Should the deceptions have won the war in IDW?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ultramagnus1, Nov 8, 2017.

?

Should the cons have won in idw

1. Yea

31.7%
  2. No

58.5%
  3. Maybe not sure

9.8%
  1. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

Its just a scenario I have been thinking about since the end of chaos. I wonder should the cons have won the war? Kinda think the idea would have been an interesting one. Megatron and the cons rule and the Autobots be subservient.

Think it would've been good tbh.

2. Boatformer

Boatformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    "Guerilla Autobots on Decepticon-ruled Cybertron" could be cool, but also that's basically just Beast Machines.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ultramagnus1

Indeed but I think the Cons actually wining and setting up a government and running Cybertron would be cool.

With the few spins IDW have putbon transformers this would've been a good one. And I ask with all the great warriors the cons have why they didn't.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    The reason they didn't is D-void (Or rather Mike Costa) fucked everything up for them and made Megatron fight his own army, then when D-void was defeated they all offlined and the Autobots got woken up first so they put handcuffs on everyone and ended the war by locking up presumably half Decepticon high command and their army.
    So basically how they lost the war is as ridiculous as how BW Megatron became ruler of Cybertron in Beast Machines.

But we could still see a Decepticon ruled society cause they had an empire once, and i think it would be cool if we had a few flashback miniseries that took place in that era.

Unfortunately we now know that IDW isn't interested in doing cool stuf anymore.
    They just want to do events about GI Joe and Scarlett.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ultramagnus1

Its a terrible way to end the war. A phoned in story that was veered from passable in places to downright horrendous. If we include police action in this then the whole 7 partner to unofficially end the war in IDW was just a terrible way.

The cons wining and Cybertron rebuilt in Megatron's image would have been such a cool way. Yeah we could have Autobots striking back. Far better then the standing around postulating and getting some flashbacks.

Would be far more interesting IMO.

6. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

Isn't this the premise of AHM though?

• Like Like x 4
  7. ultramagnus1

It wasn't the end though. Megatron ultimately lost. The war only ended after chaos.

Officially

• Like Like x 2
  8. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    I feel like we've see what happens when the Cons 'win' or are 'winning' the war and the Autobots are on the ropes many times already.

Someone (usually Megatron) becomes a megalomaniacal dictator, and the Bots become an underground freedom force.

And in the most recent iteration we've even gotten to see how the Autobots also kind of started that way, with the Cons acting as the revolutionaries.

I think the best version of the war ending is what we've had lately, a largely 'equal' stalemate, grinding its way toward unified peace. I mean, the Autobots might have 'won' this time around, but the Cons were quickly remade into regular citizens and Starscream is stewarding the future of their homeworld.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Rabid Robot

Rabid Robot Phase 7er

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    True but we do get a close glance at what it would be like if the autobots and humans had not retaliated and the cons ruled.

I love IDW megatron mostly because of what could happen in this scenario with his character. He has good intentions, just looses his way.
    I think if megs won the war officially during AHM then life wouldnt be so peaceful and happy like he planned. However, if he suddenly came back to our universe, turned to a con again, and defeated the autobots, then life would be good because he has realized how much he strayed from his good morals during the war

10. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    I think its important to remember that IDW Megatron 'loses his way' extremely early on; early enough for us to see that his 'intentions' were ultra violent in nature. Freedom from oppression is good, but if your only path to achieving it is the complete eradication of anyone who stands in your way, you're still 'the bad guy.' I'd go so far as to call the original IDW Megs 'irredeemable.'

The Megatron that is somehow morally turned around by witnessing Bumblebee's death, and the Autobot Megatron Roberts wrote is really another character entirely.

They both have their uses, and the original has some modicum of depth, but without the Lost Light adventures, no previous version of IDW's Megatron was going to be very interesting to read in a governmental leadership role, IMO.

