Should the Transformers Reformat in TF3?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Xaddion, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Xaddion

Xaddion ...

News Credits:
    Do you think that the transformers should reformat into new vehicles for the next sequel and it's toyline? Not asking this because I want them to be G1 vehicles again like in that stupid script. Think about it:

The first movie had a bunch of new molds based on new GM and Lockheed Martin vehicles and stuff. Awesome.

The sequel ROTF had old transformers retained their same alt modes but got remolded and/or repainted toys while newer characters got fresh molds. A tad stale, but still awesome.

But by TF3, people might get bored with the same old alt modes and stop buying the new toys of the old characters. Not awesome.

HOWEVER, it some of the old characters got new alt modes, they can get new toys different from the old ones based on their old alt modes, and people will buy the new toys.

What do you think?

2. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    No thanks.

And I don't like how TFs are able to scan and reformat on their own, but that's personal taste.

It would make sense from a business perspective, to sell new toys (like you said), but would they go through the hassle with the risk of making inferior new toys (going back to the drawing board means the toys will once again be less accurate, like movie1)?

They'll probably be able to introduce a whole cast of new characters for TF3 next to the existing ones anyway, so they probably don't need to do this. People who already own the old molds will buy the new ones, and new fans (or people who missed out on the old molds) will buy the old molds anyway.

3. Echnalaid

Echnalaid Watermelons?

Ebay:
    They would never do it. GM would never go for it if they would lost their sponsorship.

4. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I'm the same. That's just making it too easy.

I think the alt mode should reflect the character. If they're gonna change it, there should be good reason. It's not something they should do just for the heck of it.

5. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    No.

6. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Keeping the characters' looks the same reduces the cost, and will ultimately result in more money for new characters and additional screentime.

7. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I feel the alt mode is as much part of the character as the robot mode. Some have great modes..some have...less great modes. :p  But they're all using them as good as they can.

In the movieverse it seems they can just scan and re-scan at will. There probably are some restrictions next to body type (a car bot can probably not become a jet..unlike what the DS games made possible :p ), and most of them might not be able to scan for longer periods of time, but it still annoys me somewhat. As kickass as the new Camaro is, I wish Bumblee would have stayed that crappy old Camaro. Sure, he's not the smallest Autobot in this universe, but that alt mode did give me the feeling he's the most down to earth and close to humans. Leave the snazzy sport cars for the other Autobots :p 

I'd rather have them be rebuilt and be stuck with it, it gives that cool 'robots' feeling to me, unlike the crazy nano-metal-bots that can take any shape and form a new mode in seconds..:p 

But eh..each universe it's own methods, I guess. Movie Transformers DO have ALOT of panels, and ROTF showed they regularly lose them in battle. I guess the nanostuff makes sense - it can regrow those parts fast so the alt mode won't have gaps :lol 

Icky!

8. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If Hasbro wants to make a buck on the next movie I think we will see a lot of re-formatting.
    Also, I'm not sure what else GM could possibly have in the hopper.
    AUTOBOTS
    Pontiac = Gone!
    Saturn = Gone!
    Hummer = Gone!
    Chevy Beat = Gone! (Replaced by a 4 door version for produciton)
    Chevy Trax = Gone!
    Chevy Camaro = 6 years old by the time the new movie comes out (2006 - 2011)
    Corvette Stingray = MotorTrend says the only thing that might make it to production for the 2012 models is the split window.
    Optimus Prime - Ultimate Optimus? I don't know if they can improve the Leader Class any more.
    Ironhide looks safe - Leader and Deluxe?
    DECEPTICONS
    F22 Raptor = Out! Production halted on July 2009
    Megatron = ?
    Did anyone else survive?

Oh, I see many new designs for TF3

9. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Ahh but I think this is the likely reason why we almost definitely will see some "reformatting" at some point (Maybe not Tf3, but maybe *Primus save us* Tf4)

At some point the line-up of cool concept-cars and next-years-models are all going to become "old stock" models for GM (Not to mention the toy-issue). People are already driving "Bumblebees" right now, but the time TF3 comes out, it'll be a what, 2-year-old model?

