Should overweight passengers pay extra for airline tickets?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Waverider, Dec 11, 2009.

?

Should overweight passengers pay extra for airline tickets?

1. yes

124 vote(s)
    70.1%
  2. no

53 vote(s)
    29.9%
  1. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here is a few interesting articles on this topic based on a photo that was published a upset passenger. So far the majority of this one survey say yes. There is some people saying that larger passengers should have a section that can accommodate larger peoples size.

I do a lot of traveling and there is a couple of times that I was next to a large person and that person had to lift the armrest to fit in and taking my own space. For a 2 1/2 hour flight it was really annoying.

Here is a article on this:

Should Overweight Fliers Pay More?

And here is a poll with peoples comments:

Should overweight passengers pay extra for airline tickets? | Gadling.com

2. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Depends on how big they are. Sometimes there is no way they can fit in one seat.

3. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If their bulk fills more than one seat and does not allow another passenger to sit, then yes.
    I am a workout and health nut...so I get kind of irritated with large people being considered "disabled"

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I think the best solution to this problem is have a special section on the plane in coach class, with special larger seats top accommodate the larger passengers, let them have first dibs on them as they really have the need for them but if they aren't taken on a given flight put it up for grabs, price them at 1 1/2 times the going rate for a normal seat and its problem solved everyone is comfortable and safe

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  5. Waverider

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You know there will be people crying discrimination because they have to pay more and they will be sitting in whats most likely will be dubbed the fat section.

6. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    they do it now when they have to buy 2 seats so i say deal with it , my weight isn't ideal but im not as overweight as the guy in that photo either but id rather be comfortable and know im not making other's uncomfortable even if had to pay a bit more, something is gonna have to be done sooner or later even if the airlines are forced into by legal action

7. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

No federal laws against weight discrimination exist, furthermore, these people can take action to reduce their weight, provided they don't have some sort of physical disability.

8. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have wide shoulders, so because the person next to me is a little uncomfortable because of how GOD MADE ME should I have to pay extra? It's my bones, and my body frame.

9. Waverider

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well it's a good thing that you have consideration for other people. But unfortunately, other people do not. Plus I noticed that a lot of people that cries discrimination, they themselves do not apply to the issue. They just assume that the people targeted will be offended.

You're right, there is no law. I heard one time that 5% of obesity is due to health issues. I think that if proven, the airline will take thing into consideration.

I deal with people with wide shoulders all the time. My best friend is a bodybuilder and he's very wide with all that musckes. Things can be compensated with him when I sit next to him on a flight. What the issue is when you sit down, does your butt takes more of the assigned space or do you obstruct passage for others.

10. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy The. Balls. Will. Touch.<br><b><font color=blue>Bi

News Credits:
    I am both overweight and have wide shoulders. I've never paid for two seats since I can fit into one, and will never pay for two seats, simply because I won't allow myself to get THAT big.

I do find threads like these slightly offensive though. Won't say more than that 'cus last time I did I got an infraction for defending myself, but you skinny people can rack down on obesity all you want without fearing moderator action. Fair? Not really.

11. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Yes.

Lay off the damn curly fries you fat bastards!

12. Waverider

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The thing is that people can talk about the subject matter as long as people keep things civil. Like other subjects out there, there are things that people will always disagree. Just don't make personal attacks to a person or group. There are reasons why people get infractions.

I myself that was once fit the shot up to 250+ lbs for about 2 years, then got back to being fit again. I can understand both sides of the subject matter.

13. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    At check-in counters and gates, they have frames that you can use to check and make sure your carry-on bag isn't too big to take on the plane. Something similar could be done in this case, with sample airline seats at the check-in counter. As part of the check-in process, you sit down in the "test chair"; if your butt can't fit properly in the test chair, you have to buy an extra seat or you don't fly. "Fit properly" is a little vague, so, for the sake of argument, if you're unable to sit in the chair with the armrests down, that means you can't fit in the chair.

