Show accuracy? Pssh...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Autobot X, May 13, 2012.

1. Autobot X

Autobot X Too broke for 3P and MP.

We've all heard it before: "The toy for such and such doesn't look like his animation model," or "FE Prime is more show-accurate than PRID Prime."

Has anyone ever thought that instead of creating animation models that look cool and then trying to make toys that succeed or fail at being show accurate (usually fail), Hasbro should go back to just making nice-looking and functional toys, then letting the animators create models based off the toys?

Beast Wars (especially season 2 & 3) did a great job of that, then Beast Machines gave us interesting designs that generally failed to translate well into toy form.

The Energon and Cybertron shows were really toy-accurate, too, though I know those shows are not necessarily held as paragons of story telling.

Would people complain about PRID Bumblebee as much if the animation model looked just like the toy?

(If I seem like I'm rambling, I'm pretty sick and heavily medicated. :puke: )

2. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    That's why I miss Cybertron, the animation models were basically CAD models that were practically the exact same thing as the toys and nobody would be complaining about the toys.

3. Galvanitro

Galvanitro Vanguardian

News Credits:
    Plus, with the exception of the Gigantion dudes (as well as Primus, Primus-sized Starscream, and HUGE Galvatron), they were all perfectly in scale with each other as well.

4. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What about Animated? That show had good show designs, good story telling and a toy line that emulated the show transformations extremely closely.

5. Autobot X

True, they (meaning all parties involved) did a really good job with Animated.

6. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And don't forget the original RiD line. The story telling could have been better, but the figures we're spot on for the show. For the show accuracy thing, while I love it, I guess it isn't necessary because it then Guyver me something to do with my time when I'm bored, lol.

7. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

I must be weird then, cause I like when the toys are made to look as close as possible to their CGI models way more than CGI models made to like their toys. One of the main reasons why I like the Movie and Prime toylines.

8. bossprime

bossprime wrecker

I was JUST thinking about this and I totally agree.
    I think this is why some prime figures are suffering and being hated on.

9. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Same. I don't want the designers for an on-screen project to be limited by the constraints of a cheap plastic toy. It really hobbles the creativity of the designs, and is a case of the cart leading the horse. Ideally the character designers would take the first broad strokes stab at a design, then the toymakers would do their best to replicate it in plastic, and finally, maaaybe the character designers would make a few tweaks and allowances to pull it back to the toy version.

But even then, Transformers has almost always been a case of the toys and the on-screen representations being slightly different from each other, and adapted to fit their medium. Honestly, the perfectly toy-based models in the AEC series just made the thing feel even more like a damn toy commercial (which, yeah, I know that's what ALL TF shows/movies are, but AEC stripped away any subtlety about it).

10. Autobot X

I feel the opposite about the horse-cart thing. Transformers is, first and foremost, a toy line, and thus I believe the toys should always come first. Especially these days when the only animated fiction is on a premium cable network. Many kids who might buy the toys probably haven't been able to watch the show. I'd rather have a good toy than a fiddly, hard-to-transform toy that somehow manages to pull of the crazy design aesthetic of a TV show that my family can't afford to pay the cable bill to watch. Just my :2c: 

11. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like cool looking things. I don't really care what came first as long as what I have is cool. If a toy is cooler than its show adaptation then I'm fine. If a show has a better looking version of a character than the toy then I am sad face.

FE Bulkhead and Optimus are cases where both are great.

12. Hellbot

Hellbot Jaeger

Could not have said it better myself.

13. ubertenorman

ubertenorman Well-Known Member

I think it works best when the toy is made first but designed to look good translated to an animation model. Or when the toy and animation designs are created more or less simultaneously (like in Animated, I think). While toys that translate complex models into physical toys can be very well done and are very creative in their execution, more often than not the toy suffers in some way.

14. PowermasterJazz

PowermasterJazz Well-Known Member

The Prime toys rock. Enjoy them or quit buying them.

15. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Eh, toy->show tends to have awkward consequences on storytelling. TFTM is pretty infamous for literally wiping out all the old stock, but Beast Wars was also very haphazard with Transmetalization.
    Plus, you really wouldn't get the distinct aesthetics of Movieverse, Animated, Prime, or even WfC.

16. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I wonder why no one's mentioned this, but the Robots in Disguise series/Car Robots, did a fantastic job of giving us a lot of show accurate toys, with good articulation and such. One of my favorite lines, and the one that brought me back to TF collecting.

17. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think the All Hail Megatron comics did this- they drew the characters like their MP or Classics figures (for the most part) and I think it was detrimental. I didn't want to a gun trigger on Megatron's inner calf, that looks stupid. I accept it on a toy because hey, that's how it goes. But for artwork (and by extension, a cartoon) shouldn't be limited to that.

18. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the rid bumblebee is a bad example of this imo, they already got the transformation close to perfect on the FE figure, then neutered it to add a gimmick and shrink it.

19. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Totally agree bro. :rock 

20. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As is always mentioned whenever this topic comes up every few weeks: the reason Animated worked so well is because the toy & animation designs were created simultaneously so as to achieve the best possible fusion of both. And that's the way it should be. It looked like the same was done with TFP based on the first editions, but clearly they threw a lot of that out the window.