I'm sure GM will be fine with some 'new characters' pushing the latest/concept vehicles, but given the limited screen-time that characters like Sideswipe, Sideways, and Jolt got, and the fact that Ironhide's vehicle is now moth-balled, we're either going to be seeing a different core-cast of characters entirely (More so than was true for TF2), or SOMEONE's going to have to get an updrage eventuallly.

As far as insta-scanning goes, I'm good with it, TF's have been doing it since BWII, and frankly it works as a plot device, and makes sense as an skill for the specieis to have. If your whole survival technique is to "Adapt to look like the natives" it shouldn't be a big PITA to do so. And the movies added layer of "Entry Modes" for long distance space-flight etc. only adds a layer of logic that is really satisfying.

Edit- Ceerad beat me to the logic :)  And the list is worse than I thought!

D/L

10. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

No. Let the characters keep their alt-modes. Otherwise, people are going to be confused and think of that character as a whole new one if the change in alt-mode isn't explained in the film.

11. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

I think that since all but three Decepticons were killed in ROTF, Hasbro and Bay will just go from there and make a bunch of brand new Decepticons and a few new Autobots, give them all a decent amount of screentime in TF3, and the old characters won't have to reformat.

12. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was explained in TF1 when EVERY Autobot reformatted.
    Nobody thought there were 2 BBs or asked where all the meteor-bots disappeared to.

13. Alexander Quinn

Alexander Quinn Well-Known Member

Yes. As long as there is a legitimate story reason behind it, then absolutely. I don't want a new mode for anyone just cause they were bored with their old one (though that seems likely for characters like Skids and Mudflap), but upgrades or repairs might make it seem plausible and even logical. Ironhide had half of his chest ripped apart and on fire at the end of ROTF, so a new form for him in TF3 might make sense.

14. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

Yes. They should all turn into penguins and have faces that look like Michael Bay.

15. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    only if Arcee gets out of 3-bot mode and into 1-bot mode.

16. Soulmaster

Soulmaster Well-Known Member

maybe some could change, mainly the bike sisters (if they survived), Skids and Mudflap too, a new alt mode for Ratchet (maybe a real ambulance or who knows...) and maybe for Ironhide too... OP should keep being the same, and maybe next movie could introduce another autobot that could combine with OP and so, Hasbro could sell a new mold just to made the big leader able to combine with the other 'bot
    and for the decepticons... well, they are ok as they are, maybe megatron will change his form again (or maybe not and so hasbro could make a better leader megs for the next movie toyline :p )

17. Dinoman96

Dinoman96 Well-Known Member

Reformat? Sure! Lets have Bumblebee become a technorganic bee and Sideswipe a technorganic crocodile!

18. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    I say no for the most part. I'm sure Megs will be rebuilt and have yet another form, and it wouldn't surprise me if the Twins were different again if they return. But all the Autobots that have been in both movies so far should stick with the same alt modes, and some - like Jolt - that were barely in ROTF may not show up again at all.

I'd like for Soundwave to have a full-fledged robot mode, and I kind of expect Starscream to reformat since the F-22 is out of production (although I would prefer he didn't).

19. mrfang2

mrfang2 leader of team rejects

News Credits:
    Here are some ideas for altmodes

hotrod
    hotrod.jpg

prime
    PRIME.jpg

skids
    skids.jpg

sidswipe and repaint as sunstreaker
    sideswipe and sunstreaker.jpg

20. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd say yes for those whose modes have quick turnovers, especially sports cars. Bumblebee for example, is going to get obsolete soon. But other vehicle modes such as Optimus's truck and Ratchet's semi-ambulance (utility vehicles actually) I wouldn't mind them keeping it the same.

What I WOULD like to see is more upgrades for existing characters. For example, having some more power armor for Optimus or all those Recon weapons for Ironhide.