Should they bring back points collecting?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by knook, Dec 4, 2008.

1. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I remember when I was younger Beast Wars boxes/cards had little point chips on the back, I can't remember exactly what they were for but I think it'd be a good idea if they did something like this. For example:
    1 Point - Legends/Robot Heroes
    3 Points - Deluxes
    5 Points - Voyagers
    8 Points - Ultras
    10 Points - Leaders
    15 Points - Supreme

Lets say this for example:
    15 Points = Send away for Animated Ramjet.

This would means that for spending around:
    £60 on Legends
    £50 on Deluxes
    £60 on Voyagers
    £50 on Ultras
    £60 on Leaders
    £50 on a Supreme

Obviously this is just an example (and a stupid one at that) but you get the idea

2. djmagic

djmagic Well-Known Member

that wouldn't be bad but I would want it on the little booklet or on the instructions, so the cardback or box isn't messed up.

3. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

I don't know... I hated the cereal boxes that had awesome toys on the front and back cover, but it was never until you got home that you realized you had to mail the points out to get those toys and there was nothing actually in the box.

Suffice it to say, I've never once done it.

4. knook

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, That'd be better. Like an insert or something

5. djmagic

djmagic Well-Known Member

I like the insert better so my box isn't missing a piece.

6. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    i wish they'd bring back Robot points, thy did it with Indiana Jones (send away for the Crystal Skull alien)

7. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I'd be up for it, though I've never really been a big fan of it. I agree, a little booklet type thing would be nice, though I personally don't care about the shape of the packaging (I always throw it away anyways). It'd help keep people from just taking the points, though you know some people out there would at least try to.

8. Hybrid Prime

Hybrid Prime Banned

I always loved the points and mail in offers.It made it easier to get some of the former years bots that you missed plus you also got some exclusives.I'd love the idea of new robot points but it should just be a little seperate slip inside of the box as to not deface the package or pamplets.

9. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    With it being so easy to copy/scan/print/redistribute stuff like that nowadays, I doubt we'll ever get true "collect the points and get a 'free' toy" stuff again, unless they were accompanied by receipts of all the purchases. Points giving you something like a discount or coupon, or allowing you to buy some special exclusive something (in the way the TFCC does) - I could see that happening.

10. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I could see an online code redemption program working and staying relatively secure. Have an insert with a unique 10 digit alphanumeric code and after so many points you can get a shopping card at HTS, and hope what you want is still in stock.

11. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Back in the beginning I loved the idea behind the Robot points and mail-away exclusives. I longed for Reflector, and I did end up getting all 3 Omnibots! I think it would be a great idea to bring it back for mail-away exclusive figures. Oh yeah, and put the Robot Points on he back of the box! Kids love to rip open boxes and us collectors will be driven to madness with the decision: to cut or not to cut?:thumbs2: 

12. knook

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the great responses guys, I also agree that Hasbro'd probably do something like scratchcards with 10-digit codes.

Another idea would be that you get a scratch card with every figure Deluxe and above and it could be 5-20 points just randomly.

13. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I sold 120+ Robot Points on ebay for $10.

14. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seems like it would be cheaper for Hasbro to just print the points on the box, rather than go with a separate insert...and it's not like mint-package collectors are their target market anyway. If they were to use an insert, I'd think it would optimally need to be something visible through the package window. If the insert was in with the instructions or otherwise hidden, it would be too easy for people to buy a toy, carefully open the package, take the insert and then return the figure. On Voyagers and larger, that are just sealed with tape, it would be easy to do this with little/no damage to the package and no obvious sign the points insert was taken. Having the insert somewhere inconspicuous, but visible, would make that kind of tampering more difficult or at least obvious. In the event of an online points system, a scratch card would prevent people just reading the codes through the package.

15. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They did it with GI Joe. I'm all for it. I'm sure they could find a way to make them harder to tamper with/ copy.

16. influence82

influence82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    No. better to turn in receipts or insert papers (like on instructions or catalogs in the toys).