I'll add that Optimus has the same problem, but from the other side. He's almost 'irredeemably good.' IDW is trying so hard to make OP more nuanced and interesting without losing the OP that so many people know and love, but they just can't seem to push him far enough over the morality cliff (in a believable way) to be anything more than a (barely nuanced) Christ-like / Captain America-esque savior.

Obviously, IDW did a great job making Prowl an interesting morally gray(ish) character.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Lionheart

Lionheart Well-Known Member

I'm actually somewhat annoyed that they keep trying to push Optimus into a more gray zone. Making a character darker and more troubled isn't necessarily always more realistic or interesting. I̶ ̶m̶e̶a̶n̶,̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶k̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶u̶n̶p̶l̶e̶a̶s̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶n̶u̶5̶2̶ ̶s̶u̶p̶e̶r̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶a̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶o̶y̶s̶c̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶r̶e̶b̶i̶r̶t̶h̶ ̶S̶u̶p̶e̶r̶m̶a̶n̶.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    The most interesting Optimus isn't morally corruptible... It's when he's a fish out of water.

I thought he was great as Orion Pax after Optimus Prime 'died'.

Honestly, they're trying to be too 'organic' with his story. Want to make him really interesting? Give him some robo amnesia after valiantly putting himself in harm's way, and show us how twisted up everyone gets trying to tell him who he's 'supposed' to be, as he trots off, unconcerned, with the weight of the worlds off his shoulders.

13. Cavadus

Cavadus Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    As for Prime, I'd really just like to see him struggle with his past and PTSD from eons of conflict while trying to hide it from everyone. Make his character about facing his inner demons post-war. Turn his story into a deeply personal one.

• Like Like x 3
  14. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

I enjoyed when (post Dark Cybertron, or during MTMTE?) when Ratchet straight-up called Megatron out on that bullshit.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    I agree heartily with this.

It is why the whole "redemption arc" is so dull and artificial.

Didn't Megatron also declare his intention to Starscream to pretty much gradually murder of the entire Decepticon army in order to build a new peacefull society after his ideals on Cybertron after he won the war?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Boatformer

Boatformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Well, I don't exactly disagree with THAT.

17. ultramagnus1

My belief is the whole redemption arc is bogus. He hasn't really changed. The signs are there if you know where to look. I don't have the time to go into the signs but all I will say now is

In ahm issue 11 Megatron tells starscream that in order to get what he wants starscream will need to crush him. He hasn't.

Starscream is still afraid of Megatron returning

• Like Like x 1
  18. redwolfbear

redwolfbear Banned

Facebook:
    way way way way back at the beginning with the infiltration/stormbringer /eschalation storylines it was hinted at that optimus himself was on the verge of experiencing some kind of mental breakdown of his mind/ that he may well have been on the verge of developing a alternate personality of sorts at the most extreme

it was never really hinted at in full or even allowed to happen fully as a part of the storyline from that time period but I always figured that if he was put under enough stress if the war were to really grind donw on him stress/pressure wise he might very well have fallen into being a well intentioned anti-hero extremist(essentially a well intentioned/corrupted darth prime sort of character ala nemesis prime/scourge/black convoy)

I always thought it would be awesome to see a hero character like optimus deal with that sort of experience mental brainwashing shadowplay wise

• Like Like x 1
  19. redwolfbear

redwolfbear Banned

Facebook:
    think optimus prime going all nemesis prime/darth vader magneto ala superman red son

his still being a genuine good guy in his well meaning anti- villain way but hes going about the matter by less then genuinely altruistic ways(though he is certainly attempting to achieve good work results wise in the long term ala doctor doom just for example

[​IMG] it is damn freaky how well that upside down autobot symbol passers for darth vaders face in a way

20. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    I would like to see shadowplay get some more consequences than just Shockwave.
    This seemed to have been a prettt widespread practise the senate engaged in.
    It would be nice for that to have some consequences in the present (or the less distant past).
    I don't know what, but the practise must have had it's effect on society and individuals.