Should TF4 take place in the future?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Gaastra, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    OK. Shia said he won't return but carley might and all the main decepticons are dead.

How about the next one take a cue from the 86 movie and skip ahead to the future. We could have sam and carly married with sam off at a job (that way he doen't get killed, or dumped and we can explain why he's not in the movie),and have his son danial as the new lead? They can have danial a teen and have him friends with bumblebee.

Megatron could return as galvatron (by unicron or a human bad guy or something else).

What do you guys think? Good idea or bad idea?

Should the 4th movie skip ahead in time?

2. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

I don't think everything needs to take a cue from the '86 movie, necessarily, but I'd be up for a time-jump. Not too far, though...I personally wouldn't go much further than 15 years; cars and trucks haven't changed all that much (externally, anyway) in the past decade and a half as it is - just get the curviest new ones out there (like what was done with 'Bee and Sideswipe, particularly) and I think it'd work.

3. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Unless they continue to use alt modes from DOTM, the no.

4. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm going to have to say a big NO for setting the movies in the future.

One of the things that has worked so well for the live action films is that you could go watch the movies and then when you leave the theater you can wonder if any of the cars in the parking lot were an Autobot or a Decepticon.

Given that the effects budget is already pushed just to get the Autobots and Decepticons on the screen I'd really hate to think we'd have to miss time with Transformers because parts of the budget had to be spent on cars of the future instead of just using cheaper no FX required cars. Why spend millions on futuristic cars when GM and other auto makers would let the production team use the cars just for the advertising potential of having their cars in a huge summer movie?

Personally I think we should just restart. Shia wants to move on and Micheal Bay seems to have gotten a bit burned out on the amount of work these films take so let another production team take over. Dark of the Moon kind of wrapped up the current story so maybe it's time for a new story.

5. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    By future i ment 10 to 15 years. Not flying cars future.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I think if you're going to set the film in the future, but not far enough there aren't significant differences in how the world works and in what technology is available, there isn't much point in doing it, since you're basically lessening the impact of doing that in the first place.

7. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Half of the fun of the live action franchises is imagining that it could be taking place right now, in our world. With that in mind, and the fact that the film makes a serious ammount from the car companies, I don't think we'll see a far-future film. Maybe something Post-Modern Tech, like I Robot.

8. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Yeah let's have it take place in the future. 2013/14/15 sound good?

9. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

No

10. Stockade187

Stockade187 Decepticon Junkie

5-10 yrs after DOTM is fine. Cars usually keep the same body style for 5 yrs. Hopefully they will use some Dodge vehicles in the next one like the SRT RAM, Challenger, Charger or new Viper.

11. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

i want see tf4 movie like 81 cartoon movie with dainel and etc

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I don't really care.

13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

So the Autobots are all going to be cars that are 10 to 15 years old?

14. Hellscream15

Hellscream15 Hi... Bl

Technicaly dotm already took place in the future...by a few months.

15. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I support the movie being set in the same future it's released in.

16. Arashistorm

Arashistorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The timeskip seems very likely...although all the movies had the timeskip between them, a big enough gap to write Sam out can happen. Shia says he wasnt coming back for another movie, so that leaves room for an amount of time for him to leave and perhaps get replaced with someone else (regardless of what happens, there WILL be human scenes in these movies...).

It's a good point though that it'd be odd for the cars to remain the same vehicles and therefore be outdated...so I'd say the movie should take place in the same year that its released in theatres...or a few years after it.

17. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope it does, with a different protagonist.

I want to see how the Transformers being on Earth affects society long term. Doesn't have to be zomg futurama future, they could just do it like Real Steel.

18. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Yes, but do you know what cars will look like in 10-15 years? For all we know they'll be ugly dome things.

19. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I guess it could work. It could provide for some really cool imagery. But...

This basically sums up my opinions on the matter.

20. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

I doubt that. Years ago automakers tried to hawk all those old George Jetson flying bubble-top concepts to the masses at countless World's Fairs without pointing to the practical considerations and flaws of such designs. We don't even have flying cars (and thank the Maker for that...it's great if you're Doc Brown, but drunk driving, road rage and drive-by shootings would take on a totally new level of lethality if cars were ever allowed to fly), so the notion that in another decade all the snazziest cars on the block are gonna look like something from the planet Krypton is not one I think is anything to take seriously.

Personally, my interest in a time-jump for the TF movies would have more to do with having a more significant passage of time in play...enough for some major things to have happened off-screen that would position the Transformers for the fourth film (like, say, making sure there aren't any more ancient Cybertronian MacGuffins buried on or near Earth, for one example) without requiring exposition any more complicated than, say, being told flat-out that Mikaela dumped Sam.