Should the Transformers have similar voices to the G1 Series?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Old School 75, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Old School 75

Old School 75 80s Baby!

Since Optimus will be voiced by Peter Cullen, should the rest of the Transformers have the same voices from the G1 series? As you well know some of the original voice actors have passed away. Should they get someone that sounds like the original voice actors? I think it would be pretty cool, but I'm a G1 series fan, I guess I could deal with different voices as long as of course OP and Meg sound somewhat original. What do you think?

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Prime, yes. We have Peter Cullen anyway, so it's all good. I'm not too fussed about Megatron's, and I never liked Starscream's much.

3. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

I hope that the helicopter has a dopey armada demolishor/cyclonus voice.

I love doofy decepticon goons :) 

4. .WAL.

.WAL. Banned

Well, if the robot forms looked closer to G1, then I would prefer the voiced be similar to G1.

However, since the bot modes look so much... different... then I think all new voice talent is justified.

WAL

5. chocula78

chocula78 Satellite Systems Engr TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    The voices from G1 could be rather goofy. Cullen always tried to play Prime as a John Wayne type character which fit in well with the direction the movie wants to take that character. You have to wonder how you have a 25+ foot robot talk without having a booming god like voice. I am curious about how they are going to handle that.

6. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

I stand by my original assertion that they just choose the voice who they think fits the role

As a fan I obviously have my favorites and as such my opinion is biased. Therefore what I want 1)Might not be what they want or 2)Might not even be good for the movie's success

7. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

G1 voice actors. Absolutely, positively, definitely. Nobody can get the job done better. Nobody, nobody, nobody.

8. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

News Credits:
    dear sweet beppy. I want new voices

9. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    iRobot-ish voices would be cool for the Autobots: friendly and human-ish, but at the same time hollow and robotic.

For the Decepticons, I would be surprised if they didn't sound raspy and horse, and Megatron will probably sound like Voldemort on steroids.

10. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

WHY are you shouting??

Anyway, put simply no.
    The voices should fit with their characters.

11. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

For Prime and Starscream yes, but for others get whoever..

12. thunderbat16

thunderbat16 scout sniper

Why not use as close to G1 as possible
    Ironhide sounded awesome as a gung-ho army grunt with massive combat experience and starscream sounding like a treacherous rat in the shadows waiting for his chance to take over

13. pepsijaybird

pepsijaybird Member

Dennis Haysbert As Ironhide?

I have a suggestion how about Dennis Haysbert from "24" as Ironhide, strong commanding voice, fits the soldier character that Ironhide will be.

Cullen was key in my book, he had to be Prime. I'd like Welker for Megatron since he is so talented, but I'd prefer they stop with G1 people there.

I'm guessing the Deceptions are going to sound like creatures since that's the way they are going with the designs. Hopefully, the designs have been modified on Megatron since the backlash was very negative.

I'm curious what they do with Bumble Bee, I pray they don't make him sound like a squeaky little duck.

14. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

I think a combination of similar voices and similar personalities will make it feel like the same Transformers we know and love. People are complaining right now about how much different they LOOK but we have not seen them move. Sound plays a HUGE part in how people identify with things, and if we hear the voices with personalities that are similar, then THAT is what will bring us closer to the G1 experience than they are now.

15. Exitspeed

Exitspeed Well-Known Member

SPOILER

Bumblee doesn't have his own voice in the movie.

16. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    Hell no! No offense but I don't want cartoonish voices in the new movie. OK, you have Cullen but that's it. Welker as MEgatron? No, no.

17. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

Cullen and Welker, YES. Especially if you've heard the "Special Message from Megatron" at Allspark.com.

I think it would be just as cool to have Cullen and Welker reprise their other roles like Frenzy and Ironhide.

I think Brawl should sound like Brawl. Prowl....I mean BARRICADE, I think might work if voiced by Robert Patrick. Patrick did such an excellent job as the T-1000 and to me seems right to be the Decepticon cop car.

Should whoever did G1 Scorponok do movie Scorponok? HELL NO. Sorry, that's one voice I was never to keen on.

I guess Dan Gilvesan for Bumblebee might work, just tone down the cartooniness a little. For Jazz? Here's an interesting choice, Bill Cosby. Might work, might not.

For Ratchet, new VA. Starscream needs to sound like Starscream. Either summon Latta's spirit through a weegee board or clone him, either way anything that's NOT reminiscient of G1 Starscream would seem strange.

The rest I'm not sure about. I suppose Vortex should sound LIKE Vortex and Bonecrusher like Bonecrusher, though I can vaguely remember their voices. In fact, the only Combaticons I have a clear remembrance of for voices are Brawl, Onslaught, and Swindle. Only Constructicon is Hook.

18. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    Well, the reason why I don't want Welker in the movie is this: the original Megatron was an old bot, right? So, his tone voice really match the character, but this new Megatron doesn't look that old. I just think who played BW Megatron could do a better job, what was his name?

19. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I am surprised that Cullen was cast as prime (prob just to shut fans up...) but the voices should sound robotic, not human.
    I would like to see certain aspects of the characters shine through though. Roadblock should have a weathered harsh voice
    Starscreem should have a whining voice.
    Jazz should have a jazzy voice???

20. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Aside from Cullen/Welker I don't care so as long as they don't get too crazy with celebrity casting.