Should toy "power-up" repaints make more appearances in the fiction?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Bass X0, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    I thought it was cool when Animated Shockwave turned purple in the TV show. I personally think that stuff like that should happen a lot more often in the comics and cartoons.

But I suppose many people are still tired from this practice being commonplace from the RiD and AEC cartoons. The difference between occurances happening back then and Animated Shockwave was that the Japanese shows had the characters change color scheme to sell the toys. With Animated, it was more "hey, Hasbro's released a cool new repaint; let's work it into the show" - I never detected a hint of the purple Shockwave being shoehorned in with the sole purpose of selling the Shockwave repaint.

2. Triceradon

Triceradon In it for the rage

I agree. I love seeing alternate paint schemes in shows, and wish there were more instances of them.

3. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think so. I mean, regardless of what came first, it is ultimately a show or comic based upon a toy line so why not live it up? Besides, it gives writers something to noodle over when it comes to explaining a character's new look. The added bonus of being able to buy the variant on the toy aisle gives fanboys something to hang their hat on.

4. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Neither Here Nor There

News Credits:
    Armada says 'Hi'

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I guess its all a matter of whether they can give it a good reason or not. Its great to have repaint toys that have a basis in the show fiction, but if they're just throwing in a plot point where "oh yeah he's blue now, don't worry about it and buy the toy" then there isn't really much point.

6. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I really did like how they justified the Animated repaints by working it into the show, with Shockwave going from gray to purple and seeing Electrostatic Soundwave appear in Human Error.

I would definitely like to see more of this working the repaints into the series.

7. Lucario Prime

Lucario Prime is a Lucario Prime is...

News Credits:
    Kind of like how Lugnut's staff was never in the show until season two, or how they justified Atomic Lugnut and E. Soundwave in Human Error.

8. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    unless it makes sense to the show, and if it happens occasionally, I don't mind it.

9. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I love it, especially when I end up buying the repaint first, as opposed to buying the real one.

10. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Should toy "power-up" repaints make more appearances in the fiction?

Yes, unless it leads to animation errors like what happened to Starscream in Armada.

11. Scaleface

Scaleface TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree that it makes the powerups more "real" to me if they exist in some form of fiction. I somehow appreciate it better when toy follows fiction rather than them working it in the other way around.

Look at Override GTS for instance. Cybertron fiction clearly didn't have her in that color, but Hasbro seemed to want to push a meaningless repaint. Then the TFCC works the new colors into their fiction in a post-Cybertron story.

I wonder in the case of Shockwave, which came first... did Hasbro just make a purple repaint and then the TV show worked in it, or did the toy makers know the TV show planned to make Shockwave purple after his true identity was revealed, so they made the toy that matched.

Still, it's better that it exists SOMEHOW in fiction.

Of course you have to wonder how someone would go about writing, for instance, a comic book working all movie Bumblebee's paint jobs in. Stealth, Rally, Desert, Nest...

Of course unused redecos sometimes end up giving us wonder repurposed toys.... I wonder if someone will ever use the likes of Cybertron Cryo Scourge or Sky Shadow in fiction as either powerups, disguises or reporposed characters.

Nomination for lamest excuese for a repaint ever - Shadow Blade Megatron... was it a powerup? A stealth thing? Disguise? nope. to quote the specs "In preparation for returning to space, Megatron repaints his armor."

Megatron: "Lugnut, I'm going into space, get me some black and purple paint!"

12. Lucario Prime

Lucario Prime is a Lucario Prime is...

News Credits:
    Perhaps it IS for stealth.

Seeing...as..you..know, space is...black and purple...Yeah.

13. ghowildseven

ghowildseven SG Decepticon

Yes, both makes the show and collecting the toys more worthwhile imo.

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I suppose if it's shown in the comics or cartoons then at least it's slightly better than just being another straight repaint out the Hasbro paint factory. Slightly.
    But I want a good reason for the repaint, not just some weird energy wave passed over a bunch of characters and changed their paintjobs. I like the Autobot Brothers one in RID because even though it was an energy power up thing their colours changed back afterwards.
    Gimme some big injuries in a show and they're rebuilt with the same body but pick a new paintjob. Of course, don't go using that idea too often either.

That's not to say I'd actually buy any of the repaints though.

15. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like Animated's way of handling repaints, which was pretty matter-of-fact and didn't make a big deal about it (based on that series, most 'bots and 'cons apparently have a chameleon-like ability to change color, though they don't necessarily have direct control over it. It also explains the "turn grey when dead" thing). Varying color schemes appear for varying sci-fi and story reasons. I like that better than the "I've been super-powered so now I look the same except I'm a BLUE car with different markings now!" approach of RiD and Armada (and lesser extents in following anime series - Megatron does it and changes his name all the time :)  )

16. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I agree Purple Shockwave was awesome (it is only logical that it be), and while it would help sell the toys better if the "power up" repaints made it into the show, they'd have to be significantly different for me to even buy them if I already own the first version of the toy.

Take Atomic Lugnut for instance. I know the show was pressed for time, but it would have made it so much cooler had that shark teeth paint app had made it onto Lugnut in the show if for only half an episode.

17. Scaleface

Scaleface TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Gotta remember Universe, and the 3H official fiction, where the official reason why so many toy got recolors was "Unicron Radiation"!

18. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes.

I'm more likely to buy toys if they're in the show. Plus, they wouldn't be as pointless.

19. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm not sure if that was the reason for the recolors themselves as much as the fire/spark/energy leak effects painted on many of the early Universe toys.

20. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    No.

The only powerup should be upgrades to the whole body of a TF.
    (See the various characters in Beast Wars and Cybertron Defense Team and Leobreaker)