Shouldn't we have demanded a better toy for movie Jazz ?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Vincymon, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Vincymon

Vincymon Well-Known Member

If you go to any fansite where people were drawing transformers from the movie, everyone will agree that jazz was the easiest to draw.

[​IMG]

Yes he has the kibbly, skeletal / wiry structure of the movie, but it is not nearly as complex as the other bots.

Yet Jazz, arguably, had the WORST toy design;
    [​IMG]

This clunky thing is so far removed from the on screen image
    [​IMG]

The ironic thing is, jazz probably had the simplest transformation in the whole movie. The arms fold out from under the hood and the legs fold out from the back.. essentially that's it!

So let's start with a simple issue, why in the world are the wheels of his toy on the BACK of his foot when it is clearly AT HIS ANKLE in the movie. I really don't see the point of that mistransformation. After all, if they could acheive with bumblebee, why not on the jazz figure ?

The feet issue may seem like a petty thing, but it adds to the general bulkiness of the figure for one of the slimmest characters in the movie !

Another thing they could have done is to add a sliding hinge into the waist joint. You know, like those extentable tv antenna. That way the figure wouldn't look so rediculously short.

All I am getting at is this, jazz' transformation is very simple, and there remains a lot of space on the figure where they could have added more hinges , better skulpting etc. for a more authentic robot mode.

I personally feel he deserves the retooling this year, more than bumblebee. The deluxe class of bumblebee in 2007 was nearly perfect, but that of jazz left a lot to be desired

2. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Uhhhm, 2007 called... they'd like their complaints back. :D 

No seriously, I really like the Jazz figure we got... but I would certainly love a retooled/better version.

3. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Has "demanding" stuff ever worked? I mean, if it did there'd be a Leader Lugnut shelfwarming by now.

4. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm confused....has he just been released again?

5. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Demand? Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

6. AMG

AMG Old School

Premium Jazz is my favorite deluxe from the first movie. He looks great in both modes. I don't see the problem with him.

7. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

I find begging and pleading works better than demanding from those that are in higer positions than me,

8. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree, the movie Jazz mold did get the shaft. He was easily one of the weakest deluxes ( and I still have 4 different versions of him), and that was made more obvious when there was amazing deluxes like CC Bumblebee and Barricade. I hope that one day they consider revisiting the character and giving him another shot.

9. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    How about you pick up a brush and a Xacto knife and you make your own? I customized mine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I might even add a bit of custom in the middle to make him look a little less stubby.

iDD

10. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    ^Love the custom jazz.

I personally like the movie jazz mold. It was the first one I got along side with Barricade. I have normal, Allspark, and premium jazz.

Anyone else notice the runing change in Jazz's arms? They made the folding piece shorter to make it less obtrusive with the rest of the figure.

11. Snow Cat

Snow Cat Well-Known Member

8D

12. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Mostly I'd have liked his gun to store properly in alt mode. Clipping onto the spoiler just didn't do it for me. Surely his fat legs could've been thinned and the weapon slotted inbetween like many other TF toys do with their gun in alt mode?
    Jazz just seemed half and half to me. His front end was overly complicated which resulted in horrible fragile arms, and his back end was too simplified and just had the fat legs fold out.
    Pity really.

13. Vincymon

Vincymon Well-Known Member

yeah, your reply about sums up my opinion. Front end too complex and exaggerated, lower end to simply and..fat.

14. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Jazz was my first movie toy, and I love him as he is even though he is indeed lacking in many ways. I admire the nice custom works people do, though :) 

15. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    Demanded a better one? No. That would have gone no where. Expected a better one? Yes.

He is clearly the top half of a small robot stuck on the bottom half of a big robot. His size is all screwed up. Crummy hands and a weapon that doesn't incorporate into his alt-mode is kinda lame.

But he's dead, so.. whatever.

16. on_a_warpath

on_a_warpath OAW 2010

There is a better toy than movie Jazz.
    It's called Premium movie Jazz.

17. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    no, not just the paint apps ^^ the mold itself wasnt great, i agree.. and like mentioned just above, there's no point in demanding one, but we could have expected a better one.. maybe the next one? :D 

18. DJ Soundwave

DJ Soundwave Action Figure Master

I thinnk the Movie Jazz is fine

19. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ha, I concur.

If demanding toys worked, I'd have...let's see...reissues of the Constructicons, all five Dinobots, Ramjet, Thrust, Sunstreaker, Wheeljack, Mirage, all five minibots from the cartoon pilot in a set together, Reflector, Rumble, Frenzy, and Jetfire plus an eHobby Prime repaint for Nemesis Prime...Classics of Jazz, Soundwave, Shockwave, Blitzwing, Lazorbeak, Sunstorm and a better version of the Constructicons...Leader or 'Slightly Bigger in Voyager Robot Mode' Lugnut for Animated...an Animated Blitzwing that held together better in alt. modes...a shitload more Revoltechs...the 3-inch Titanium line living on...do I have to keep going??

I don't mean to be a sarcastic dick, but yeah demanding stuff doesn't work, at least not immediately. Hasbro may watch these sites and pay attention to fan's moods, reactions and desires, but that hasn't exactly landed us stuff right off the bat.

As for Movie Jazz, either get Premium Movie Jazz for a slightly better version, or leave whichever Jazz you get in alt. mode and pick up Robot Replica Jazz. The Robot Replicas are underrated to me. Similar joints to the Revoltechs, but unfortunately aren't to scale (also like the Revoltechs) so Bumblebee and Jazz are as big as Prime and Megatron. Movie Jazz's transforming figure is okay but not great. My only issue is with the arms. That's the only thing I'd change, but it's not worth demanding Hasbro immediately release a better figure. Not for me anyways, and I'm a Jazz fan too.

20. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    I don't think Premium Jazz looks better or more accurate than the first version. With Reprolabels, the original Jazz looks better.