Not a good analogy. As you stated, there's nothing you can do about your bone structure and the size of your shoulders. However, the vast majority of overweight people can do something about the amount of space they're taking up: They can make the choice to lose some weight (with exceptions for certain genetic diseases where weight loss is impossible). You're not personally responsible for the size of your shoulders, but most overweight people are personally responsible for being overweight by making the personal choice to over-eat and/or under-exercise (again, with some exceptions, of course).

14. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I went from being over weight to a health nut in my early 20s and honestly I do think over weight people should pay more, I pay more for my extra case or what ever, everything with air travel is based on weight really so people paying for there extra weight seems quite logical to me.

15. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    All I'm saying is that I don't exactly eat right, I enjoy things with fats and sugars in moderation. I go around 250-260. I don't work out, but I do walk mostly everywhere in my small town. Anyways, I flew to Florida this year, and I was comfortable in my plane seat. It takes effort to get large enough to not fit into a plane seat or even a roller coaster seat.

16. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    The general rules for the airlines (at least in the US) is that you have to pay for the extra seat (at the discretion of customer service representatives and flight attendants) if you can't buckle the seat beat with one extender. If you can't buckle your seat belt with an extender, it only makes sense that you probably need a second seat.

As for adding an obese secton as the article suggests, it's potentially feasible. Airlines like United have "Economy Plus", which offers about a half-foot more of leg room. It reduced capacity, but made up for the lost revenue by charging $10-$20 a seat for the upgrade.

Heavily obese people like the one pictured above will always be a problem, just because it's not feasible for airlines to make seats that size. For the slightly obese, I think things will be better as the new age aircrafts (Boeing 787, Airbus A350 & A380) get out there. Airlines and airline manufacturers are finally figuring out it's more about the customer experiience than just herding customers to a destination.

17. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

Since the cost of fuel to the airlines is directly proportional to the amount of fuel they burn which is then directly proportional to the weight they carry on board, I think each passenger should pay proportional to their TOTAL weight, plus baggage.

You get on a scale and you put your bags on a scale. You pay according to the total weight.

That seems fairest in my mind, but of course fat people will complain.

18. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

But then if the Airlines don't get enough of these extremely overweight people to fill these seats, they're losing money. Your idea is still just like them buying two seats, it just saves them a little bit of money while preventing the Airlines from being able to use those spaces to sell to smaller passengers.

Then you wouldn't be affected by this issue. You only take up one seat, because neither of you seem to be large enough to fill two. The problem isn't people who are pushing 250-270 etc, it's people 360-400+ who can not physically fit in a single chair. There's a difference from "overweight" and "morbidly obese". You can be overweight and still be healthy and fit and be comfortable in a single airline seat. But being morbidly obese is just unhealthy in every way and, outside of some very rare occurrences, is something that person should try their damnedest to change if they expect to live a full and healthy life.

It's not discrimination or being prejudice to make someone who takes up two seats to pay for two seats, the vast majority of the time it's their own fault. It's something they themselves can and should change, for their own health. The human body is not meant to carry that much weight and it starts to break down over time if it's forced to do so. It is much different from just being overweight or "fat", being morbidly obese to the point where you take up two seats on an airplane is not healthy for anyone.

19. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    That's not overweight anymore. The man at the right is overweight. The giant man at the seat is FAT. He is twice than one overweight man. That is far from being normal anymore...

I have only seen 2 times in my life such a fat person. Maybe in the US such people are considered "overweight", but that is an euphemism.

For safety reasons he should have 2 seats where he can sit well and is able to fasten his seatbelts.

But people shouldn't get that fat, because most air planes and everything else are not manufactured to cope with such a massive person. So it is not safe for him there anyway.

Some people have a genetic defect that makes them fat and they cannot do anything. But that is only a tiny percentage of all the fat people claiming to have that genetic defect.

20. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    I have absolutely no problem with making EVERYONE pay by the pound. If you weigh 72 pounds you'll get a much cheaper trip than I would...I tip the scales at 260. I'm FAT, and I am going to use more fuel that Nicole Richie.