Should TFs transform into 100% real cars?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SentinelPrime, Jan 17, 2011.

1. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    Helllllo! I'm chillin' after work, with no one to talk to about this stuff, so I thought I''d make a couple of threads. Just had a couple of things to bounce around...

When I was young, in the 80s, and TFs were so awesome, new and exciting, I never really thought that they turned into real cars, or planes. I always assumed it was a disguise. Just something to blend in passing so you don't stand out. It never really occurred to me that they became 100% real cars, down to working engines and parts.

Same thing with the seekers, I never thought about mass shifting with them, I just assumed they had jet disguises so that when someone glanced up at the sky and saw them flying they didn't stand out, but clearly they weren't 3 times the size of an autobot car. They weren't hanging out on airfields with other planes. They just looked like jets. Hell, the G1 decepticons weren't even that concerned with hiding at all, anyway.

Even in G1 issue 1, Bumblebee had no gas pedal, ignition or brakes, and if I recall wasn't Raul surprised at the computer systems of Tracks in the cartoon?

So, whaddaya think? Should TFs become actual, 100% working vehicles?

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Nope. I'm of the opinion that TFs, when in vehicle mode, lack most of the components a normal vehicle would have, instead using the resulting space to stow their robot-mode parts. Transformation would therefore be difficult, if not impossible, were they to become actual working cars, planes, trucks and such.

3. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Depends on the universe. I don't really mind some goofiness in the more cartoony universes, but in a real life setting they should look accurate enough to look 'real'.

4. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    When they are supposed to transform into real vehicles, I want them to look exactly like the desired vehicle. If it is not possible due to licensing I'm a bit dissatisfied. Example Jazz.

But I do much like Cybertronian fantasy designs. If they look cool I'm fine with them and I much prefer them over real life vehicles. And they do not have any licensing problems! ;) 

5. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    Well, in the movie-verse, when BB transforms, for example, you can see some glimpses of engine and such. The question that has always plagued me in the movies: WHERE DO THE SEATS GO?!?!?!?

6. Driftx3

Driftx3 lord of all things robot

Well and F-15 is fukkin huge! If a Con was an F-15, he'd be like four times as tall as a bot that is a Nissan Fairlady. So in G1 the size is pretty on par.

As for if the TF's should be real cars, in the Bayformer's Vomit Pile Of Horrible, yes they all must transform into GM's because as any mechanic will tell you, GM's are the most pathetic, low preforming, ugliest of makes of automobile, so they must keep in the lame that is Micheal Bay.

In G1 disguise was key, so they needed to be actual cars.

In IDW Bumblebee states that Scavenger is a TF because he can see the articulation seams in his vehicle mode.

In pretty much everything else, just kinda looking like a regular car is close enough as TF's are not that secret.

But as to mass-shifting and to where parts go to and come from, it is explained somewhere that the Transformation Cog is a subspace teleporter coded to an individual bot that is inaccessible to anyone other than that bot. Kinda like a Bag of Holding in D+D.

7. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Real or made-up vehicles, as long as they look cool it's all fine by me :thumbs2: 

8. MenasorMaster

MenasorMaster Stunticon Warrior

i want super modfied cars or extreme conversions, like those virtually tuned cars you see on several sites or the scythe car, which was originally a ford mustang but was heavily modified.

for example a tf can scan a ford gt as base but tune himself to look like this:
    http://hvtm.hu/car/l/ford/635923.jpg

Or a aston martin:
    http://www.autemo.com/dc/users/1/U6MSH/181/chops/Jakusa_GtVado_2007_by_Jakusa.jpg

Or a Lamborghini:
    http://www.autemo.com/dc/users/1/U6MSH/181/chops/Jakusa_Triango_2008_by_Jakusa_1_2_3.jpg

Those vehicles look very cool, and even if they get attention, people would just think that its either an exotic car they dont knew about or it is an heavily modified car.
    They just take one vehicle as base but can add or change some features.
    Megatron will do it in the movie, i doubt that there is a real truck that looks like his altmode, i think he just scanned a normal mack truck and was like "that thing sucks, its not worth for megatron", then he decided to add some features and choosed the altmode.

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    As cool as it is for them to turn into real cars, for a race that's spread out over a number of worlds, time periods, and with different motivations, it isn't necessary. Why would transformers who live on Cybertron turn into IRL earth cars? What about Decepticons with a hatred of earth culture?

It's nice when they do, its understandable when they don't, and it makes sense for them not to in a lot of cases.

10. Cybermnky

Cybermnky Well-Known Member

My understanding of the original question was whether the cars they turn into be complete 100% replicas of the cars in alt-mode. For example - Movieverse Bumblebee has an engine, seats etc... Whereas the interiors of the vehicles in G1 were often sparse and futuristic and not as life-like. The alt modes were disguises as opposed to them turning into actual replicas.

11. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    The reason that they turned completely similar into vehicles is a huge point as to why I LOVE the Bayverse. I hated "BLOCK HERE, BLOCK THERE" styles.

12. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

If they are robot's in disguise. They should look identical to the vehicle they are trying to disguise them selves as. Any deviation from that would probably be a give-away to their enemy.

"Hmmmm, something odd about that Hummer over there. I better check it out."

13. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Banned

When in vehicle mode, they are merely hiding their robotic parts in a shell, and using the vehicles shapes as appendages and such. For example, in the beginning of G1, you can see the vehicles scanned (exterior) and then used as an alternate shape. They would have to go under complete reconstruction from their Cybertronian modes to take the internal shape and figures of an Earth vehicle. When they were built on Cybertron, chances are they are going to keep their alien components that are capable of making them "Transformers" and not an Earth creature. Also, you couldn't mass shift with anything here on Earth, so they have to be Cybertronian on the inside.

The toys are really the best example. You can see how the vehicle takes a shell around them, and then dissects and disassembled in robot mode. Look at this picture. The back of the vehicle is housing Cybertronian components, and other parts are used as a shell when in disguise, though not needed in robot mode. They also tend to use those vehicle kibble pieces as weaponry when necessary.
    [​IMG]
    Just my opinion, hope it helps.

14. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The other thing to remember is that awesome-looking real cars are inheirantly more conspicuous than common, easily-disguised ones. And that makes for toys and characters that are arguably less interesting.

15. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

^^^ this.

the size issue does bug me though.

16. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

I have always felt that it is a disguise. The don't actually transform into a car. That's not realistic. Where is the head? Hands? Spark? I think they should transform into something that passes for a car/plane/tank ect. That it can mix in with real ones but under close inspection you would see it's alien. (or just popping the hood)

17. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Yes.

18. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:
    No. They need to look like cars, to the degree people wouldn't suspect them, but they wouldn't need internal engine parts, sound dampening material under the carpets, relays and a battery. They would look real if you crack the hood, but if you started to pull stuff off you would see they are Transformers.

I think they could fake it good if they needed to, like they are infiltrating a mechanic shop or something and wanted to give the appearance they were real by accepting an oil change. Mostly though it would be a total waste of effort to completely Transform yourself into all the parts needed to make a car, as 99% of the time only the exterior is seen.

19. Chris B

Chris B Well-Known Member

Depends on the medium. In the comics and cartoon, you can cheat here and there. But the movies had to have them look completely real.

20. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:
    Looking real is just that - looking. So they don't change completely bolt for bolt "100%" into a car. I think that is what the OP is asking? Or at least that's how I read it, of course there are all sorts of issues with making the toys look real vs close enough due to licensing. Maybe the OP can clarify?