Should Transtech be resurrected?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by robofreak, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    By that logic, what's the worth in Generation 2 existing? Then Beast Wars after it? Then Beast Machines after that? Is it such a chore to think it possible a series can be written stand alone, without a need to have to have done homework to understand it, but still be a continuation? It worked well in BW. Any time something from the original series came along it got a quick explanation of what it was and the story moved on.

You're stating such as though they would take the sketches of Prime, Megatron, Shockwave, Scavenger, Black Arachnia, Depthcharge, any I'm missing as well, along with the prototypes for Cheetor & Starscream, from a series that never was and only the fans with in-depth knowledge enough know about, and present it as is with a tagline to fans "Here's the 'fifteen year old' series that never was, unchanged from the preliminary design art we decided to share after not going forth with the series", while ignoring the fact we don't even know the story of the series as it was intended.

Fact is they would need to redo Optimus Prime since most of his design went to Animated Optimus, redo Scavenger since his design made it to Armada verbatim, redo Megatron since his design became Longarm/Shockwave in Animated, create the tale of the series, design/manufacture/sell an associated toyline we've never seen nor had with the series, and the list goes on (again, I'd note).

Given all that, that only a few designs as we've seen might make it, the rest having to be done from scratch though still in the Transtech spirit of the others we've seen, that the story would involve characters we know by name in new situations in a stand alone series with nods to shows coming prior in the saga; It's Transtech, past the drawing board. It wouldn't be fifteen years old if released today or in a few years. It would be new, fresh, and Transformers, natch.

I didn't realize "Hey, I'd sure like for them to do this" equated to "complaining"?

2. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There is one thing I kinda' like about Transtech being cancelled; it means that the end of Beast Machines is the final chapter of the cartoon G1-BW-BM mythos. It had such a grande feel to it, that it feels right ending it there.

Besides, like you pointed out, so many of the Transtech designs have made it into other lines since then, that we pretty much got everything we wanted out of it. Even Cheetor with his wheels for feet made it in as ROTF Sideswipe and TFA Blurr. I think all the good ideas from Transtech have already been put to use.

3. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:

Here's a better way to celebrate.

Delay a toyline celebrating the 25th anniversary to next year as well as canning a series that did the same for a mediocre film and its toyline.

As for the question, yes. Please have Transtech.

The designs and story concept are really good.

2600th post- Yay!

4. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

go for it

5. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    You ARTE aware of the fact it's not Transtech, but TransTech and has nothing other than the designs to do with the original concept?

6. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Yes, if they actually transformed rather than morphed. That is where Beast Machines failed miserably as a Transformers series.

7. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Sure- why not?

8. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

"Resurrected" implies it had ever been alive to begin with.

But it never was. It was an idea they kicked around for a series then ditched. I am certain they've done that before and we just never got to see the preliminary designs.

Sheesh.

- Coeloptera

9. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think that might of been me but I know their are a few people who keep saying this.

Also people saying the comic was not the real Transtech just proves me right. People have put it up so high that not even the official hasbro endorsed Transtech story can beat it... and this holy canon that people speak of? its just a pile of sketches an unused screamer prototype and a few notes in a .txt file.

Dont get me wrong I'm sure it would of been a cool follow up to beast Machines (that I personally quite liked) but it was never going to be this awesome show that people seem to think it is.

10. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I never stated that it was going to be an awesome show, I just want to see what it would have been like, the animation, the feel of it, the story line and characters and their development. But the TransTech comic isn't the Transtech show of what it would have been as it does not follow BM but is it's own thing, just using the designs of a never made series.
    But the few things we know of it, let it sound as if it would have been similar to Armada just on Cybertron and in the G1 universe with awesome designs and probably a darker storyline with better written stories.

I would love to see that Optimus Prime transform :p 

11. Covenant

Ebay:
    Apologies, but this is highly inaccurate and twisted to prove a misconception/viewpoint.

The dropped line was intended as a continuation from Beast Machines in which robotic bodies are brought back as the norm. The TransTech of The Transformers Collector's Club are written as a Hub of all the Multiverse where instead of any Great War the species used their tech to amplify, evolve and become supposed epitomes of technological perfection, though war is hinted as being on the horizon of the future...up until the focus of the story shifts to another dimension all together. There's a clear difference, an obvious seperation, one I'd state is none too far different from Scavenger's design being used in Armada. People aren't saying "That wasn't Transtech exactly" because they thought it sucked or anything, it's because it was made clear it's a different continuity than the original/dropped incarnation.

