Should Transformers be considered toys or collectibles?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sentinel, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Many of us on the boards have been collecting for quite some time. Some members have been collecting since the dawn of the Transformers, way back in 1984.

Having spanned a mighty 25+ years, do most collectors view their figures as highly valuable collectibles, or as mere toys?

I understand that there is an enormous difference between an original G1 Optimus Prime that is 27 years old and in pristine condition and a beat up, played with Movieverse Optimus. I also understand that there is a difference between a $5 scout or mini-con and a $200+ Masterpiece figure, but in general, do people see their collections as a bunch of toys, or as something more?

--------------------------------------------

I personally view my collection as something more. I think of the figures more as pieces to be added to my collection rather than as mere toys. Don't get me wrong, when my niece and nephew come over and want to play with my TFs, I absolutely let them (within reason of course, no one is allowed to touch MP Rodimus but me), but when I can add something I think is valuable to my collection, I do derive a certain amount of pride. This can plainly be seen in how I display my collection. I have spent thousands of dollars on display cases and lighting so that when someone sees my collection, they hopefully don't think that I am a weird guy with a bunch of toys, but rather more of collector with a very adult-looking, tastefully displayed and valuable collection.

What are your thoughts? Toys or collectibles?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  2. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    This all depends on the collector's own personal view it...

Here's mine:

I see my vintage G1s/G2s as a collection of museum pieces, and they will be displayed as such. (Silly to some, but not to me)

However, I don't quite see my collection of more recent releases in that same light. But they are still more than "just toys" to me.
    But I've seen the phrase: "They're just toys!" posted on this forum many many times.

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yes. :D 

4. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

I'm trying to put together the highest AFA graded series 1 pre rub collection.

I consider my collection to be collectibles.

5. XxGeck0xX

XxGeck0xX デストロン 情報

News Credits:
    I think things that are AFA'd, or vintage items mib are considered collectibles to me.

6. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    To us they're collectibles. To others they're just toys.

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Toys. Only G1 are collectibles.

8. omega145

omega145 Autobot

Ebay:
    At the end of the day they are all toys that I choose to collect and don't need a label to make myself feel better about spending money on them.

9. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    hmmmm never really thought of it...
    since my mother sold all my G1's I had as a kid for 1euro a piece years ago :( 
    Found out just 1year ago, was heartbroken then starter collecting... soon discovered I had been ripped of via eBay many times cuz the items were never in the shape I want them to be...
    So I swore never to have vintage toys ever again... BUT!!
    them I though to homage my G1 and collect every masterpiece...
    Since MP-01 was the first I fell in love with him and started a side collection of primes..
    than I started kitbashing/customs and decides my style was more of a classics vibe!
    So now I've started classics... (and recently lots of movie and growing love for Animated)

So.. waht do I think?
    Masterpieces for me are HOLY!!! not toys!! but work of ART!
    Same goes for my customs, lot of love goes in there...
    The Optimus Primes... well I don't know yet :p 
    The classics and Animated are definitely toys! ;) 

MAYBE SOME DAY I'll do the KO G1 MISB collection, not sure yet...

10. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    What a silly question. They're both.

11. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Collectible toys

12. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    I guess its a mixture of both for me.

Its a toy if its on display.

Its also a collectible if its a limited model/cost the hel* outta my wallet. :lol 

13. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    I don't put high value on the collection. Though I have over 1500 different transformers. I do still see them as old toys and new toys. But I don't play with them. I display them. Some more careful than other. Putting a high value on it would make it seem like an investment for future sale and it clearly isn't. For me, it's the size that counts. One transformers does not really make a collection. It's 'just a transormers toy' (be it MP or movieverse) but 50 or more together starts to look like a serious collection. And after a couple of years of collecting you are not just collecting toys. You are (most likely) connected to a community of like-minded. It's the entire experience that counts.

iDD

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yep :) 

15. SpectorDave

SpectorDave Wrecker

Bit of both for me!

16. F18Starscream

F18Starscream Commander of the Skies

News Credits:
    I agree with you, and I would like to add on that these "Collectables" are a very big part of my life, some of my Tf's have been with me before I met my wife (girlfriend back then) so it's waaay more than toys to me it's history of me as a young person.

17. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I think the Classics toys and Masterpieces are collectibles and the others are really aimed for children. Another indication to this, is the age that is printed on the package. Most classic toys I have, are marked with an age where you normally don't play with toys anymore, so it is obvious they are more collectibles, than anything else. Especially if they sport characters that are most interesting for viewers of G1.

18. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    This question resembles the question of worth or value - not that toys are worth less and collectibles are worth more. Just that toys can be played with and collectibles are not. At least that's a definition that makes sense to me.

Certainly tfs are capable of being considered both. Just as anything can. The intention of the maker does not always carry over into the value ascribed to an object by the collector.

Age, condition, and exclusivity are factors that can grant an aura to certain things. (MOSC vs loose; tf'ed once to bot mode vs tf'ed every time I'm on the phone at work.) Some of these are more physical characteristics (like condition) and others less so (perceived value or scarcity) Gaining desirable items raises prestige and recognition from the like minded. (OMG I totally have a MIB X or Y! And you don't! vs. OMG I totally have a MIB X or Y! Since it's awesome!)

I have a G1 Silverstreak displayed prominently at my office - it is in rotten shape, loose arms, and peeling stickers. I love the thing. Its top snapped off. It was my first tf. That alone grants it value that eclipses anything I could ever collect.

Finally, the question comes very close to being a moral one, in my view, since it rests on why one collects, the purpose, and whether one is justified in the purchases and pleasure one takes in the tf. Do you like it because others don't have it? Do you like it because it is simply an awesome toy and aesthetic piece? Would you like it less if everyone could have one? Are the prices the manufacturers ask just? And so on.

Sorry - I teach undergrads philosophy.

19. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    They are not toys to me. Transformers are 3 things for me:
    0) Cool looking robot figures to collect.
    1) A tangible artefact of a fiction that I greatly enjoy.
    3) A common pass time that gives me some social activity with the online community.

If my kids want Transformers toys I buy them some. The funny thing is that they don't want them, the only figures that my kids want are the ones behind the glass :) 

20. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Cue the Price is Right "Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding!"