Should the Concept of Pretenders Be Brought Back?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DecepticonSpike, Feb 12, 2017.

1. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Whilel the idea was interesting, I wasn't really impressed with how it was addressed in the Marvel comics, and I still do not understand the way it happens in Masterforce. However I did like the movies take on the human disguise being the actual alt mode. I'd like to see the concept revisited, but in a different way. Do you think the idea can be brought back, or no? If yes, what changes to the idea would you make, if any?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, I've always liked the concept, there's probably a way to improve on the idea with modern manufacturing technology, it's worth a shot!

• Like Like x 3
  3. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

I think it could work if they disguised themselves as actual living things that live on Earth, or at the very least have the Decepticons look intimidating. For instance, Stranglehold's appearance as a giant human wrestler who much of the time has a mustache is kind of goofy looking in my opinion. Guys like Bludgeon, Bomb-Burst, etc. do have the intimidation factor but not really the disguise part. I'd like the Pretender shells to be disguises if possible.

Have the Pretenders appear either as humans or as some of the many wild and domestic animal species that call Earth home. Or alien species if the fiction takes place off-world.

4. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    It would work if they are not intended to be in disguise.
    Let the the inner robots be Cybertronians who where civillians originally, thei altmodes have been adapted for speed, being able to carry powerfull weapons for fast explosive attacks.
    But they have a built that is more vulnerable compared to other Autobots and Decepticons.
    The "shells" have been produced with the technology the quintessons used for the creatures in "dweller in the depth".
    They are essentially armour for the inner robot, but the are also able to generate organic food into energon for the inner robot.
    The way the consiousness works is similar to Skylynx etc: its a split spark with one consiousness divided between the two units.

Also: what a question! Offcourse the Pretenders should be revisited! They where awesome :) 
    As long as they dont do that thing where the shell is the "bot"mode of the robot like with ROTF Bludgeon, cause that shit suuuucked!

I hope we get them all updated in a future toyline with legend class inner robots and deluxe or voyager class transformable shells a la G1 Thunderwing.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Lord High Governor

News Credits:
    Sure, why not?

6. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Also known as Cheese House

News Credits:
    Nah, most pretenders were just simplified robots in unarticulated shells, with modern engineering levels I don't think they could make either robot or shell very interesting. But that's just my :2c: 

7. Prime Wylde

Prime Wylde Candy Coated

News Credits:
    I think if done similar to unrustable bastards it could work. but have the lil interior bot have his own beast mode or something.

8. geekatron prime

geekatron prime The Grammar Police must be on strike.

News Credits:
    Having pretenders again would be great to me. I have most of the g1 ones, and always thought they were neat.

9. Honorbound

Honorbound Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I had the idea once of having Pretenders disguise themselves not as organics, but as other Transformers. The core robot would be a skeletal figure that could remove and replace its outer "flesh," its outer protomatter shell and armor plating the way that you or I would change clothes. In this way, they could double as anyone, literally wear the other person's face.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Honorbound

Ebay:
    Edit: The problem with mainline Transformers donning pretender shells is the sheer scale discrepancy between Transformers and humans. By changing whom is being mimicked and alterign the core robot, we can remove most of those issues.

11. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Like a Decepticon disguised as Prime?

12. Honorbound

Ebay:
    As anyone within the Autobot command structure, or as some random, easily-overlooked nobody who sees everything. It would be if Animated Shockwave had stolen Longarm's outer metal and replaced him instead of just using the name as a cover identity.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I like that idea.

14. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Make em all kaiju.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Lord High Governor

News Credits:
    Well, when you put it that way.

[​IMG]

The Autobots could have giant suits of armor, like Jaegers. The cons could be Kaiju. :lolol 

• Like Like x 2
  16. Weezie

Weezie Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, they suck

• Like Like x 2
  17. Honorbound

Ebay:
    Thanks.

It beats the current approach.

18. Aernaroth

News Credits:
  19. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Its only a problem if you per se want the shells to represent human scaled creatures or disguises for the inner robots.
    I've always thought the disguise concept severly limiting for the franchise, as in: whats the use of them being robots from outer space if you want them to conform to earthbound appearences all the time.
    Ad to that the fact that every writer has been all to willing to drop the cloack and dagger thing because they dont have a clue how to write these charaxters if they are going to be cars all the time.

20. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    No thanks, with the exception of the first year Autobots the original designs where a lot more creative than this.
    Also: this is actually completely the same as the G1 Pretenders apart from the part where the shells look like Godzilla. And the inner robot doesnt transform.

I dont see why people desperatly want the G1 designs to change just for the sake of change.
    Its as if we where talking about getting the first chug Wheeljack toy and wanting it to be an orange and purple guy with a space jet mode just so it would be different from the G1 toy.