Minor/Repaint: Show Accurate Skyfire, Jazz Speakers

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Renegade Razor, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Renegade Razor

Renegade Razor Renegade Team Leader

Skyfire is my favorite character second only to Optimus Prime. It always bothered me how cool he was on the show, and how different the toy was. So after I got a Skyfire in good shape, I decided to take my broken one and rebuild him into a show accurate version, or at least pretty close. I started with the wings and realized that they were not part of his body, but rather his jet pack instead. And the rest was easy. He needs a little paint touch up and I have to do his face and so on. But I love it!!! His jet pack comes off in one piece and can be re-positioned for each form.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, I gave Jazz his "monsters"! Check 'em out! "Haha! Rock 'n' roll with real rocks! Maybe I better wind down my woofers!"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can tell, I'm a fanatic about the Gen 1 show. I watch at least 1 episode every day, and get my inspiration from there.

Attached Files:

2. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    AWESOME! Very cool. As for the speakers, if there was a way to play that rock music they always play in the episodes that drive Prime crazy, that would be so cool.

What is that song by the way?

3. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

looks good so far ,i've got the same thing going on with a skyfire project of mine,I used metroplex's face and the OG. toy's helmet and some putty for the head but UM's face isnt a bad choice either. Keep it up man maybe it will make me get back on mine...i hope..lol

4. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Here's a suggestion, paint skyfires toes white. Not only would that make it more accurate in robot mode (if memory serves me correctly), but it would really sell the jet mode. Especially the back/underside.
    Nice work. I've seen lots of people do skyfires, but yours is so simple, it works really well.

So are you displaying this in your G1 collection?
    Randy!

5. Renegade Razor

Quote- "AWESOME! Very cool. As for the speakers, if there was a way to play that rock music they always play in the episodes that drive Prime crazy, that would be so cool.

What is that song by the way?"

Most of the time it was excerpts from the Cold Slither song from the G.I.Joe series just looped. Other times it was just a cool guitar riff.

6. Renegade Razor

Thank you. Yes, my custom occupy the same shelves as the originals.

7. Renegade Razor

Ooh, I didn't think about that. Metroplex' face would have been perfect. And thank you.

8. Autobot-X1

Autobot-X1 Mentaly Hilarious

Ebay:
    Jetfire/Skyfire and Jazz look Great!! What did you use to make Jazz's Speakers?

9. Autobot-X1

Autobot-X1 Mentaly Hilarious

Ebay:
    Why "Skyfire"?

We may never be certain of the exact circumstances behind the change from Jetfire to Skyfire. There are, however, a few known factors, and a lot of theories.

* Not all of Hasbro's Transformers product originated with Takara. The Macross Super Valkyrie, the toy that would become Jetfire, came from a company called Takatoku (who were also responsible for the toys that became Roadbuster, Whirl, and the Deluxe Insecticons). Why did Hasbro market non-Takara product? Bob Prupis, one of the original members of the Transformers marketing team, would frequently go to Toy Fairs in Asia, where "any product that really looked good that was exciting we didn't care where it came from. We did some work with Bandai, who had been working with other people, and took a few products that looked right for our line"[1]. The Super Valkyrie, then, must have met their criteria for inclusion.

* As a larger toy, it would follow that Hasbro would want to sell Jetfire by including him in the Transformers animated series. However, even though Hasbro had the rights to release Takatoku's Super Valkyrie in the US Transformers toyline, Hasbro's chief collaborator on Transformers was still Takara. It may have been that Takara always had plans to air the Transformer animated series in their own market (as it featured a majority of their products), and objected to the inclusion of a competitor's product on the show. This may also be why no other Takatoku-designed toys appeared in the series, although their relatively smaller sizes as compared to Jetfire may have been a factor in Hasbro not including them.

* As the theory goes, the Jetfire animation model was adjusted to look less like the toy as a compromise to Takara. However - perhaps because it now failed to look like the product it was supposed to be advertising - the character became "Skyfire".

* Conversely, it is possible that licensing issues played in to the decisions to change Jetfire to Skyfire; the story bible for G1 writers mentions how Jetfire had been "transformed" into Skyfire for "legal reasons".

* The evidence of Robotech influencing Jetfire-related decisions is murky. That show began airing in syndication in March of 1985, whereas "Fire In The Sky", the first episode with Skyfire, aired December 8th, 1984 - and would have had to have been written and animated much before then. Statements indicate that it took nine months to edit Robotech together, placing the start of production somewhere around July of 1984. So... who knows. All that's certain is that Hasbro licensing the Super Valkyrie seemingly did prevent the use of that toy in Matchbox's Robotech toyline.

10. GAUGE

GAUGE In Art, Nothing Is Impossible.

News Credits:
    Now that I look at cartoon jazz's speaker more closely, they look like Giant MEGAPHONES.

nice job on both projects.

11. withprecision

withprecision Well-Known Member

awesome!
    i think if they ever release a masterpiece skyfire, it wouldn't be far off from this =]

12. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    I wish I had that Skyfire. And that Jazz. Awesome detailing on both.

13. Renegade Razor

Thanks. The jets from the universe Skyfire edition.

14. 1980kid

1980kid Well-Known Member

kudos to you for this, this is great, just like he's stepped out the cartoon!!

15. Renegade Razor

Thank you!

16. Renegade Razor

Thanks. That's what I wanted!