should there be toys of the other Primes?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by eagc7, Dec 26, 2009.

?

yes or no

1. Yes

29.0%
  2. No

19.4%
  3. Who cares?

35.5%
  4. Maybe

16.1%
  1. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    do you think hasbro should make toys of other priems from rotf?

i Say yes, THEY SHOULD!!!

2. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    From now on, I'm picking the 'who cares' option.

But no, Hasbro would screw it up.

3. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I said maybe. Hasbro could possibly make figures of the other Primes, but then again such figures could end up being shelfwarmers alongside Wheelie and the Twins, so it might not be worth making figures of them.

4. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    Not only would this never happen but it also sound like a very dumb idea anyways. The other Primes have no backstory or history at all so who would want to buy figures of them

5. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    It really wouldn't make too much sense.

6. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Not from the movie line, no.

Expending the idea a bit, in the next incarnation of 'Classics' or in 'Power Core Combiners' or whatever line, however, I think it might be an interesting idea to it a few more of the canonical Primes

Optimus has had a million figures, but you need name recognition to anchor a line, I'd love to see:

Rodimus Prime
    Sentinel Prime
    Vector Prime
    Nova Prime
    Omega Prime
    X + 1 Prime

I'm not a huge fan of the comic continuities myself, but I'm MUCH more likely to pick up a well designed Voyager/Leader of ANY random "X" Prime than ANOTHER red-truck-blue-hands Optimus Prime. Heck let's roll out Optimus Primal for some kind of super-cool update before ANOTHER OP.

And as we've seen from the ROTF interpretation of "The Falllen" Hasbro can take the core CONCEPT of a weird sub-line comic character and reinterpret it into a great main-line toy (Personal feelings about the ROTF Fallen toy, ROTF in general, etc etc. aside).

Yes, let's anchor the next non-movie branded line with NOT-Optimus Prime.

D/L

7. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree with D/L.

You had me until "from rotf". The other movie Primes simply aren't note-worthy enough to warrant their own toys, not to mention that they would be indistinguishable from the Fallen for most consumers.

Now, Classics/Universe style Primes like Sentinel and Nova, I would love to see. Similarly, however, most consumers also have probably have no idea who these characters are. Until there's wide-released material to help establish them to the general market, I can't see them materializing as toys.

8. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    I agree that they're not particularly recognizable characters, but my thought is that the "Prime" half of Optimus Prime carries enough weight to sell a cool-looking Autobot Leader toy (Hasbro certainly thought so in the ORIGINAL Movie era..).

Design a KICK-BUTT "Nova (Or whoever) Prime" toy, stick it in Universe 3.0 packaging with a function like "Autobot Intergalactic Commander" and a bio explaining his connection to Optimus Prime, and I bet it would sell just fine (At least if well designed and appealing looking.)

The uber-fan boys would snag it because it was a toy of their favorite obscure comic Matrix-bearer, the the casuals and kiddies would snag it because it looked cool and was a "Prime."

Hasbro didn't give us ANY Primes in 'Classics 2.0,' I can't imagine that trend will continue, and if we HAVE to have a flagship Autobot in the mix, I'd just love it was something a little more fresh...

9. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If Hasbro/Takara decided to make figures of every robot in the film (from characters we're currently denied to random ones like these or the Decepticon Protoforms at the final battle sequence), sure why not.

Otherwise, no. I wouldn't want to get one of the other Primes at the expense of Scrapper, the third cycle sister, Overload or Hightower or a larger figure of a prexisting character (Bonecrusher, Blackout/Grindor).

10. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    My understanding was that Hasbro was still rather protective of the "Prime" title for use on any character other than Optimus, although the position seems to flip between being okay with other Primes (Sentinel, Vector) and jealously guarding it (Nexus, Rodimus).

So I'd imagine Hasbro won't drop another six Primes on the market because they want to keep Optimus' name "unique".

11. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    No, not interested.

I mean short of some miracle where Hasbro says they're doing voyager Bonecrusher, Leader Blackout, the rest of the constructicons, the other cyclebot, human alliance Jolt, Jazz, and Sideways, a decent Devastator, heaps of new Classics figures, and a whole bunch of new stuff from Animated.

~ maybe after all that, I'd say sure, why not.

But for now, there's just so many other things I'd rather see them fill out the line with, and in the end I just don't think the other Primes would make particularly good figures.

12. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    I would personally love it if they did the other primes. They could easily use the mold for the Fallen's body and just do new head sculpts based on the ones from TFwiki to give them each a unique look.

http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/e/e1/RotF_The_Twelve_heads.jpg

Although I agree that they probably won't just due to the fact that they wouldn't want to dilute the Prime name, maybe in the future once Hasbro's done with the movie lines they might get some BotCon love :D 

13. DecepticonsRule

DecepticonsRule Triple-Changer

News Credits:
    I'd honestly prefer if they worked on getting the other Constructicons out. The other Primes had a little more... generic designs compared to some of the other characters in ROTF.

14. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For the RotF Primes, I'd like to see one (or both) of the following:

- Make minor retools to the Voyager figure of The Fallen and release it as the Prime who spoke to Sam during the dream/death sequence.
    - Make 6/7 minor retools to the Legends figure of The Fallen and release those as a 6/7 pack (I forget whether it's 6 Primes plus The Fallen or 7 Primes plus The Fallen) of Legends class RotF movie Primes. I think this would probably be the only realistic way to get all of them out, since the designs are just too similar to each other (and The Fallen) to justify all of them as Voyagers.

Now, leaving aside RotF, I'd love to see figures of the remaining 9 members of the first 13 (the original Primes) who don't have any toy representation. Granted, we don't know who all of the 13 are yet, but that would be a good opportunity for Hasbro to finally reveal the rest of the group.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009