Should Transformers return to Marvel ?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by sevenlima, Jun 16, 2017.

1. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

Should Marvel publish again Transformers ?

2. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 toy only guy

I'd sorta be down for it, but that'd make a TF/DC crossover pretty much impossible (as opposed to nigh-impossible as it is). Though from what I'm hearing, Marvel's comics division is not doing so hot.

3. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    No

• Like Like x 1
  4. GoLion

GoLion -Sad Panda-

News Credits:
    I love the Marvel run. But no, I don't think the brand should return to Marvel.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    No, they are happy with IDW.

6. AgentAlabama113

AgentAlabama113 I found a Macguffin.

I love the old Marvel run to death, but that was Marvel in its prime. Nowadays, I really don't want Transformers to be a part of it. Seems like they'd just forget the Decepticons exist and make the Autobots go to war with each other. I may not be fully on board with IDW's runs right now, but it's not that bad...

• Like Like x 3
  7. ABH1979

ABH1979 Anonymous Bucket Head Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    Yes, but only if you mean a scenario where Disney buys Hasbro.

I just want to see the Marvel Studios approach to a Transformers movie...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Michael Payton

Michael Payton Well-Known Member

No. IDW is already aping every dumb ass thing that Marvel has done in recent years to drive away their own fan base. We don't need the pros mucking things up. We just need someone who truly Ioves Transformers. Not as a brand or as a franchise opportunity. Someone who loves the characters and the mythology. There's a reason Transformers is the only big 80s property to never truly go away. It's wasn't the toys. It was the characters.

We need a passionate writer that wants to go nuts with the cast. We also need a strong editor to keep that writer focused. IDW's problems have been a lack of editorial control over their writers. First Simon went off the rails. Now James.

Marvel has no decent editors right now. They're worse than IDW. They're just a bunch of failed screen writers slumming until they can find real work. That's why they don't care if they tear down every franchise Jack and Stan built up for short term Quarterly profits.

Marvel only manages to not muck up Star Wars more than they have because Disney would shut down the entire publishing division if they did. That's why Disney hasn't had them do the Duck comics. No one at Marvel could get them right. Better to just let IDW reprint the European Duck comics.

Fixing IDW is the best solution. Baring that, I'm not sure who could be best suited for publishing Transformers. Maybe Dark Horse. It'd be a drastically different book than what we have now. Probably closer to serious science fiction. Boom does okay with Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. DC did okay with Masters of the Universe. I'd probably push for Dark Horse myself. They need a big book now that Marvel is doing Star Wars. John Ostrander was bloody brilliant on Star Wars Legacy and Dark Times. Love to see him handle this book.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

Unless it involved having the guts to bring the Transformers back into the mainstream Marvel continuity full-bore - as opposed to, say, having them in continuity just long enough for Spidey to make his obligatory guest appearance and Ratchet to dig the Dinobots out of the Savage Land three or four issues later and then drop it like a rock - I don't see the point.

10. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wish IDW gave the original Marvel runs rights back to Marvel like Transformers UK/US, GI Joe, ROM, Micronauts, etc. IDW is terrible with reprints and has trouble spelling properly. Don't get me started on keeping on solicitation schedule which are just printed lies at this point.

But with the current stuff, I'm whatever and don't have a strong opinion either way. I'm just a casual reader (though I've read all of the IDW universe) and not big into modern comics.

However nostalgia is a powerful thing and I've love reprints to get some respect instead of the backburner.

11. GoLion

GoLion -Sad Panda-

News Credits:
    Oh. Now i'm conflicted. If we could get a Marvel studios style Transformers movie then I'd be excited.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Michael Payton

Michael Payton Well-Known Member

IDW doesn't have a say in this. The original Marvel GI Joe and Transformers comics are the wholly-owned property of Hasbro. It would be Hasbro's call to sell the reprint rights to another publisher.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    This really isn't true. It's always been the toys, the toys has been a huge difference because it gives Hasbro the money to market/build the brand and new products. GI Joe had a ton of great stories during the 80s, some would argue they were much better than the TF stories and characters - but because the toys don't sell, Hasbro doesn't give them support that they have with Transformers.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    True, my post was more a mini-rant meant for Marvel (regardless who's the holder of rights) to be responsible again for reprints of the original runs.

15. xolta

xolta Member

I think Idw is doing a decent job with the comics so no.