Should time travel be an aspect of a Transformers movie?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Bass X0, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Time travel is a commonly used aspect in many Transformers fiction. So how about the movies do it too?

Its not as if time travel is an unfamilar concept to Hollywood either.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It could be, and there's certainly precendent for it, but do you really need to add ANOTHER sci-fi concept to a series of films about alien robots who disguise themselves as modern technology and have been involved in much of human development? While complexity works in serialized media like cartoons and comics where you have time to set up the premise as a tautology and develop the details you'll need before you move into a new concept like time travel, a film like the ones we've seen so far simply doesn't have the time necessary to do something like that effectively, especially given the pacing and editing issues in past Bay films.

Could it be? Sure, it could even be done well. SHOULD it be? Nah. If anything, it'd be a sign they're scraping the bottom of the barrel.

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Sure, throw it into the big steaming pot. Link it to the Matrix or some new mcguffin. I doubt the general public will be horrified if time travel is used in a TF movie as long as giant robots still beat each other up and transform into stuff.

4. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Pretty much my thoughts on the matter.

5. Avengers

Avengers Banned

Time travel only works if it's done right. with micheal bay & the writers they have it won't be done right.

6. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Well-Known Member

Pretty much this. Time travel is naturally confusing and I don't see why it is need in a franchise that already has a cool scifi gimmick/ corner stone; transforming alien robots.

7. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Perhaps. MIB3 and STAR TREK 09 proved it could go down well. But I agree with the general consensus that it would be a poor way to resurrect, redo and reboot some things. Stick with a continuation instead.

8. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    Nah, I don't think so. Too many variables, IMO. It would be too easy to find plot holes (and there almost always are in movies and TV shows involving time travel).

9. TNG Prime

TNG Prime TNG Prime IS a title!

Terrible idea, unless they execute it right. (Which I can't see a way to do)

Too much complication. It would also impede a no-holds barred, everyone is at full strength and pissed off final battle, the best final battle type.

10. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

rodiums prime short circlet himself and he travel in martix and learn of tf history

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Yes.

I want to go back to after the first movie and re-do everything again.

12. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    I often imagine what an MIB3 time travel-styled Transformers plot could be like. From a visual standpoint, I think it'd be fantastic. Seeing established characters redesigned to fit the vehicles of 40-50 years ago (a present day ambulance compared to a 1960's ambulance, a present day police car compared to a 1960's police car, etc.), having two Megatrons with slightly different designs scheming together. I think it'd be cool. :) 

Agreed. So many questions can pop up, and with the history of holes and questions in Bayformers, they'd most likely be amplified by using time-travel.

Don't get me wrong, it could totally be done, but the possibility of them screwing it up is too great.

:lol 

13. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Well, we can guess WHAT it would have been like from that TF3 draft that circulated the Internet last year. It'd probably have been better than what DOTM turned out to be, but there's no way to be sure...

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

The next film could have the effect of the new McGuffin to be time travel. Time travel has been used by enough TV shows and movies that pretty much everyone has seen time travel used in a story by now so it's not some mind blowing concept.

BUT, time travel is a tricky plot device to use effectively. Given how the films have trouble with the in film continuity you could only imagine how things could get out of hand by throwing the time travel monkey wrench into the mix. Leave time travel to the Brits since Doctor Who and Red Dwarf do it better anyway.

Ha ha, besides if you look at things like the number of sunset per day, the clock in Dark of the Moon, or how warping in Revenge of the Fallen could get you to Egypt at the same time of day that you left the US.

15. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Cannot Hold Weapon

News Credits:
    As a fan of Doctor Who AND Back to the Future, I can say with certainty that time travel makes everything cooler.

It also makes for very easy plot development.

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Bot and Tron's Excellent Adventure!
    So what TF4 needs is a Kryten that transforms into a Tardis. I could get behind that.

*peeks out from behind Krytardis*

:) 

Any TF time travel movie should have Optimus keeping going back in time a few minutes to squish Sam over and over for eternity.

17. r6680jc

r6680jc Well-Known Member

I like the time travel concept, but almost every movie that involves time travel always has plot hole(s), that ruin the story of the movie itself.

18. TCJJ

TCJJ 103% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I like time travel, but I really don't think it needs to be used just for the sake of using it, and it's very rare that it is done well (there are some instances of it being successful, but out of all of the media out there that has ever used time travel, how many of them actually pulled it off?). Then again, the Michael Bay Transformers movies are already disasters. Maybe they could use time travel at the end of the movie to go back in time and erase everything that ever happened, kill off that part of the fiction. Which will never happen, but one can dream.

Plus, I don't remember (apart from the end of Beast Wars -> the beginning of Beast Machines) where it was actually used in Transformers. Maybe it appears in the comics (which I'm years behind on, so no spoilers please. Yes, I know it's my own damn fault, but whatever), but, apart from Victory and the two Japanese Beast-era shows, I've watched all the Transformers cartoons (oh okay, I never DID finish Energon, but you can't blame me. It's a horrible show), so unless it appears in the ones I didn't watch, I don't recall it being used the TV shows.

There may be an odd episode of a series (probably G1) that I'm forgetting about, but as far as I know about time travel with Transformers, I wouldn't say it's commonly used.

The thing is, with Michael Bay at the helm, that type of battle wouldn't happen either way. We'd just get another 30-second fight where the bad guys lose in a brutal but pathetic fashion, or whatever they did in those three horrible abominations of cinema footage.

19. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    Yeah, these:

...sort of contradict, QRLformer. ;)  Just sayin'.

It's Schrodinger's movie. Until that proposed leak TF3 script actually becomes a movie, it's both better and worse than what we got. It both exists and it doesn't. It can both work and not work.

20. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    No.