that he killed his wife. So knowing/accepting that, he wouldn't "die a hero" but rather a "monster". He would go out knowing/accepting that he killed his wife...knowing/accepting that he is a "monster". Unless by knowing/accepting the truth then he is no longer a "monster"?

18. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that he doesn't want to "live as a monster" either. If he got lobotomized, he would no longer need to remember killing his wife or having the wife kill his kids. A lobotomy doesn't necessarily cause you to die (but it might), so he might not have been planning to die. You can also look at it as Teddy/Andrew trying to convince Mark Ruffalo that he was crazy again. EG, "dying a hero" was Andrew's attempt to convince Chuck that he was insane again.

19. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

I think the 'Live as a monster' bit was meant to describe that he was one of the island's most violent patients.