Should the Autobots be numerically superior in the sequels?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by RedWolf, Jun 23, 2007.

1. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Ok the tagline of this movie is "Most will come to destroy us" (Decepticons) and "Some will come to protect us" (Autobots).

This is the first time character wise, media and toy wise the Decepticons outnumber the Autobots.

Now it is quite common before that the Autobots outnumber the Decepticons in various lines.

Would you want to revert back to the status quo of Autobot numerical dominance in the sequels?

2. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

I don't think so. From a 'drama' viewpoint I think the Autobots should always be the underdogs. Odd that the more toylines rarely reflect this, making the Decepticons seem the 'put upon' minority.

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I'd really like it if the numbers were equal, and every 'bot had a 'con rival type thing...

4. Turnip

Turnip Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I just figured that shows the Decepticons as the "criminal element" of Cybertronian society.

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I much prefer the superior numbers for the 'cons. It makes sense, for the civilians to outnumber the military at first, but in a civil war situation, the Decepticons were ready, trained, and in the Movie (going by the prequel comic and games) have a drone army. Their uprising probably had massive casualties in the first few hours, before anyone knew what was happening.

The Autobots being the poorly armed, rag-tag band fighting the superior organised, better equipped army is always something that has appealed to me. I wouldn't want it to be the trend, but after Galaxy Force / Cybertron had a half dozen Decepticons VS two dozen or more Autobots in the show, the Movie's dynamic is refreshing.

And it makes for good drama.

6. BeastWars 4ever

BeastWars 4ever Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Transformers 2: A True Underdog Story.

7. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hope that in the second movie a few new decepticons come and a bunch of new autobot to keep up with the decepticons but still out numbered by 2 or 3.

8. Lady_Prime

Lady_Prime Prime's Leading Lady

Ebay:
    It will solely depend on the story line....and what kind of drama (!) is going on. I agree that there should be more Autobots but you have to add in some choice chunk Decepticons like Soundwave and Shockwave into the fray.

Then you have massive carnage, more fighting, more buildings blowing up, massive human casualties and less time for a human soap opera.

Heather

9. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    On one hand having more Cons means there more of a sense of danger. But having the be big scary Cons out numbering the Autobots every time and still getting there asses kicked make them seem weak.

10. mblase

mblase Well-Known Member

When you're selling a toyline (i.e. a tv cartoon), you want more good guys. This is because kids want to buy good guy toys.

When you're making an action movie, you want more bad guys. This is because you want to kill/destroy as many of them as possible.

You'd think the contradiction here would be solved by Hasbro making lots of Autobot "non-movie" movie toys, but instead we get Swindle, Wreckage, and a Barricade repaint. Oh well.

11. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    keep the odds against the Autobots, keep it interesting

12. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

Yeah, I always liked the idea of each Autobot/Maximal having a Decepticon/Predacon opponent who matches up evenly to him/her.

But on the other hand, I alwyas liked the idea of having more Autobots, but having the majority of them weaker than the Decepticons, it gave more to the whole "Strength in numbers" thing.

13. buckmana

buckmana Well-Known Member

In the beginning, Autobots outnumbered the Decepticons.

The Decepticons were designed for war, but the Autobots work more cohesively as a single team.

I'd prefer that the numbers are equal. Besides, I always tried to match Autobots and Decepticons as pairs too.

In any case, numbers do not win a war. Look at that Battle for the Allspark (an online Transformers battle simulation) game. The Decepticons are heavily outnumbered at least two-to-one and they're winning. :rolleyes2  By the way, when I played, I was an Autobot. But I was playing Swindle, who is a Decepticon. :confused2 

In any case, the battle could be one by a leader, either Optimus Prime or Megatron. Or by a giant, like Omega Supreme, Superion or Devastator. I remember one episode where Predaking thinks he will win and Sky Lynx pulls him apart, leaving the Predacons at a decided disadvantage, since he's bigger then they are! :lol 

[​IMG]
    "Cosbydaf, what did you do to my face?"

14. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

Hope the Decepticons bring in the drones for the sequel so that the Autobots can be further outnumbered (and so they can show off more robot destruction).

15. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

I suspect in future movies, the human governments are more likely to side with the Autobots once their differences are explored and ironed out (focal point of sequel perhaps?) , and likewise the Autobots might provide means for the humans to defend themeselves againts the Decepticon threat. Therefore I definatetly agree that the decepticons should vastly outnumber the Autobots in the next movie for a more even playing field.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I agree.

17. buckmana

buckmana Well-Known Member

Only if it goes better then the cartoon version. The humans had advanced weapons from the Autobots and were still defeated. It just took the Decepticons slightly longer to do it.

In the comic, III (Irittating Idiots Incorporated, (no, not that's no what it really stood for) was a secret government agency dedicated to dealing with the "robot menace". Frequently, they hindered the Autobots and helped the Decepticons (unwittingly). When the truth was eventually discovered, they were disbanded (one of the reasons was that they knew and were concealing the information, sometimes through illegal means).

Might the next movie go that way too? But I never did like III or RAAT anyway.

18. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I think my favorite thing about the movie is that the Autobots are outnumbered. I'd love for a new fleet of Decepticons led by Shockwave to show up for the sequel.

19. Pwnbeaver

Pwnbeaver teh uber pwnage

I want the autobots to outnumber the decepticons in the second movie then brutilly pwn their asses so that the third movie can be shown in the decepticons point of view as an almost extinct faction and the autobots sre shown as evil monsters. Then the decepticons dont seem like mindless terrorists anymore.