Show accuracy, how important is it to you?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Lumpy, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i was watching my beast wars special features, and they have animation models based directly off the toys, and they just looked horrible. i'm so glad we got stuff that was diffferent...and that made me think, how important is show accuracy? i'm kinda torn, as show accuracy is pretty nice, but at the same time, some toys just dont seem like they'd work as well...now i realize that more recently it seems like they shows are trying to be more accurate to the toys, but i just wondered what everyone thinks....

2. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    i was pissed when i was a kid cause i wanted the robot mode of the toys to match the cartoon version of them. but now, everthing has come together as far as robot modes and vehicle modes. the toy design has come a far way, but i still love the G1 toys.

3. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    I think Beast Wars had the perfect balance. Different enough to be dynamic, but close enough that if you watch the show, you know how to transform the toy.

G1 and Beast Machines went too far in stylizing them. The transformations were just tween morphs.

Cybertron and Energon are too accurate, the characters on the show wind up looking like pieces of plastic.

4. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    When I was a kid, it mattered. There were certain TFs I didn't buy back then (that I wish I had now) because the robot modes were too far removed from the way they appeared on the show. Examples: Megatron, Ratchet, Ironhide, Brawn.

I guess that's why I liked the Action Masters so much. Granted, they didn't transform, but at least they looked like the characters on the TV show.

Today, it doesn't matter as much to me, except for nostalgia's sake. I do like the Robot Masters figures because they're so close to the show versions. But as toys they are very cheap and flimsy and kinda suck.

I like the Classics line because they managed to combine the designs of the original toys with fairly show-accurate bot-modes. But my collecting habit today is just based on my opinion of the toy itself. If I think it's cool, I buy it.

5. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I prefer for the animation to stick to the toys, with reinterpretation only where necessary. Even when you know the toy is actually the original design, getting to like an inaccurate character on screen causes a feeling of "aww, why can't the toy look like that?" even if there's absolutely nothing wrong with the toy.

6. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    How important? Well, I would have gotten MP Starscream despite the QC issues had it looked like Starscream.

Oh the other hand, I'm glad that some of the new Movie Transformers aren't that show accurate.

So I guess the bottom line is: It depends.

7. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

When I was a kid it wasn't important. Although the G1 toys I had like Wreck-gar and Kup looked close enough to the cartoon anyway. Hell the G1 toys I have now look similar to the cartoon/comic counterpart

But now I collect toys based on their looks. And it's what I loved about RID, Armada, Energon and Cybertron/Galaxy Force. The cartoon and toy counterparts look alike.

8. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I always prefered show accurate toy designs and toy accurate show designs to be inter-changable. That's one of the best parts of Cybertron imo, the show characters looked a lot like the toys.

9. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

It matters to me not outside of the supposed Masterpiece TakaraTomy line, since I haven't watched the toons since BM was over.

On the other hand, MP-03 was a no for me from the get-go precisely because of its differences to the cartoon.

10. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

When it's lazy, as it was with lots of the G1 toys (Ironhide/Ratchet are the best examples, but Wheeljack's gorilla-arms are pretty rough), it irritates me.

When an honest attempt is made, and the differences are obviously the result of one idea being realized in two different mediums, it doesn't bother me all.

11. y2jversion1

y2jversion1 Rent this space today!

Ebay:
    My thoughts exactly! That was one of the main reasons I bought all of the BW figures.

12. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Pretty important to me.

The first wave of BM looked nothing like the toys and aside from Jetstorm not all that great. It was like the cartoon was developed after the toys were made.

Rid has a really good balance of both.

13. flamepanther

What do you mean by "lazy" exactly?

14. Wiggyof09

Wiggyof09 Well-Known Member

Well since I've always looked at the shows first and then gotten the toys I preffer the toys to look like the show, not the show to look like the toys. That's what I mean by show accuracy anyway. So I never really liked the original BW stuff, but some of the later stuff and especially the transmetals I thought were great. The problem with a lot of the later stuff like Cybertron is that they made the show models toy like so that the toys could copy them 100% accurate. While that is great, it also kind of sucks. So basically I think it worked for Beast Wars, but RiD probably did the best job of keeping good alt modes and accurate robot modes.

15. flamepanther

You've got it backwards though. The toys were made first, so the show is copying them.

16. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I understand that G1's not the best example of toy/show accuracy, thanks to it's twisted history w/ Diaclone, Bandai, etc.

But in the case of Ironhide/Ratchet, and Wheeljack (probably my favorite character, so maybe I'm getting some fanitis), there didn't really seem to be any attempt to match the toy and show images up. I get that making a toy look like the show, either animated or CG, can be difficult and probably won't ever be perfect. But I'd like to see an effort. Cybertron/GF did a great job of matchin them up. Whether or not that made the show appearances suffer is a seperate argument.

17. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    The first two seasons' toys were NEVER going to change. They were all designed, manufactured and ON THE MARKET before the show was made.

Now, if you wanted the animators to make ironhide a headless skeleton riding a skateboard tank in the show, that's a possibility.

18. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Importance? I dont know if "show accuracy" toys are important for a collector but in some toys the show colors match better.

19. Wiggyof09

Wiggyof09 Well-Known Member

I know thats the way it is, but that's not how I see it as I always saw the TV show first and those are the designs I see as the hcaracters. So I want show accurate toys, not toy accurate shows.

20. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    It's not really super important, though i do find myself gravitating more towards a "show accurate" version when one exists. As long as it doesn't cost a whole lot more than the non-accurate one, at least.

This is, of course, assuming there are two versions of a given figure...