Show Accurate Beast Wars Tech Specs

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by The_Ovlar, Dec 14, 2009.

1. The_Ovlar

The_Ovlar Predacon

Has anyone ever been disappointed with how inaccurate the Tech Specs for some BW characters are? I've always been, so I've tried to make a set that were closer to the show, and I though why not get some like minded people to help.

First thing we have to establish what the Tech Spec Represent. These are my own interpretations, so call me out if they're wrong.

Strength: How Physically strong the character is, his lifting and punching power.

Intelligence: How Smart they are. Includes building tools/weapons and battle field strategy.

Speed: The characters land/air speed. Also, how fast their reactions are (dodging skill)

Endurance: How much damage they can withstand without going offline.

Rank: How independently mined they are, their willingness/desire to leaded and how much other characters will believe and follow them. Ei, their ability to lie.

Courage: How brave they are and how well they can keep a level head in emergencies.

Firepower: How powerful their weapons are and how many weapons they have.

Skill: How good a shot they are, how good they are at fighting in close combat.

So to start it off, we need to figure out who (if anybody) will have a 10 or a 1 in any particular stat. There will be no 10+ in these, except in the most extreme examples like rampage's endurance or Optimal Optimus' Strength.

For now, lets stick to the First season characters. These are my votes;

Str 10: Rhinox, Megatron ______________Str1: ? Rattrap mabe a 3
    Int 10: Rhinox, Megatron, Triantulas._____Int 1: Scorpinox
    Speed 10: Air Razor, Cheetor___________Speed 1: ? Rhinox 3
    End 10: Inferno, Megatron_____________End 1: ? Triantulas 3
    Rnk 10: Megatron, Black A._____________Rnk 1: Waspinator
    Cor 10: Optimus, Rhinox_______________Cor 1: Waspinator
    Frp 10: Optimus______________________Frp 1: ? Dinobot 3
    Skill 10: Rattrap, Tigatron______________Skill 1: ? Inferno 2?

A 1 does seem a little harsh in most casses, a 3 or a 2 may be as low as we want to go.

Thats all for now, anyone interested should brainstorm some ideas of their own.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Show accuracy has been an issue since the first days of G1, and tech specs are no exception. Especially considering reducing a character's abilities and strengths to a simple number from 1 to 10 from a show with as complex characterization as Beast Wars can be extremely difficult. It doesn't help that the toy characterizations don't always match the show ones, either.

Using your scale, how do you think some of the show character's complete tech specs look, using examples from the show? How different is this from their toy's?

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    The other big issue with the tech specs is size. The most gigantic Transformer is going to be in a completely different league compared to the little guys. Fortunately, that is not so much of an issue with BW, though.

Even so, there are some issues. Waspinator, for example, could be either a 1 or a 2 in Endurance since he blows up really easy, or a 10, because he survives a lot worse than most other Predacons do.

4. The_Ovlar

The_Ovlar Predacon

Yes true, size does play a large roll in Streagth but not much else, like intelligence, so I don't feel size plays that big a roll. (again the beast wars transformers tend not to be too different in size). As for Waspinators Endurance, I would have to say its on the lower side as most of his survivability is based on it being funny. The Best rule of thumb for endurance is are they still combat ready after the hit.

To start with I'll do Optimus and Megatron as their Tech-specs are the most off, IMO.

Optimus Primal
    His Toy bio gives him 10's across the board, but in the cartoon he was far from the most powerful transformer. Rhinox would be stronger then him and air-razor is faster. His Endurance i find is his worst stat, he has been badly hurt by single hits from terrorsaur, megatron, and once even be waspinator. Also those jets on his back are very prone to damage. Optimus I believe has the highest firepower of all the season 1 characters, his shoulder missiles have been the only weapon to take out inferno and megatron with a single shot. I only give a value of 10 in skill to characters who prove to be amazing shots, optimus is skilled in close combat, but his marksman ship could be a bit better.

Str 9
    Int 10
    Spd 9
    End 8
    Rnk 9
    Cor 10
    Frp 10
    Skl 9

Megatron
    Again, the toy bio gives him 10's in everything except intelligence, which is 9. Megatron is not all that fast, most characters can beet him in a race. His weapons also dont seem as powerful as optimus' so hes getting a 9 in firepower. And as for his courage, he of course puts his own life ahead of everyone's, and would flee a battle where hes outnumbered, hes not about selfless heroics. As for his intelligence, he is a master of devious planning, and playing characters off one another, plus, he invented transmetal 2 technology. Hes getting a 10 in both intelligence and rank.

Str 10
    Int 10
    Spd 6
    End 10
    Rnk 10
    Cor 9
    Frp 9
    Skl 9

5. Scaleface

Scaleface TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    When working on my RPG rules I always considered strength and speed to be enhanced by size. Two characters with a 10 strength and one is bigger than the other, the bigger one proportionally stronger. That way a normal sized Autobot with a 10 STR and a normal sized Maximal with a STR 10 DO NOT lift the same amount of weight. Otherwise you'd see Optimus Primal and Omega Supreme lifting the same amount of weight.

As for show accurate tech specs, I had started making some of those - but by that I was using better pictures than the original art, like this:

[​IMG]

6. The_Ovlar

The_Ovlar Predacon

Yes like I said, if keeping with the BW show only, the sizes dont go to those extremes. It would be very unlikely for a small transformer, such as rattrap, to have a equal stat in Strength of a larger transformer, such as Rhinox. I would never try to compare Tech-spec's to different TV shows, the technology of the autobots is less advanced, but the amount of power that could wield was immense. For instance, if Optimus Prime is Str 10, Optimus Primal would be closer to Str 3.

As for your tech spec Scaleface, it looks great. Altho I was going to give Blackarachnia and Int of 9 and a rnk of 9 or 10. She, of all the BW Characters, was the most independently minded IMO. She was always working towards her own agenda, and was very good at making fun little toys for the preds, like her signature dampener, the Gizmo she used to get passed the Maximal Shields, and the "Bomb" in a better mouse trap, to name but a few. Of course Rank may mean something different to you then to me :p .

7. Scaleface

Scaleface TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, as I said, if strrength is indexed for size then you can have small guys with a 10 STR, since they WOULD be able to lift as much as a big guy with a STR 10 IF they were the same size.

Since they all have STR 10, Optimus Primal, Optimus Prime and Omega Supreme would lift the same amount of weight IF THEY WERE THE SAME SIZE.

I didn't actually change anything on the Blackarachnia tech spec in numbers. I just put in a show picture, added a motto, and added the bit about her being an infected Maximal protoform.

In my RPG Rank, besides military rank, is how impressive you are, your presence. Skills like intimidation, acting, bluffing, etc, and given a bonus from your rank.

More examples minor edited on a Tech Specs to make it more show accurate...

The original and the updated:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

For the Rhinox tech specs I used the revised numbers from the 10th anniversary toy, which were changed from the original toy to more reflect the show.

I wrote all these before the Beast Wars Sourcebooks were published, so I didn't have the new official mottos, I just used show quotes.