Shout Factory hates Transformers Season 3

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Dr Kain, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

So I just finished a week long venture of watching all of the original Transformers series and I came to the realization that Shout Factory hates Season 3. Season 1 had a lot of effort put into it, the video quality was top notch most of the time (I will admit, the fixing of errors scenes got a little annoying after 6 times doing so within a five minute time span), the audio was well done, and the seemless branching of multi-parters was amazing. Season 2 continued the joy, but they finally put Child's Play, The Gambler, Aerial Assault, and Maquerade in its proper place.

Then we come to Season 3. The episodes are not in chornological order, the background info sequences after each episode are missing, and what the hell happened to "The Burden Hardest to Bear?" They took one of the most important episodes of the season and made it unwatchable. It is like they decided to not use Rhino's master and use a recorded off of a recorded copy VHS master for the episode. There was nothing wrong with that episode on Rhino's set, so there was no reason for the entire episode to be completely replaced with that looking like a piece of poop version. The colors are washed out, the video has lines and what looks like tracking issues up the wazoo. I should have kept my Rhino DVDs for Season 3 because this entire set was half assed and is missing parts of the episodes.

2. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Are you sure it was really about Shout Factory hating Season 3? I mean there could have been an accidant that messed up the many copies of the DVDs. It's a bummer about what happened to you but aren't you jumping to conclusions about this too soon?

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    To be fair, EVERYONE hates Transformers Season 3.

I think they put the episodes in production order, as opposed to airdate (or maybe vice versa, I dunno), but production of that entire season was a logistical clusterfuck. It's possible they didn't put as many extras to keep costs low, as they probably knew S3 wasnt going to sell as well as S1&2, not only because it has less popular characters, but because later seasons tend to sell poorer than the first couple for most shows (with the exception of "fresh" seasons being released).

4. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Subjective generalization.
    I love S3.

• Like Like x 1
  5. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the box set fucks up the order, the s3/s4 dvd set has them correctly. Trust me, that's the only reason I went out and bought the regular S3 DVD's after already buying the matrix box set

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

We need a big old like button since this reply is like material for me.

Even if a load of effort was put into fixing up season 3 it just wouldn't change the fact that season 3 just isn't as well liked as the earlier seasons. I tend to just pass over season 3 whenever I can.

If a company was going to put their effort anywhere it would be season 1 and 2 that seem to sell better to fans than season 3.

7. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I was gonna say... :D 

8. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have the Shout boxset but it's all of the DVDs in a shiny silver box, which is this:

[​IMG]

Does this box-set screw up the order of the episodes?

9. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    QFT! There are a few Season 2 episodes I really dislike like Child's Play and B.O.T. Season 3 has some stinkers but there were some real good ones too like Ultimate Weapon, Burden Hardest to Bear, Fight or Flee, Ghost in the Machine.

• Like Like x 2
  10. MetalSymphony

MetalSymphony Active Member

Yeah, i noticed the episodes where out of order, but IMO it doesn't change very much, it's not like their is a major over-arcing plot that messed up order screws up or anything.

11. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

... I don't hate Season 3. I'll take Season 3 over Animated anytime.

I've got all the boxsets up to Headmasters. Haven't watched any of it yet though.

• Like Like x 2
  12. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    Season 3 is beter than the shit in the first two seasons

• Like Like x 1
  13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ditto. I REALLY like season 3, for reasons I have mentioned before.

• Like Like x 2
  14. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I've noticed the lines as well. I'm just greatful to have the episodes on dvd, as I missed them when they were released the first time around. Is the Hub airing Shout!'s version?

15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Uh, no. A lot of us think it was the best season of the original series. But thanks for trying to speak for me. :rolleyes: 

• Like Like x 1
  16. WidowMaker91

WidowMaker91 Well-Known Member

I'll say I thought Rodimus was a better character then Optimus because he actually screwed up on occasion and wasn't perfect.

17. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    That and the fact that he wasn't the one who didn't fire at Megatron immediatly the first chance he had back at Autobot city!:lol 

18. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Not true. Ghost of Starscream has Sandstorm in it (who is not introduced until Fight or Flee) and Octane is an Autobot (who is not kicked out of the Decepticons until Thief in the Night). Then you have The Quintesson Journal, which has everyone fighting over the journal and The Big Broadcast of 2005 which has the Quintessons trying to retrieve their journal before anyone finds out about its existence.

And Season 3 is by far the best season as far as I am concerned. It has more memorable characters, a better color pallet, better music, and the plots are no where near as bad as The Girl Who Loved Powerglide, BOT, Day of the Machines, and Child's Play.

19. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Glad to! And thank YOU and everyone else for catching my clearly sarcastic and hyperbolic remark!

I can't remember, The Matrix set was where S3 was first available, right? Did S1&S2 come out beforehand? Maybe there wasn't time for the same level of polish on S3, due to budget and deadline constraints?

20. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Don't you have some billy goats on a bridge to be terrorizing or something?

I believe in the S3/S4 boxset, they are in airdate order not production order (though the episode numbers are given if you want to watch them in that order). Season 3 isn't really terrible, but the ratio of "meh" episodes to good episodes is a lot higher than in Season 1 or 2. I enjoy the Starscream episodes (naturally), Dark Awakening, the Return of Optimus Prime, and Web World the most I suppose. Five Faces of Doom is decent too.

Edit: And why all the hate for Child's Play? Apart from the animation errors, I rather liked the fact that they ended up as a child's toys... although I still facepalm when they rig the toy rocket for interstellar flight :lol