Showing off my hobby...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by edf, Sep 2, 2012.

1. edf

edf Well-Known Member

Well, i am not th eone with the awesome toy collection, but I have a collection I would like to share with ya.

I am a snake breeder. I only work with ball pythons now, but got some carpet pythons growing.

I truly love snakes- truely is my passion. I was always fascinated with snakes, but my mom had a no snake rule. Luckily, my b.f wanted a bp, and bam- i was hooked from there!

Here are some pictures of my snakes- some of which Iproduced here.

Spider male
    [​IMG]

Mocha- female with funky high white sides
    [​IMG]

Cinny male
    [​IMG]

Pastel Female
    [​IMG]

Lesser male
    [​IMG]

bumblebee male ( spider bred to a pastel)
    [​IMG]

Mojave in shed
    [​IMG]

Super pastel female ( pastel to a pastel)
    [​IMG]

and my blue eyed lucy ( all white snake withblue eyes- from breeding lesser to mojave)
    [​IMG]
    Her name is skid marks- cause those brown marks on her arent her pattern- its poop.

Here is a clutch of eggs ( on the large side- 11 eggs, average is 6ish)
    [​IMG]

here they are pipping ( poking their heads out of the egg)
    [​IMG]

:D  Any other snake owners here?

2. Ecchokat

Ecchokat Ponyologiest for Hire!

Ebay:
    They are so cute. I had a breeding pair a long time ago sadly I had to sale them when I moved back home my Mother is deadly afraid of snakes. I love to me some more. I albino corn snake is what I would love to have you can't keep python in the county where I live.

3. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

Snakes? AAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

4. edf

edf Well-Known Member

I hear ya with the mom issue! I am sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately, pythons are starting to be banned for false accusations. You can always double check to make sure- sometimes its size restrictions on th e pythons. sadly tho, some places it dont matter.

5. edf

edf Well-Known Member

aww man- they are docile. I guess the no legs freaks ya out? ;) 

6. Grimlock22

Grimlock22 Some sort of artist

Aww so cute. Still give me the creep though

7. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Those are neat pics. I see snake eggs pick up newspaper ink like silly putty.
    I don't own any. I caught a gopher snake in the back yard last week. I took it out of the neighborhood and let it go.

8. Chaplain

Chaplain Well-Known Member

Awesomely cute.

'Skids' reminds me of the all white snake my Brother Used to have named Skully. I'm trying to find out if she was a Blue-eyed Lucy too: they look pretty similar.

9. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Snakes are not pets and belong in the wild

10. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Enough is ENOUGH. I've had it with these motherfucking snakes on this MOTHERFUCKING FORUM!

Seriously though, that's one of the most awesome hobbies a person can pick. "Oh what's your hobby?" "I breed. goddamn. Snakes." [the goddamn is necessary].

11. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    I have had it with these motherfucking snakes on this motherfucking forum!

Sorry, I just had to. But anyway, do you professionally do this, or is just like a "hobby?"

EDIT: Aww, Overlord Balder beat me to it.

12. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dawwww, those snakes are super cute. Thanks for sharing the pics :D 

13. edf

edf Well-Known Member

There are several species of snakes that have the lucy complex- rat snakes are one that have white with blue eyes. So, chances are, Skully very well could have been a lucy too. :D 

I only do this as a hobby. To do this for a living- requires the top notch morphs right away, when they are like 20 grand and up, and alot of snakes. I only have about 35 with this seasons babies. I am also in a 1 bedroom apartment- with a huge closet where the snakes are ( its a walkin closet) so i'd need much more room. I dont think I will ever do it as a living- because then you have to sell snakes to make a living. I only breed a few clutches a year- his season I knocked it up a bit, but so far- most didnt take. But with the economy crash- snakes i paid 900 bucks for are going for 200.

LOL- yeah, i get that line from snakes on a plane a lot. i get a good laugh

14. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

snakes is so cute

15. Starfire22

Starfire22 Zoot Suit Riot

News Credits:
    Beat me to it. :lol 

16. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    Pointless fun fact: I'm the only person in my WHOLE FAMILY that's not scared of snakes.

Anyways....yeah. That's one awesome hobby you got there. May you have fun with your snake buddies for a real long time.:lol 

17. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    OOOOOh yeah BROTHER! Check out these 24 inch pythons! What? 24 inches is not that impressive a size for many species of pythons and constrictors? I... I see... I'll go now.

What are those markings on the eggs? Inspection and breeder information marks?

Can you control (or influence) the gender of the snakes that hatch by managing the temperature the eggs are kept in?

18. edf

edf Well-Known Member

The X's mark which side is up-tho wasnt needed fo rthat clutch since they were stuck together. Its to make sure the eggs dont roll through incubation- because at some certain point- if th etop side is changed- the snakes will die. I did make a big error thi s season- i moved, and the eggs rolled, and i didnt mark which side was up. It was pur e luck that they were ok!

as far as controlling genders- there is speculations that warmer incubating temps can give you more females. Last season I incubated at 90, and got like 3.11 ( 3 males . 11 females) I was incubating around 88-89 this season. I have issues with sexing babies on my own, so dont know the gender outcome yet. But with incubating at higher temps- you can cause issues if it is too hot- like deformities and deaths. You can do so at lower temps with less risk, tho, too low they can die too.

pairing snakes is the easy part- egg care is the deal maker/breaker. I lost an entire clutch due to water dripping on the top last season, but the eggs need 100% humidity ( or very close to it) but cannot get wet. 4 died 10 days into incubation. 2 went full term- or at least close to it, an d you can bet, the 2 that almost made it, were th e best of that entire season.

Been keeping bps for 8 years. You do a lot of cage cleaning, sanitizing, and temp checks!

19. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    I thought it would be kinda awesome to have a pet toad someday, but y'know, snakes are cool too.

I should see if I can find the pictures of me with an albino python from Thailand. Not my snake, but it's still a snake to share. Lemme see if I can find them...

EDIT: Kay, I was really excited that he let me hold it so yes I'm grinning like an idiot. Very aware.
    [​IMG] <-That's the guy that owned the snake. (or more likely, captured him to show tourists.)
    [​IMG]
    (It looks like I'm smelling him... Oh dear. I was actually unwrapping him from my neck 'cause he was getting a bit too "huggy.")

20. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    snakes are kinda cool, but there's nothing cute about them. To each their own.