Shouts GI Joe series 2, anyone picking it up?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Backpack, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

Just wondering. I went out and got it this morning and have been watching it. Though it's no where near as good as Sunbow's GI Joe it's still kind of fun watching as I have only seen them once when they originally aired.... and many I have never watched even once.

I thought they were shit back when they first aired, as I had already shifted to Anime. But even then I felt it had some decent shots of quality animation.

It's interesting to see DIC try to mimic the original series style.... and actually come pretty close. Though it does come off as more MASK like. The opening mini-series is even weirder because it's like a hybrid, using the opening song and show music from Sunbow's Joe.

I have often wished that Transformers had gotten a series in 1990 by DIC as well. Even of the same quality I'm sure I would have liked it a bit more than GI Joe.... if only because it was Transformers. Actually every now and then I use to have dreams that they had created a show.... I would come across it airing super early in the morning and freak out.... even in my dream the animation was pretty bad. Wonder why Hasbro didn't do a Transformers show? If they even considered it? And if they did, why they decided not to?

2. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got this last week from Deepdiscountdvd.com. Although everyone and their mother warned me, I was still taken aback by the level of suck of the Dic cartoons.

Granny Dearest and The Nozone conspiracy, OMG, WTF?! Those are the worst so far. Puts G1 episodes to shame.

I'm glad I bought this though because I was always curious because I never saw these as a kid.

What I found most interesting is that they used toys from like 1991 that weren't going to be released for like a year (ex. Hawk) in the show.

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    The only good thing about that season was the new opening song. The rest.......

4. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I did... I love the Sunbow series. I think they hold up well even today. most of their episodes are pure fun. Cold Slither? Awesome! Once Upon a Joe? Hilarious and WAY over the top. Even when Sunbow Joe series was goofy, it was still great.

DIC series is painful.. It is more or less the Armada/Energon of the Joe toons. Even the Direct to toyline pack ins of Valor vs Venom and Spytroops were way better.

5. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dic series = totally unwatchable. On of the only tv shows I ever gave up on.

End off the Sundow series on a high with the movie, and never speak of any "continuation".

6. PrimeOQZ

PrimeOQZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm about to go out and look for it. Where did you get it?

7. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Walmart for $20..

It is good for a laugh at the badness/campness of the DIC series, but don't go expecting the high quality of Sunbow series. If Sunbow is a 9 or 10, then this series is about a 5.

8. PrimeOQZ

PrimeOQZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks. I had half of ep2 and 3-5 of operation dragonfire on vhs and remember it was decent. I remember the show on USA cartoon network and did not have an interest in watchig it becasue of the way it looked.

I am willing to watch them once at least. Then I can come back here and have everyone say I warned you.:lol 

9. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Saw it at Wally World... Not touchin' it with a ten foot pole.