Shrinking Generations Deluxes

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Duximus Prime, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Duximus Prime

Duximus Prime Chronomancer

Ebay:
    Firstly, I apologize if this has been talked about previously, but I frequent the forums and news sites and have not seen anything addressing it specifically, only unofficial fandom comments alluding to what I'm bringing up.

After seeing the scale of recent FoC deluxes, I'm starting to get concerned. Has Hasbro officially announced that, in an effort to keep deluxes at the same price point, they are reducing deluxe size and complexity?

Recent lines like the Prime RiD toy seems to be as large/complex as previous current-era deluxes. But looking at the figures that have been revealed, not only do the FoC deluxes look smaller, but more simplistic. The amount of articulation has been reduced, transformations less complex, and the overall level of detail is much less.

[​IMG]

If there isn't something that I'm missing, I'm surprised that the fandom is not in more of an uproar about this if we can expect it in future lines. The figures will not be in scale with their previous contemporaries of the same aesethic, and quality is being cut for revenue.

Has there be any one word from Hasbro on if this trend is going to continue into all future TF lines, or is just being limited to FoC (to, perhaps, keep a deluxe combiner feasible)? If the former, I'd much rather pay a higher price for deluxes at the same scale and sophistication as the previous ones in my collection than get essentially scout-quality figures at a slightly larger size.

2. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    I'm going to wait until I have them in hand before I compare sizes. They don't look too bad but you can't really tell without a direct comparison. Also hands...cylinders with holes? I thought that's how it's always really been. Just glanced over at the stuff I got and it feels like it's been that way for the majority of figures since Classics in 2006.

3. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They started making the figures pretty small with DOTM, and continued it with Prime RiD and 2012 Generations. First Edition Prime figures are old size.

4. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    Actually it's always been like that, since G1. Beast Wars, RID, Armada, Energon, Cybertron, etc;...

Open hands didn't become a trend until very recently.

5. Duximus Prime

Ebay:
    I've got non-FE Prime Wheeljack and he is just as large, complex, and detailed as, say, Generations Drift.

6. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    I hope you don't mean to imply Drift is complex. Drift is disgustingly and disappointingly simple, which includes all decos of that mold. RID Wheeljack is on a higher tier than Drift, if you ask me.

7. Duximus Prime

Ebay:
    I've aware that the open hands is a new thing. I guess I meant to say that even by previous cylinder-hand standards, these things seem especially simplistic. I know that's probably a biased statement, and I can't really substantiate it, but that's how they appear to me.

8. Duximus Prime

Ebay:
    I didn't mean to imply that ether Drift or Wheeljack were especially complex deluxes-- merely that they were approximately similar in complexity to eachother and the rest of most modern deluxes. They are still substantially more involved than, say a recent scout-class figure or Energon combiner body or limb.

9. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Ya know, I never liked the transformations that gave wheels on arms. Looks like Popeye arms with them.

10. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    ROTF set the standard high for deluxe complexity. Thanks to ROTF I can now transform almost anything one handed and blindfolded. I don't find a lot of Transformers anywhere complex at all, but that's just me. I think that's the problem...we're colored by the complexity of ROTF figures, but when you put them to comparison, Generations deluxes and other Classicsverse toys that's come out aren't any less complex than say, 2006 Classics and 2007 Universe 2.0 stuff. If anything, ROTF is the anomaly as it was overly complex for the scale.

I have every FE toy except for the Vehicon and Optimus Prime, and NONE of them save Cliffjumper are complex. Especially Bulkhead, where all the parts are so blatantly obvious to where they go in alt mode that it boggles my mind that people actually consider him complex. FE Bumblebee I wouldn't consider complex, but more fiddly as it's tough to get all the parts to where they need to be easily due to the size and how everything kinda bangs together in alt mode.

I think deluxes are where they need to be. At a glance, Shockwave and Jazz seem to be standard as far as deluxe complexity goes when going off of Classics standards, rather than those set by ROTF. Only Prime seems to be simplistic, I feel.

11. Duximus Prime

Ebay:
    I'd certainly agree that ROTF was especially complex for its size-class and price point. But honestly, that's not really what I'm talking about here. I don't even own any RotF figures sans Lockdown and Bludgeon.

I don't even mind transformation that are simplistic as long as they're fun and/or clever (I have no problem with Drift or the seeker mold because they are intuitive and easy to pose/fiddle with). I'm concerned more about the scale, level of detail and articulation that FoC are going to have compared to the rest of classics.

These new figures literally look like upscaled scout-class figures to me, regardless of transformation complexity. I have had no problem with the state of Generations-esque lines until I saw the recent FoC reveals.

12. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    IIRC, At toy fair, someone stood WFC Megatron beside FOC prime, and FOC Prime was a good bit smaller.

WFC Megatron isn't that big? So i'm inclined to say, yes they have shrunk.

13. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Gotta shave off some expenses here and there in this economy. They're still awesome toys, so honestly if I feel I get my money's worth proportionate to the amount of awesome, I don't really care how big or small they are.

Which is why I'm only buying Shockwave.

14. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

I'm not planning on collecting them now, honestly.....With the exception of Shockwave, who I feel is the best, I'm just not impressed with the ones they've shown us.The quality isn't there for me.

I'm also not interested in having a deluxe Grimlock in a FOC collection that will end up smaller than Bumblebee thanks to the downsizing (he'll go in my Grimlock collection). And since we've got nothing on possible voyagers......

15. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    As I said, I think it would be a better idea to hold off on judgements like that until we get in-hand comparisons with WfC Generations figures. Jazz doesn't really look all that bad, to me at least, and looking at the pic again he's got all necessary articulation...ball joint at the hips, upper thigh swivel, bicep swivel, as well as the usual suspects. His hands probably fold into the forearms so I'm not expecting wrist, but all the proper articulation is there. Looks like Optimus has standard articulation as well including a waist joint, which immediately puts him on a class above a lot of other deluxe Transformers.

Shockwave is the only one that appears to be disappointing. It's hard to tell with that one, but it looks like he may lack a thigh swivel, but the bicep swivel seems to be there.

16. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I would think there has been some effort to simplify figures. The ROTF figures were very detailed complex and fiddly with lots of tabs. This made transformations difficult for younger kids. I know my nephews favoured the Cybertron toys, over the ROTF ones because they could transform them.

17. Duximus Prime

Ebay:
    Again, I'd like to shift the discussion away from transformation complexity. I didn't mean to place emphasis on that. I agree that overly complex/fiddly figures like WFC Bumblebee, mostly the entire ROTF line, and say, Generations Darkmount, are a Bad Thing(TM).

I'm more concerned with the decreased size, amount of molded/painted detail, and articulation with FoC figures compared to other classics with which they are meant to stand.

The consensus from what I can gather here is that the Hasbro has not said anything about this formally about future lines, and that most of the fandom is okay with it.

18. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Complexity? Sure. But when I fiddle with Generations Blurr he has more heft in both modes than Wheeljack.

19. Duximus Prime

Ebay:
    I'd agree that Drift/Blurr is pretty substantial for a modern deluxe, and certainly on the upper end in terms of mass. Perhaps a comparison to another typical car mold, like Sunstreaker or Prowl, would've been more appropriate.

Still Prime Wheeljack is noticeably larger/more sophisticated than these FoC deluxe images would have us believe.

20. Kylehudson14

Kylehudson14 On when I'm on

They've started shrinking since DOTM & they've only gotten smaller! Yes, I have noticed they've gone down in complexity. Its really bothering me, Im feel like Im being cheated. I really dont understand why more ppl arent concerned about this! Paying the same price for smaller figures, :mad