Additionally, let's say Hasbro agreed with an apparent majority desire in the fandom and did bring Transtech as the continuation tale it was meant to be, and it was subpar on many levels to many people. That it wasn't what this person thought it would be, or what that guy was expecting. Does a few fans saying, "Gawd! They could have done it so much better/different!" give some kind of warrent to never do the venture at all? Because by that logic, despite high earnings & ratings and hundreds if not thousands of fans both on & offline liking or loving any particular series, no Transformer series should be pursued ever.

12. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

me to I was disapointed it was killed off.

I would love it to be rehashed to make it freash.

no not at all.

13. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

I say use some of the designs in Universe 3.0 or 4.0.(Immorticon, Starscream, Silverbolt ,Shockwave, Depth Charge, Prime and Megatron) The designs look kinda like what we got for the Movie toys, so we have that. But as a full show and line, it won't work for modern kids because the Beast era is about 12 years old now, most kids where just born or not even conceived yet. Unless Transtech is a subline, similar to Crossovers, Titanuim and Altenators or used within the catch all Universe, it won't fly by itself today

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    As a full series? No, thank you. But I wouldn't mind some toys popping up at all. They look really cool.

15. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Hey, people are always going to want more, that's a given. But at least they could get something finally out of it. For that, they should be thankful.

Besides, what if TransTech figures warm the shelves like Universe Dinobot and Cheetor did?

It would be safer to start off with the 3 figures that were almost made and see what the mass market response to them is rather than take a bigger risk with a whole line that could potentially shelf warm if people aside from TF fans don't warm up to it.

Maybe put them under a "Concept Series" like Star Wars has done in the past with their Ralph McQuarrie figures and vehicles.

16. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Agreee totally.

17. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Everything is always complaining- except when one is complaining about complainers... that isn't considered complaining.

18. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I hated those fucking things. "Hey kids, you know all the heroes and vehicles you love? Here are some designs for them we thought were too shit to use! BUY THEM!"

19. Covenant

Ebay:
    And just for the record, given all the Transtech threads are nothing more than fan discussion threads & that Hasbro will most likely never run with the line ever, I'd be completely down with something showing up in the Universe line, as suggested. Universe gives nods to many series, hopefully they'll give some love to Generation 2, little to RiD perhaps, maybe even some more Gobot tributes, but I'd totally love to see them hit up the homage line with a "The series that never was" mentality and give us some Transtech releases.

Dinobot was a Shelfwarmer? They couldn't keep him on the pegs in this area. Cheetor had sales, but not nearly as well. Mostly because his figure wasn't that great.

And, though I keep going back to it, I have to bring up again that I don't think the baseless "what if it's bad/what if they don't like it" fear should be a reason to not do anything. I'm sure we all have go-to examples of TF toys we wish they'd maybe thought like that on, but I'm still glad that doesn't seem to be the way they operate.

Hmm. Question; Was Beast Wars far too late down the road to be relevant to a mainstream audience? Or was it a highly successful stand alone program with ties back to a prior Transformers story every once in a while? If anything a longer passage of time would help the separation & make the show work better, in the same case as BW.

How do you figure that? I mean if someone's initially looking at this with the notion that it has to be a heavy-story-tied-continuation of Beast Machines like other folks did, I can see where it may come into question at first. But even by itself it couldn't fly with kids today? I mean, have you seen what's on kids television schedules nowadays? Everything from Spongebob to Wolverine & The X-Men, from Max & Ruby to Batman: The Brave & the Bold. Unless I've become dinosaurian in the age of this particular notion; Kids ages five to twelve do still like animals, vehicles, robots, toys and action. Right? It's not like the 'historical footage' Prime was viewing in Animated made the series not work for kids, nor did any of the constant nods to past series from G1 to Cybertron. Starscream's Ghost & The Ark didn't make Beast Wars impossible for kids to enjoy. Hell, while the grown-ups were grinning from the kickassedness of the onscreen reference, it was adding some wide-eyed mysterious coolness for the kiddos. I do think another series about robots transforming into stuff would work quite well with a youthful audience, as well as their older siblings and even some of their parents.

20. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Oh, give it up. No one wants to see Hasbro's rejected concepts made into TV shows.