Should we create a Google Map of toy build-ups?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by bellpeppers, Sep 17, 2012.

1. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    There's always gonna be topics and posts about shelf warmers.

However, declarations of shelf warming of an entire line is usually based on what someone sees in their own store (guilty of that one myself) instead of looking at it region by region.

Inspired by a Google map of the Walking Dead, I thought it might be an idea to make a Google map showing where new stuff is sighted and where other stuff builds up.

Or would this be too much of an undertaking? I personally wouldn't even know how to go about such a thing.

2. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

Not all that hard tbh. I make websites and whatnot for a living, but am mainly just a JavaScript engineer, so my backend-fu is weak.

Could probably hash something together over a weekend if I find time, or better still, somebody builds me a backend that spits out JSON with the map data and I just write the code to integrate the google maps API.

3. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    Sounds like a great idea.

4. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

Its really easy tbh. if TFW mods are cool with it we could build it out as a feature of the site - tied to our login credentials and stuff so people can't just spam the shit out of it. In all seriousness, if people didn't abuse it it'd be a really good site feature. If i wasn't super busy i'd crank one out and put a few ads on it for a few quid of passive income a month :p 

If the dude who runs/builds the site is interested, PM me - i'll happily write something to build out the maps, all he needs to do is have the shop locations from ~somewhere~ and accept a form submission and kill the records after an appropriate time. we'll talk, i'll send you links to my employers etc so you know i'm not just bullshitting about being in industry, then we'll build something none of the other fansites have. Win.

I would do this for free*

*and possibly a supporter badge too :p 

5. baggzey23

baggzey23 psn - baggzey23

News Credits:
    Would it be a world map?

6. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

i'm in the UK, so i'd hope so :D 

all we need to do is store a lat/long and some info about what is there. no reason to limit it to US only - getting the locations of the shops is actually the most time consuming part!

EDIT. I'll drop Alex a mail in a couple of days if none of our glorious moderator overlords show any interest...

7. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    It should be.
    Toys are sold worldwide.

And I agree with ryan- tie it in with a log in.

8. fawnheart2000

fawnheart2000 Autobot

sounds cool

Sounds cool as long as the scalpers stay away. (I know, no real way to determine if a person is a scalper, or if a scalper is active in your neck of the woods. Sigh.) It would still be a very useful tool for everyone.

9. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    I'd be down with this. Sounds like a cool idea to map out figure locations and stores that are overrun with Bees.

10. wolverenz

wolverenz Decepticon

News Credits:
    It's a cool idea overall, but should we be aware of the scalpers as well? I'm sure they can access this too. Just sayin..

11. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

Heh, that is an interesting point.

with great databases comes great responsibility.

12. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    I'm not worried about scalpers. They usually beat everyone willing to be beat anyway.

I'm thinking more about not only BB build-ups, buy any figure- including new figures.
    This could map out TRU's, Targets, Wally World's, comic book stores (might give THEM a boost in sales). I dunno about discount stores, tho. Their stock fluctuates.

13. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Neat idea but there is the scalper issue like someone stated.

14. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Such a thing would ultimately be abused by scalpers I fear. It's a concern raised about the sightings forums in the current format and I feel this would only make it worse, particularly on hard to find items.

Fantastic idea, but the fact there's enough people out there who'd abuse it as there are those who would use it properly means I doubt it would really work in practice.

15. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    I don't always buy this whole "scalper" boogie-man thing; I think half the time scalpers are blamed when some other customer gets the toy before you do.

Besides, scalpers already know that MP's are at TRU... hey know when truck shipments arrive... they already have their schedules.

In my mind, something like this can't really benefit scalpers; this would be fed by post-scalper sightings- I would guess.

I really don't think scalping is as big of a problem as people say.

16. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Couldn't this just be done with a google group or circle in G+?