Should the deceptions have won the war in IDW?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ultramagnus1, Nov 8, 2017.

?

Should the cons have won in idw

1. Yea

31.7%
  2. No

58.5%
  3. Maybe not sure

9.8%
  1. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In away Autobots lost the war.

2. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

No.

3. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Not everyone who has issues is Shadowplayed, some are just conflicted. The tough situation on it's own would lead to that.

Say what you will about Metalhawk, he did have a nice line of 'Who's fault is it they rose up, the oppressors or the oppressed?'.

Pretty much. A Decepticon victory is a shift to different targets. The Galactic Council, for example.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NoiseMaker

NoiseMaker Well-Known Member

There are no winners in war.

That said the Cons did beat the bots, galaxy wide - when Bombshell used Hunter O'Nhion's headmaster augmentations to access his brain to 'lockpick' the various access codes for the bots stations.
    Then Autobot high command launched an effective counter-strike, following a lucky shot by Spike with a new weapon, decimating the Decepticon leadership. Starscream was sent into a weird fugue state by the Matrix, allowing the autobots to re-group just in time for chaos.
    The war would have got going again if Prime and Megatron hadnt decided to try doing things differently in Dark Cybertron.

The whole things been quite messy since the AHM battle in New York, and to be fair i wouldnt expect the end if a four million year plus civil war to be in any way tidy. Plus there's a lot more interesting stuff going on than just fighting and shooting now.

I like things where they are at the moment. Although i am itching to find out what Impactor and his new gangs gonna do. Tarantulas and Springer and Verity too

• Like Like x 1
  5. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    That's a good point.
    If the Decepticons did win the war they'd have faced a situation (and this is quite interesting considering Roberts's Sovjet inserts) similar to the formation of the Sovjet Union where most great powers in the universe would attack them.
    And knowing Megatron that would truly turn into a galaxywide organic holocaust if he won that war.

• Like Like x 1
  6. sharkrainbow

sharkrainbow whirl is a trans girl

this is a real interesting thing to think about because while Roberts has made considerable ground in humanising the conflict over the last couple of years [and god do we love him for it], the foundation it's built on isn't one of two coherent, realistic political factions, but a really basic Good vs Evil archetype.
    it's hard to even conceive if what a 'con victory would look like because theyre designed not to win. the defining character trait of so many of them is LOOK HOW SCARY AND EVIL I AM, which makes any situation where they're not in direct conflict seem almost like parody. Like the issue that followed the DJD, but on a massive scale, it all starts to fall to pieces as soon as you examine it closely.

that said, i've been rooting for the 'cons since the late eighties and i would dearly love to see more done with their potential

• Like Like x 1
  7. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I don't see what Roberts has done as humanizing the war though.
    More like he explores sides of it that were unexplored before him.
    Before him all we got were battles.
    He gave the war a background, a history and development. He explored how ordinary cybertronian soldiers experienced the war and how the intergalactic community was affected by it.
    I don't call that humanisation, but exploration.
    And i love him for it in any case.
    The line can be thin though:
    Things like swerves bar and amica rituals have been seen by many as overhumanisation and they were not amused, so i think that "we" is a pluralis majestatis.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  8. sharkrainbow

sharkrainbow whirl is a trans girl

"a background, a history and development"
    i consider that to be humanising though, given that previously the 'cons were barely more than cardboard cutout stereotypes of evil.
    i mean, the closest we got to some sort of explanation in g1 was "they were originally military hardware so they were VIOLENT FROM THE START"
    and i feel like even using that example is kinda cheating a little since that was a single ep and for the most part the most nuanced it got was
    "here's megatron with his heart of evil here to be mean to puppies cus he's evil"

9. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Edited by Internet Jesus, 2008

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Far superior to the official version.

11. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Is that from "The Truth About Ratchet?" That stuff used to have me rolling.

12. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

Hah! I've always loved Soundwave as a radio host personality.

13. Rabid Robot

Rabid Robot Phase 7er

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I want every issue of AHM like that

14. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    Even discounting the extremeist nature of the state under Decepticon rule, Megatron would actively move out to other planets to cyber form them. Billions would die. And the very nature of the state would mean there would be a much larger autobot revolutionary element than you see with the cons in the current world which means the war would almost certainly re-ignite.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Pfft.
    AHM superior.
    Parody inferior.

16. Ricky Spanish

Ricky Spanish Shingo No-Prize

They did win the war, it seems the ongoings completely forgot that fact.
    During -ations they were two super powers in a cold war, they spanned the galaxy until the Decepticons gained the upper hand and decimated the Autobots killing millions and dropping the survivors on Cybertron.
    Despite Megatron and the Infiltration squads loss on Earth, they STILL had fleets and space stations and other bases in operation and yet for some reason Costa's ongoing began with them scavenging each other on some asteroid and there's been no mention of what happened to them. MTMTE has tried to fix this by showing they were scattered, fractured and facing threats from the Galactic Council and Black Block Consortia but still no explanation.
    Worse, we come to RID where Vector Sigma's signal brings in thousands of Transformers from across the galaxy, they brought back new discoveries, technological advancements and a wealth of information but that was completely ignored in favour of episode one politics.
    The Titan colonies look to be another colossal waste too.

17. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    I'm going with No because I feel like it wouldn't change anything. The IDW Decepticons (who originally had good intentions before all that genocide) are bad guys. Any plot that involves their victory would eventually be about the Autobots trying to overthrow them, leading straight back into another war plot.

• Like Like x 1