Should reproduction be expanded upon?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Rexidus, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In another thread the concept of Cybertronian reproduction was brought up and I was curious of others opinions on the matter.

Let's get one thing strait right off the bat. I'm not talking about sexual reproduction. Do not assume that and go off on a tangent.

Personally, I dislike the mentality that Cybertronians are "just robots". That makes bland and dull. To me thinking of them as a species with biology makes them much more interesting. And if they are a species they and all life on their planet (something else that should be expanded upon) needs a way to reproduce.

The well of all sparks doesn't work for me because that makes it a single location where life is born. What would have happened if that area was destroyed in an earthquake? Also where does the actual body that the spark produced by the well inhabits come from? The well of all sparks works a little better if there are thousands or more of them throughout the planet, but I still dislike the concept.

If I were able to introduce a concept into the fiction I would do the following. I would allow all cybertronian life to be able to produce sparks. The most common way would to briefly mingle sparks, but I would also include random spark mitosis. There would be an incubation period while the "mother" has time to build a body or find a protoform for the new spark. I would not require gender to mandatory for this form of reproduction. So Rewind and Chromedome could produce a new spark if they wished. This idea allows life to grow for Cybertron naturally in a believeable manner to me.

I would not have the new bot be a child, nor would they think of their parent in a familiar way. I would have the relationship be similar to G1 Optimus and the Arialbots, who never considered Optimus their father. Obviously this isn't the only relationship, just the norm.

And now to see what fresh hell I've produced...

2. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No.

It shouldn't.

I like world building, I like the more alien and less robot take on Cybertronain life, but this is the kind of part of the world that we should allow to crumble to dust and never be seen in public. Ever.

And yes, it is because of the fandom, it is ALWAYS because of the fandom.

3. Spin-Out

Spin-Out "It's just... Asinine."

Well, to be honest, I like the explanation that Proto-Matter is mined from the Sonic Canyons, injected into Protoform Molds, and given life by either the AllSpark, Vector Sigma, or whatever MacGuffin is lying around.

4. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    Reproduction? No!

Manufacture? Sure!

Transformers aren't born, they're MADE.

5. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Well-Known Member

Well at least it is a fresh hell. and one that brings up some old ideas of mine.

First, I find that there is a split between the whole 'species/robot' debate. I believe that they are both. Yes, they feel anger sorrow, pain, pleasure and humor. They are clearly sapient. However, I don't like the idea that they just happen to be made out of metal. They aren't organic. So, basically I believe they are a species of robots and all aspects of their culture should focus on that contrast.

Now, comes my idea for reproduction. And I agree with you; the Well of Allsparks was always a bad explanation. I think that the primary part is a mitotic split of the spark. I don't see any reason for any 'spark melding' in my idea of the process because I doubt it would affect either the mind or the body of the new bot. Anyways, bodies are created in two ways. One, a blank slate 'protoform' is created by the 'parent' (maybe literally built or maybe somehow the 'biomechanical' process of the hosts body grows and splits off like sort of like true mitosis or budding) and the new spark is placed inside. The protoform slowly grows from generic into being more defined until it is a unique body shape in its own right. The other method is sort of like their version of cloning organs for surgery. A protoform without a spark is molded into a preset configuration and 'set on ice' until a spark is place inside the already fully developed body. This method is primarily used in creating bots with a preset purpose such as fighting or doing a 'spark transfer' for very damaged bots (their programming is placed into the protoform to effectively clone their form). Either way, the only trait truly passed from 'parent' to child is size; giants make giants, cars make cars, and minicons make minicons and the ability to fly.

As for development, I believe that as you said, they don't really have any idea of 'parents'. Instead, I think there would be a 'batch brothers' mentality; protoforms are created en masse and anyone in your 'batch' is your peer while those before you are your seniors and so on and so forth. And now for a hodge podge. I do think that there should be a lot more different 'animals' shown. I considered the 'spark merge' concept, but decided it had no effect on reproduction and would instead be more of 'empathy' passing on memories, emotions, and ideas.

Yeah; I'm a little obsessed with Cybertronian living.:) 

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Nah, keep it more or less undefined. Gives the robots a bit of a mystique.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I like the basics we have now. Where do TFs come from? Well, they come from protoforms. Where do they come from? Well you build it and put a spark in it. How do you build it and where do sparks come from? Better if you don't know.

8. RatTrap1985

RatTrap1985 Under your rolls of fat

Good question. I don't think we need specifics, but the bits and pieces we've gleamed from shows and comics have made for interesting story telling.

9. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hope this tuns out better than mine.

10. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

primus is cybertron and
    he created prima and 13 tfs born out of the cybertron

11. BooyakaDragon

BooyakaDragon I Don't Even Know

News Credits:
    *ahem* When a mommy Transformer and a daddy Transformer come together............they build a son/daughter.......like in the movie "Robots".

12. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Something thats bugged me for a while, the Matrix/Creation Matrix is the only thing that can imbue robotic bodies with life right? Then surely the Autobots should have won the war millions of years ago simply based upon a war of attrition.

The fact is the Matrix was a good plot point back in the 80's, but for an ongoing fictional universe the fact that the Transformers cannot reproduce (jesus goddamn christ I said reproduce not manufacture, same difference get over it already) is a massive crutch, never mind the emotional stunting thats going on with character development.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Agreed.

14. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's formed from the substance of the planet itself. That's the whole point of the idea. The Exodus novel expanded on it a bit by explaining that the Well of All Sparks is where the AllSpark is kept, and it's from it that Transformers are created - it calls Transformers into being from the planetary matter. If it was destroyed in an earthquake? Then the same thing that has repeatedly happened in other fiction when the AllSpark is destroyed happens - no more Transformers for a while before someone twigs onto the fact that the AllSpark's power is inextinguishable and is out there waiting for a new vessel through which it can carry on its work.

15. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I agree about viewing Cybertronians as not just being robots but also being biologcal organisms because it makes sense about them being alien like. Simply making them as pure robots is pretty dull and boring not to mention almost ruins the point about them actually being aliens as well as robots. If thier origin's worked out like the Sunbow cartoon where they're actually built then I can accept that.

And that idea's good too. There's more then one way to properly do reproduction in the franchise.

16. Avengers

Avengers Banned

I prefer to think as the Transformers extremely similar to the Takara Brave robots. where the energy spark soul is the main thing that inhabits a metal body. if the energy spark is removed from the metal body,the metal body becomes a empty shell. certain parts of the metal body acts as life support systems to keep the energy spark alive.

In my idea fiction. Transformers get made on assembly plants factories.

Beastwars & Beastmachines is still 500 years away from our present time. so any sexual relationships or reproduction evolved methods & behavior don't exist yet as their still 500 years away in the future.

because both BW & BM was a cartoon aimed a kids it was allowed & forbiden to explain the extent of sexual relationships & if a male & female BW or BM couple could have a baby like earth living being do.

If a male & female transformer want a baby. Then I'd prefer they both,got a spark from the allspark chamber, donated some of their parts & built one from scratch. then as the kid kept getting older,they would upgrade & rebuild his body. I got this idea from that season 2 1985 Episode. Where elita one got damaged & alpha trion asked optimus to giver elita some of his parts. because alpha trion rebuilt optimus & elita-1 with similar parts

17. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

This. I'm all for reproduction being addressed if it gets rid of gender and reproduction as a "biological" process for TFs.

18. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Well, Transformers are built.

19. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    in G1 comics, only optimus could bring new transformers to life via the creation matrix. the new transformers had to be built and could be controlled via a remote but as for a 'spark' that only came from the creation matrix which only optimus had and could transfer to other being since he passed it to buster witwickey.

in G1 cartoons it was hazey of coarse. first they just built a new transformer no questions asked. then they needed the vector sigma super computer.

i dont know too much about the well of all sparks or even the all spark.

somewhere along the G1/G2 line there was something called "Budding". in which a transformer would have a part of it break off and become a new transformer.
    somewhere i read that this was how all transformers reproduced until a certain number of cybertronians was reached after that the 'ability' stopped and disappeared. i think it was jhiaxus that recreated or re-awaked this feature in his quest to evolve the race. (i think?)

in BW, protoforms were in pods, and they never explained how the spark was injected into the protoform or even how it was made. the concept of being able to manipulate a spark, Protoform X, was also suggested that there is some level of control.

so take your pci becuase any or all could be right.

20. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

I like the G1 cartoon origin where Transformer bodies were mass produced (seekers, Prowl etc.) in a factory and then given life by Vector Sigma. The idea of some parts being "biological and irreplaceable" like a Transformation cog, is the stupidest idea I have ever heard. If a part breaks, it gets replaced because they are mechanical, not organic. The Transformers are robots. Period. And they should be treated as such. Vector Sigma was heavily guarded and it's access was limited to certain Transformers because it was the only known way create life. If it got destroyed, then that was it, no more new Transformers.