Customs: Should professional customizers be allowed to enter the contests?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by encline, Jun 8, 2010.

?

should profession customizers be allowed to enter custom contests?

Poll closed Jul 18, 2010.
  1. yes that is totally okay

38 vote(s)
    73.1%
  2. no, they have an advantage

6 vote(s)
    11.5%
  3. yes, but anonymously

8 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This has been something I have been wonder all year....

How do YOU feel about professional customizers(any who sell there work) entering into BOTCON's or TFCON's customs contests?

yes they should be allowed

no they shouldn't

yes, but under a different name.

so what do you think?

2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Interesting topic, David! I'd say it should be fair game for EVERYONE to enter and have fun with. In the end, the name should NEVER sell the work of art, the artwork should speak for itself and gauge interest. I've seen some insanely beautiful customs here that aren't done by "professionals" and if they were entered into a contest, they'd have a damn good chance of winning. I've never sold any of my work, but I may someday soon. Even if I did, I honestly would never label myself professional, but I'd still hope to enter contests and just have fun with the hobby as a whole.

Now if you're asking whether you should be entering your Prime, YES you should. lol

So far, I honestly have no favorites since I've noticed quite a few of you dudes are doing something for the contest. I'm just kicking back to enjoy the show once we get the details from it. Good luck with your entry (and good luck to everyone else entering the Botcon contest).

3. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Yes they should. I don't see any difference betweem the so called "professionals" and others, other than taking money for their work.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Many of the artists who have entered these contests in the past and continue to enter them create custom Transformers on a commission basis. TFMaster, Lobo, and others who have either won or placed in the contests previously have taken on commissions at some point. Nothing has changed there, and I don't expect that it will, nor that it should. Actually . . . .

I think Murasame is right on the money here, no pun intended. I think over the last few years since the live action movie, way too much has been made on the emphasis of "professional customs". Like I said, in our fandom, it's nothing new. The emphasis itself is what is "new". See previous statements on my thoughts there.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  5. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Don't really care. If you can make a custom, do it. :) 

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

It would've been interesting to see someone like frenzy_rumble or yourself enter the S70 Gobot contest a few weeks back. I say this despite wanting Gobot customs to remain somewhat of a niche in the fan community. I think I'd throw up if I saw 15 Leader-1's on the Radicon front page, lol.

I think keeping the entries anonymous works best. I do think that the name of the artist has an impact of how many views, replies, bids, and votes a custom gets. It doesn't matter what anyone says...name association plays a big part in a custom's publicity. Is it the main driving force? Probably not. But it does have somewhat of a significant influence.

However, the problem with this method is that so many of the artists in Radicons, S70, and Procustomizers have such an obvious art style and presentation, that they'd be easy to pick out.

7. Treadshot A1

Satomi's got a point. Anonymity's a moot point when so many people have their own techniques and styles that are impossible to miss.

8. encline

News Credits:
    fyi, I am not going to any of the cons or entering my prime...nor did I want to bring any bad intentions, I was just curious how others felt about the idea....

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I know you didn't have bad intentions when starting this thread.

10. Treadshot A1

Since you therefore would be an Autobot, we assume you have the best intentions... :) 

Hmm, if you're talking the prime in your sig, then enter it. You should. Nao. :lol 

11. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I don't see a problem with it. You get paid by fans for custom projects, it's not like Hasbro is paying you as a prototype sculpter or a painter for promo pieces.

12. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Its not like its a Hastak designer entering the contests... until that happens its fair game.

13. simplygriff

simplygriff µ - Elitist Dick

News Credits:
    I think it's fair game. A "professional" puts in as much or more thought and effort into a commissioned piece as an "amateur" does for their personal collection. If the figure is badass, then the figure is badass. Whoever made it.

I do think custom contests should be anonymous in judging though. (is BotCon's not?) Personal style comes out in the work but some of the big name guys can draw a crowd on name recognition alone.
    -G

14. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Depends how you define a "pro" customizer as there seems to be some debate what constitutes someone as such.

15. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    I have no issues with "pros" entering contests at all.
    I don't see any reason for them to be held back from competing.

No if people started going "How the hell did (insert name) not win" or
    "Those customs were S#!T compared to (insert name)'s"
    I could understand people being soured on the idea.

16. encline

News Credits:
    Well....I love to surf....I could just as good as the next guy, but until I get paid, could I be called a "pro" surfer?

I am just talking about guys who get some bling for their art work...therefore, allotting more time dedicated to customs, as opposed to someone who can build one custom in his spare time two or three times a year.....

so basically, any of those names over in the creative market place..I guess..

Just my thoughts....

17. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    To be the best you have to beat the best Whoooooooooooooooooooooo!

If you're not going against tough competition then you can never grow.

18. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I assume that if there were an exclusion of “pros” it’ll be because their experience & skills are assumed to be beyond those who are not considered “pros” and therefore be unfair to compete with “amateurs”. I don’t see any other reason to exclude pros except for that reason. If there are other reasons then I’d like to hear it. With that said, excluding pros for the reason of different level of skills would mean you would have to start having different categories for “amateurs” too because even amongst “amateurs” the skill level varies greatly. In a nutshell, I don’t think “pros” should be excluded based on skill level because then you have to further differentiate “amateurs” based on skill level too.

19. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Just because you get paid does not mean your "pro" anything, I could draw a badly drawn stick figure and sell it for a nickel, does that mean I'm a professional artist?

20. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    How did I know this argument would start?
    Regardless of the whole "pro" title, it is out there.
    I personally may no like it, but it's something I've learned to accept.
    I don't understand why we need to go through this everytime.