Should the movie toys be discontinued?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by rabbid1, Mar 9, 2008.

1. rabbid1

rabbid1 Well-Known Member

The movie has been on DVD for a little while, and the next film is still a ways out.

The only way to keep the movie line alive is by having video game characters, repaints, more repaints and repaints of prior lines released as new movie characters.

Quite frankly, I think it's being milked to death.

Som who here thinks that it wouldn't be a bad idea to shelf the movie toys for a while? Focus on TF:A and the Universe lines. Wait until TF2 comes and then start a new movie line.

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    you do realize that the toyline would've been shelved already, except retailers demanded more since it sold so well, right? Also, the end of the line is already planned, it will be done in just a couple more months, as in June they will be putting out Animated and Universe toys, and they will want the movie stuff off the shelf to make room for those before they actually arrive.

3. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Yeah, I'm sick and tired of the constant repaints. Especially when the repaints aren't even actual repaints but mere touch-ups. Take the subline with those tiny human figurines for instance, it's beginning to remind me of double-dipping with DVDs...only it doesn't take a year or two from them to put out the new version.

4. lastmaximal

lastmaximal Hellspark

News Credits:
    not sure if this info is spot-on [anyone? Nevermore?], but they're just getting the most use out of the molds in the limited time that the IP license agreement with Paramount/GM/etc will allow them to. after that timeframe we'll likely not see these molds again, even when we miss them and/or want to see them in different color schemes down the line [until they renew/ink a new licensing agreement].

overall, it's not a matter of whether they "should" be discontinued. because they will, either way, and possibly conclusively.

5. OmegaDead

OmegaDead Well-Known Member

I don't really care for the repaints or new head molds (and I'm a total impulse buyer of really anything transformer related) I love the classics and a little of topic but I wish Hasbro would make a couple G1 movies or at least beastwars along the line of what Marvel id doing now with the animated Avenger/Ironman/Dr. Strange DVD's. For what they were I thought they were pretty good.

6. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    All of the repaints drive me crazy, for they are the only things I ever find on shelves, and I just hate repaints(except nightwatch prime and rescue rachet). I'm still trying to rack up some more movie characters, so I hope I get them all before they stop selling them. I also think that there are WAY to many exclusives.

7. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I wish I could see enough on the shelves to be sick of them. I'm still waiting for Offroad Ironhide.

8. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    well

- allspark power good
    - screen battles and battle damage repaints bad

that's just my opinion.

I think I'm just willing to double dip into these molds now, because their shelf life is'nt going to be nearly as long as cybertron or armada figures.

9. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    yeah but in less than a year after the classics and animated come out we will have another movie line with turtle faced transformers that will go on for too long and probabaly kill the normal lines yet again. its a double edged sword super cool movie that kills any decent toys for a while. more megan fox will be worth it.

10. Dark Starscream

Dark Starscream w/Powermaster Cobra Cmdr.

Yes, for the love of God, let it die!

My Wal-Mart is literally flooded with movie toys... none of which I want. Well, except for Big Daddy, I did make an exception for him.

11. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Doesn't really matter if you guys want them or not. What's important is the retailers and other customers want them.

12. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm not keen on the repaints, but new molds are always welcome.

Landmine is awesome, but with Cliffjumper, Recon Barricade, Rescue Ratchet, all the premium stuff, film scenes, I think Hasbro is going too far.

But hey, if it sells, it sells. And thats Hasbros bottom line.

13. sharke

sharke canadian piece of sh*t

tired of it but if ithey still sell and help the brand then go for it

14. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    a few months ago the uk saw solid waves of recon barricades, they're shelfwarming, roll on animated

15. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i'd like to see animated on the shelves now but of course thats not happening for several months so something we have to live with (oh the pain). Im feeling that a shelf full of the animated toys is going to look so much more appealing than the movie toys, ive said it before and i'll say it again, I find the core movie toys rather dull. Incredibly i think the most appealing movie toys are the legends.

16. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    I'm almost done with the movie line, I'm just missing a few molds and then the Premium series. I wanto to be ready when Animated hits.

17. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Eh, my stores can't keep 'em in. Honestly I dig the movie toys a lot more than Animated (and I love Animated!), I'll be picking up at least a hundred dollars more worth of these guys before its over, then I can chill and be all lax with Animated.
    DN

18. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Nah I'm not tired of it just yet.

1- It's making Hasbro plenty of money

2- Retailers wanting MORE Transformers to sell is only a good thing.

3- In my area 9 times out of 10 there's at least two or three kids looking at the Transformers stuff, so apparently the Movie line is still holding the target audience's attention

4- I'm all caught up on everything I want, save for Stealth Bumblebee so I don't have to spend money on Transformers until the fall when Classicverse hits shelves ;) 

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  19. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

LOVE your sig!!! :thumbs2: 

To answer the question. I was tired of the movie toys after the 1st wave. What can you actually do with only 5 Autobots & 7 Decepticons??? The constant repaints & repackages were to be expected. They had to stretch the line for about a year but they had nothing to work with.

All the goofy pre-school baby toys from the movie line such as FABS & Real Gears didn't sell at all. During the drought those were the only things you could find because nobody wanted that crap. Now Animated is going to look like ONLY those without any real Transformers to puchase.

20. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    there is no reason to end the movie line yet.would you rather look at pegboard or power rangers?all they are doing is increasing demand for classics and animated that we are going to buy.and the more transformers around the better.