Should smokescreen be called hotrod instead of smokescreen/should he be hotrod??

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by optimusb1327, Mar 25, 2013.

1. grimmlock

grimmlock Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I think the question should be rephrased and it would have made a bit more sense to everyone.
    Correct me if I'm worng but I think the questions he's asking is... Should the "new Recruit" have been Hot Rod instead of Smokescreen?

I think the current personality of Smokescreen fits better with who we know Hot Rod to be. The fact the he may get the Matrix and become a prime, also gives more of a Hot Rod trait. To be honest, I don't think Smokscreen has been developed enough to be inconsideration to receive any type of leadership role. Cheetor had to go through 4 seasons to have neough growth in order to become a leader.

So to answer your question, if I'm understanding it correctly, yes Hot rod would have been a better fit instead of Smokescreen.

2. Jakest123

Jakest123 Well-Known Member

Hot Rod would have been too simple to guess. The moment he was introduced everyone would have called it that he would be the next Prime.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Libras Maximus

Libras Maximus New Member

In case you guys forgot, inthe transformers prime storyline, optimus prime was orion pax before he received the prime matrix. Who knows what smokescreen will be called then.

4. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed. If he becomes a Prime, his name will either stay the same like Alpha Trion's did or it'll change like Opitmus Prime's did. I think Rodimus would be a nice touch, especially given his portrayal this time around. I like Hot Rod and I like Smokescreen, so for me this is a win win situation.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JohnStartop

JohnStartop There can only be one.

Real sorry about these guys here giving cold answers just because of their own personal bias.

Hot Rod in G1 was reckless, impulsive, and young; an everyday character. You see a change in him after Prime's death: patience, reasoning, hope, will, respect for tradition, etc. In essence, the point was that because Prime died, someone who otherwise wouldn't have been worthy of the Matrix was forced to grow.

Smokescreen (Prime) is nearly identical in personality, but finds a way to save Prime instead of accepting his appointment as the new leader. The implication here is that he may have gone through the same trials and tribulations as Rodimus, but subverts our expectations by not being overcome with vanity. Not to say Rodimus was vain; if he had the option to save Prime, he would have too. They are the same character.

I know that most fans would argue that Smokescreen is meant to be the same character as his G1 counterpart given his name and appearance, but G1 Smokescreen really doesn't have a discernible personality. They took the name and appearance of a lesser-known character to imply that anyone can have the qualities to become a Prime or to save one. Basically, he fills the role of Hot Rod's character in almost every way, so he is that character.

If they were to name Smokescreen "Hot Rod" in Prime, they would have caused a lot of anger. If Hot Rod accepted the Matrix, it would anger haters of the G1 film. If Hot Rod didn't accept the Matrix, it would anger fans of the G1 film. It's smart of them to name him after an unknown because then nobody gets too upset, though I would have liked some reference to Hot Rod. There are some continuities where Rodimus is a sub-commander of a separate squad than the main team, which would have been cool.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

It's a different continuity. That's simply their Smokescreen.

Just like NuRID Bee is Hot Rod in many aspects, but that's their Bee.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JomasterII

JomasterII Nobody interesting

News Credits:

8. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Neoseed

News Credits:
    Not really, he still looks a like Smokescreen even if his personality is more akin to Hot Rod, it wouldn't be the first time Prime did something like that.

[​IMG]

But this does raise an interesting point, at least to me, retroactively should they have made the character Hot Rod? I think there's a good argument that could be made for it, and it probably would have made the moment where he declines the Matrix even more interesting because it would have denoted character development for him as well as being a proper subversion of expectations. On the one hand, as others in this thread have already said you can simply say "This is just this universes Smokescreen", which is a good enough answer I suppose.

But on the other hand, if you have a character that perfectly fits the role without needing to be changed, why make it more needlessly convoluted? Using Smokescreen as an example, he already had a personality but it seems they wanted a Hot Rod-like character but rather than just use Hot Rod they just made... a Smokescreen who doesn't really act like his namesake, but acts like another character. It just seems like it's making things needlessly convoluted and confusing to newcomers and future content creators. It can also be problematic if this leads to characters with already existing personalities being 'overwritten' with different personalities.. that already exist in other characters. With Transformers I personally think you have a large enough catalog of characters to choose from that cover the spectrum of different personalities, motives and so forth, and plenty who haven't been fully fleshed out and could be expanded upon in different and unique ways. Chances are if you have a certain personality in mind that you want to see in a character? There may already be a character that exists in some canon that fits the bill. This doesn't mean you can't make new characters, but if you create a 'new' character that simply exists to fulfill a purpose that another character usually filled, or has a very similar personality to another already existing character, is that really something new? You aren't doing anything ground breaking or creative by simply taking an existing archetype or personality and slapping a different colored label on it, it's still the same as an already existing character just with a different name and appearance. And no making a few minor alterations doesn't make it any less unoriginal.

