Should toys *look* animated?

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by DeathFrogurt, May 13, 2009.

1. DeathFrogurt

DeathFrogurt The frogurt is cursed!

Apparently the TF:A toys haven't been selling as well as Hasbro expected- is it because the toys themselves look cartoony? Do they necessarily have to? It's kind of like the Justice League cartoon and toys- you can have a stylized Superman in the cartoon, but kids'll still buy DCU-type Supes figures. So can the next Transformers cartoon have detailed movie/Universe figures to complement more stylized animation?

2. Vince

Vince Decepticon

News Credits:
    I personally love the animated-style figures. I was completely impressed with how they were able to capture such a similar likeness to the characters being depicted on screen (i.e. their proportions and obscure shapes) and still make them be able to transform into equally accurate vehicles!

Kids are most likely going to want to buy the character they see on TV, and Hasbro has delivered by making the TF animated toys very screen-accurate.

3. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Is there really any way of knowing?

Maybe they aren't selling as anticipated because the show was getting poor timeslots. Maybe it's the recession. Maybe the show just isn't what kids want.

I like that the toys are cartoony.

4. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    I love the animated toys, people just don't seem to be spending as much. KB Toys closed down, and I have a few friends who work at toy stores, and they keep telling me business is just so-so.

I was impressed with how well Animated Ultra Magnus came out. His hammer is great, and he's depicted the same way as the toon, so ofcourse they should look animated, that's what sold really well.

5. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

Transformers toys should look like whatever cartoon/comic/movie they are based on, end of thread. Let's look back at G1, when Ratchet and Ironhide didn't even have heads, Windcharger, Brawn, and Bumblebee had masks, and Megatron had a crotch. Yet, we would watch the source material when we were kids, look at the figures and go "WTF happened?"

I think one of the TF:A figures greatest selling points is that they do look like the cartoons.

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The 'cartoony' nature of the TFA toys is what makes me love them. It gives them so much character. The fact that they have totally viable transformations (often incorporating ingenious engineering) and plenty of play value despite their 'stylized' look is just amazing.

7. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I personally can't stand Animated, I hate the designs. That being said, I think that that's what the toys have going for them, the amazingly accurate representation of what they look like in the cartoon. If that wasn't there, you'd have nothing.

BTW, I just saw this title on the boards sticking out and decided to pop on real quick...not trying to troll or anything.

8. AMG

AMG Old School

Exactly.

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    if that were true, more people would be able to find wreck gar and skywarp in stores.

10. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I dont get your example. Justice league have toys that look just like the cartoon. So does Batman. Even star wars does. All of these franchise also have more "realistic" styled toys just like transformers have universe.

Though the TF:animated show and toyline were both epic win I feel that it was just too drastic a change from the hyper popular movie toys. Though I think it is unfair, Transformers always do better when based on real vehicles. Every time they try some thing new you get get grown men crying it's too playschool or kiddie.

Having Universe and animated going on at the same time split the fandom. Also I doubt alot of kids bought from both lines they were probably drawn to one of another.

11. Bocc Kob

Bocc Kob Prowl Jam!

I'm confused. Why would they make a toyline for a show and purposely not have them look alike? :sly2: 

12. Z.U.D.O.N

Z.U.D.O.N Camshaft's Master

In my opinion, the fact that Hasbro makes Animated toys look Animated is correct. By right if you like a cartoon series and the toy didn't look like in the series, you'd be disappointed. Unless of course they make a much much cooler version, but yeah then again you like the character because of who he is and how he is shown on TV.

Then again, there are those who don't like TFs, and when they see Animated TFs, they get a very very bad first impression. From what I see, most would go for cool toys like the GOOD movie toys. E.g. Sideswipe and Bumblebee.

Also, there is a the recession, like what Bumblethumper said. So, I can't exactly say what was the reason that's causing Hasbro to lose out on Animated figures sales. But what I can say is that it's doing the right thing to make the toys screen-accurate, no matter how cartoonish they seem. Let's just hope the newer Animated toys are still cartoonic but cooler! :) 

I used to dislike Animated figures because I was so into the Movie line, but now I like several of them. :D 

13. Spoon

Spoon Banned

Every month someone says this.

I want some proof.

14. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

it's amazing how accurate to the cartoon the toys are. I don't think this is a bad thing at all. Because of the movie and the cartoon alot more kids are into Transformers these days. I've got students that collect them who are in their early teens telling me how much they like G1. And I'm always thinking, "how'd this little guy learn about G1?"

and he collects the movie bots and animated. And after I lent him a few classics/universe for a couple weeks now he's collecting those too.

IF the toys aren't selling well, (and I'd like to see proof of that, not just a forum posting saying it's so.) I think it may have more to do with the fact that they raised the prices a few dollars at a time when most people in the country just honestly don't have alot of extra money.

It was easy 2 years ago to pick up a couple deluxes for your kids when you went to Target or whatever, they always seemed to be on sale for like $7.77 or something. Go ahead a couple years and 'Mom' see's what she'll think are the same toys for $12.99. To a parent that's like double the price in a short period of time, at a time when Mom probably doesn't feel much like splurging on extra toys.

So now maybe instead of 4-8 TF's a month, maybe the kids gets 2 a month.

The economy and such would definitely hurt sales figures, but I don't think it's any fault of the figures themselves. The Animated line of figures is a great one. Even figures I really thought I'd hate that I picked up on impulse, *cough*SafeGuard*cough* I still ended up really liking.

You can't knock the genius of the engineering or just how 'fun' the toys themselves actually are. I actually find myself playing with them instead of just TF'ing them a couple times and putting them away or on display.

15. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    Thread won and Done!

16. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just wish we'd have more emotional sculpts than just "scowling with my fists closed!".

17. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Screamer's smirk..Bulkhead's cocked eyebrow...Blitzwing's various faces...

Anyways, I have to agree with everyone in saying that the fact that the figures look so much like their on screen counterparts (in both modes) is a big draw of them.

18. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

wasnt that beastwars?

19. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

I hate it when they look like the cartoon. The cartoonists' style is the way he sees the world-not what it looks like.

20. Spoon

Spoon Banned

Wh-wh-wh-what?