Should overweight passengers pay extra for airline tickets?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Waverider, Dec 11, 2009.

?

Should overweight passengers pay extra for airline tickets?

1. yes

124 vote(s)
    70.1%
  2. no

53 vote(s)
    29.9%
  1. bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All of your research is good, but it does not take into account one thing. People that are PERMANENTLY disabled or those unable to take steps to remedy their condition deserve some level of accomodation. People who are temporarily disabled because of their obesity can get off their butts and do something about it. That is why many people have no sympathy for the larger sized folks.

As this relates to airlines, everyone should pay by weight for every ounce they bring on the plane, disabled or not.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  2. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

nope, nothing can defend that. a few extra feet of walking isnt bad for them.

i once was compared to this real fat guy in a supermarket. we both had canes but i gave mine to my dad that moment because i didnt want to be mocked for the wrong reason. though it was foolish medically because i was still recovering from a car collision.

3. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I was merely speculating as to what may happened if a change was made. I thought that is was implied as this is a forum where different ideas are tossed around. And furthermore I actually gave legitimate reasoning to why they would have to charge a minimum fare. Apparently you don't agree, but may I add that as no commercial airlines change a fee based on the size of the passenger your idea is really really good one. Expect a call from British Airlines...

Where is your data to support that 'most' people would be fine with the cheap jeans? Also Sears is hardly the only clothes store in Canada. I am sure that if you went to a real big and tall store you would find a selection of budget and higher end cloths. That being said, when you get to a certain size jeans are probably out of the question...

No I was just hoping for a more thought out response one that wasn't quite so simplistic. I suppose your take on homeless issue is that these people are dumb and lazy? Sorry if it is not, It just seems like the most simple answer.

What are you taking about? You wanted proof to back up my claim. I suggested that proof is not required as common sense would say that people can be the cause of there own disability, much like being obese. This is like me telling you, "Sledge, the sky is blue" and you asking for proof.

Where did I say "Most people injured in car crashes are the responsible party? Really? REALLY?" Where? WHERE? How hard of a god damn leap is it to make that some people are the cause of their own accidents.

You want proof that they lost the use of their legs? From the same study:

Help me out with some math. Out of 36000 people, 50% are paraplegic and 50% are Quadriplegic. What is that number together?

Something tells me you are still not happy...

4. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    This thread thread has become kinda like watching a one legged man in an ass-kicking contest.

5. MetalRyde

You got that right, JR.

6. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Hop, hop, hop....

Seriously though, no better way to kill a day than play devils advocate with Sledge.

7. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wasn't the topic airline tickets? What the hell, guys? Anyway, if they take up more than one seat, then hell yes they should pay for more than one ticket.

8. G1Optimal

G1Optimal Autobot

News Credits:
    IMO Yes...

As long , as it includes slightly increased benefits ( luggage etc)
    and full benefits of the extra seat , if you are paying a full price for a another ticket.

9. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree, if one seat gets you 2 luggages, then the large guy with 2 seats should be able to bring 4 luggages. Or get a discount on the 2 seats if he only brings 2 luggages.

10. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

I'm a fat guy. About 250lbs give or take depending on the time of year. At 6'2" tall that's what most people would call being a bit pudgy. I say I'm a fat guy and live with it. A doctor would probably call me obese but a doctor thinks people should weigh 170lbs. Of the people I know ONE weighs that much and I can see his bones.

Then again those numbers are based on the outdated idea that the average person is 5'10". Yes I could weigh less if I wanted to put the time and effort into it and give up things I enjoy. Currently unwilling to, but currently my gut is no major disadvantage. I fit in one seat and move around and do my job just fine (aside from the "Fatty grunt" when I bend over).

I often see people who are disgustingly overweight riding in electric carts, because they've gotten so heavy they can't walk, and they ride it straight to where I work and buy large amounts of dangerously unhealthy food. Seeing that there's a clear distinction between being a fat guy and being morbidly obese. If you don't live in the deep south, maybe you don't see them as often. I can't really say on that point, I don't know how widespread this problem is.

I can see how easy it would be for normal fat guys like me to take offense at the idea of charging morbidly obese people for two seats, and even the fear of being lumped in with people who are clearly destroying themselves, just for being a bit heavier than normal. When you put one next to the other the distinction becomes pretty clear.

That out of the way, I think good old capitalism is the best answer. Let the airlines decide individually. If airline A charges extra, and airline B does not then people can choose which is best with their money. Eventually when obese people go to airline B, then airline A will lose their business, but may succeed by reducing the number of obese people it has to accommodate. Airline B will get more passengers but will have to foot the extra cost they bring with them. Whomever makes it work out, succeeds. It's entirely possible both can balance the books, and simply cater to different clientele.

It takes time but that sort of thing eventually works its self out. Unless you set some kind of industry standard, or enact some kind of law thus everyone charges extra or everyone does not, then you're essentially price fixing either way and destroy competition preventing any resolution from coming of it.

11. MC Rap Throne

MC Rap Throne unknown member

News Credits:
    So sick sumo wrestlers will have to pay x6 for ethnic biohazard overweight?

12. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Should I withdraw because I'm taking advantage of the one-legged man, or because I am the one-legged man? :D 

Wait. Do people with one leg get cheaper jeans?

13. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I think we should both withdraw and re-convene in general discussion another time...you know, with another pointless argument. :) 

14. VBBN

VBBN The Awakened

News Credits:
    Well, yes and know. The only reason I say no, is if you are so large you can't fit in a normal airline seat, something is wrong with you and you should see a doctor... :/

15. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Leader Blackout LIVES!!!

News Credits:
    I blame fast food. Without them having food available for purchase and basically shoving it down America's throat, we wouldn't have so many fatties in our society.

I think I will sue on behalf of all the fatties.

16. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Leader Blackout LIVES!!!

News Credits:
    This is the most logical and factual statement in this thread. I was just about to compare it to people who eat more. Win.

And this guy should definitely pay more:
    [​IMG]

17. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I disagree.

:tongue: 

18. MetalRyde

It's Mojo!

19. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    You singled this guy out cause he's a Gators fan.

20. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Fan? He's their long snapper!