Before anyone gets up in arms over what I've said this is simply my two cents, as I stated before the "this is just this universes x" is a good enough answer, I just personally think it's kind of lazy.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Yeah, it's lazy. It's just me learning to not expect too much from the Aligned shows. They did the same thing twice... Makes me think that they didn't even know about Hot Rod being more fit for the role in both shows.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

I don't see why not. Prime Smokescreen fulfills pretty much the same role as G1 Hot Rod. To be fair though, TF: Prime is the one version of Smokescreen I care even remotely about, so that would be lost.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AirjitzuRonin

AirjitzuRonin Member of the Bee Team

I really don't understand why characters with similar personalities should have the same names as those in previous continuities. It practically defeats the purpose of other continuities in the first place. But this is a problem with TF's fanbase in general and it'll never go away so why bother.

Just leave him his name! Its not like only guys named Hot Rod can strive to achieve a great destiny and guys named Smokescreen are limited to being cunning and tricky in a friendly sense. Its just a name after all.

But then again what do I know til a "true" fan corrects me?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Digilaut

Digilaut I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!

News Credits:
    Yup, should totally have been Hot Rod in my opinion. Everything about him, from his design to his character, screams Hot Rod, and I still don't get why they went with Smokescreen. I thought/hoped it was all so they could use him as a 'fresh' take that they could take into new and exciting routes, but they didn't, really. Made him just as generic and predictable as all the other bots in this show. :-/

13. Soundwaver

Soundwaver Well-Known Member

I like to think that he was Hot Rod, but gave himself a new name and paint job.

14. SaberPrime

SaberPrime The first Decepticon the Fallen Megatronus Prime

I don't really care what they call him but his origin or his attitude should be changed because they don't match.

Smokescreen was said to be part of the Elite Guard which should mean that he's highly trained and wouldn't make all the stupid rookie mistakes he made during the series. I know they said he technically never graduated but he did complete the training, they just never did a ceremony for him.

Smokescreen comes off as a stupid rookie, like he's even younger than Bumblebee who's suppose to be the immature kid friendly character but Smokescreen comes off as that instead. Actually there's very little difference between Smokescreen and Sideswipe in RID2. Considering Sideswipe is just a punk kid and Smokescreen is suppose to be a highly trained soldier, why do they have the exact same level of skill and maturity? It make no gawd damn sense.

Smokescreen is like a walking talking plot hole who I prefer to forget was ever in the cartoon at all. He didn't really add anything of value to the story beyond being there to help Optimus at the start of Beast Hunters and anyone could of been placed in that position so there was no reason to introduce him. He even doubled up as a companion for Jack which was unnessisary as he still had Arcee. He's a stupid useless character.

15. Convoy

Convoy Pipetimus Prime

To be fair he was clearly written to do bigger and better things. For me, Season 3 starts with one of the biggest anticlimax in TF history and imo the show really goes down hill from there. I would have loved to Smokimus Prime or whatever learn to lead the Autobots against the predacon threat.

For the question in the title, I think for sure he's got the Hot Rod perosnality but I agree with previous posts that it was cool to have a no-name bot rise to greatness. You know, before Hasbro remembered OP and Bee toys probably sell the most

PS. I'm just rewatching Prime now. Its so good, but at the same time kinda questionable. Mainly how they massacre cons on the daily and don't bat an eyelid but treat BotKillers like murderers

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Like Armada Hotshit he's def Hotrod inspired. Glad they did'nt straight up copy it.

If they did that every time then it would be another predictable Hotrod origin story.

Smokescreen was cool. Still wanting a better deluxe of him. Then a repaint of him as Hotrod. :lol 

17. siegfried07

siegfried07 Well-Known Member

but rody is busy helping galaxy convoy
    SAM_0484.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  18. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Insert ice pun.

In transformers prime, I think it should of been better if instead of smokescreen, hot rod took that place. He was on cybertron until season 2, optimus asked him to be leader, and no one really knew him. But they did give smokescreen some attention.

19. Fallout

Fallout ꧁꧂

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    i think about these posts way more than i should, but damn, it's just... it makes so much sense.

20. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

Well actually, I think of RID Bumblebee as being their version of Rodimus Prime. I mean, yes, Rodimus and Hot Rod were basically the same character, but still.