Should non G1 characters make an appearance?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Soundatron, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

We've already brought back no-name forgotten G1 names like Barricade, Blackout etc. And alot of G1 fans who aren't that die hard never heard their names before, I sure didn't. So could we do the same with other chars. that not everyone was raised on? Could we get Beast Wars, Armada, Cybertron and more?

It would be cool to have Dinobot, great character but the design would prolly never fly. Hot Shot would def. grab some fans' and kids' attention.

2. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sure, why not? There's more to TF than just the G1-verse.

3. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

the movieverse is its own entity it can have any name for any charector it wants. the names are just the names.

4. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

Should non G1 characters appear in the movies?

Yes of course, I still can't believe so many people only want everything G1, with only G1 characters (and then claim not to be G1 purists). For a franchise that has lasted so long, it's incredible how few people can look past 1984-1987.

More non-G1 stuff please, the movie is a new universe, we don't always need to use G1 as a precedence for everything the franchise does.

5. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Characters that aren't from the G1 universe.....
    Of course I love G1 but I want to expand with character's such as tidalwave,Cheetor,warspintor

6. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:

I second this. :) 

7. HyperGeek_1984

HyperGeek_1984 Herr Doktor

Sideways would be a cool character if he was written well and given a good role.

8. Bat Bot

Bat Bot Member

Barricade, Blackout and to an extent Scorpinok (If you missed the 3 Headmaster episodes in the day this guy is unknown to you) are examples of non G1 characters that were well received.
    Having said this however your G1 characters are where your largest audience will have the greatest connection. I think that they should follow a similar formula with who they introduce for the subsequent films.

9. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Yea, sure I don't care about that. But what other names could be used that haven't been in G1? I mean other then Beast Wars names, but most of the them are animal related. You might find out that non g1 names might be harder to find then you realize.

10. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

There are actually quite a bit when you think about it. Undermine could be some construction vehicle mining machine, Overhaul could be an off-road Hound type character, Armorhide could return as a tow truck, Dirt Boss as a giant monster truck, Snow Cat as a snowmobile, and my all-time favourite Shortround would be great in the live action films as a hovercraft.

There is so much more to this franchise than G1, and so many fans fail to realise that. It doesn't help that everywhere you turn it's G1 this and G1 that (homages in Armada/Energon/Cybertron, Alternators, Classics, Titaniums, Reissues, comic series after comic series, Revoltech, busts and PVCs, Kiss Players, Robot Heroes etc.), after awhile fans get so much G1 crammed down their throats that they forget about every other series in the franchise's long, rich history.

11. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    No, it's incredible how many people assume that TF fans need to like everything related to the franchise and use the term "G1 purists" like it's an insult. Reality check: not all of us liked Beast Wars, Energon, Armada, Cybertron, etc. Just because they have the TF stamp on them, it doesn't mean they had the same appeal to many of us that G1 did. If that makes some of us "G1 purists", more by default than elitist choice btw, so be it.

Fact is that G1 is where this ALL started, so it can't be too surprising that most older fans have loyalties & preference to that particular era of Transformers. It might get annoying, sure, but it's not as if it's without merit. There's a reason why Masterpieces, Alternators, Classics and even stuff like the Palisades statues, the Prime & Megs Revoltech figures AND the movie characters are either based on or designed like G1, not to mention why Commemorative, Anniversary, Encore and even KO editions of those toys keep getting released. If any of the other canons had even remotely the same impact overall, I'd understand people saying enough with G1. But they didn't, and that's why G1 seemingly gets recycled & beaten to death according to some of the other TF era fans. And for as much as us so-called "G1 purists" appear not to move on, we're no more to blame than the companies who keep manufacturing & releasing this stuff.

Bottom line is that we're all fans of the same franchise, so it doesn't do anyone any favors to split hairs of which fanbase era is better or worse than the other.

12. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

But don't forget, G1 started it all. If it wasn't for G1, Beast Wars, Armada, the live action movie or any of the other spin offs would never have existed if it wasn't for G1. Let's face it, know your roots.
    I mean if you're not a fan of G1 that's fine. In my opinion A,E,C sucked! It was such a lousy series. It was a good idea, but the production values were sloppy.
    I grew up on G1, and to me G1 was a great series. So was Beast Wars. But all I'm saying, know where your fandom came from.
    I think why some of these kids don't like G1 is because they're just too young, and it was before their time. I mean let's face it, some of these kids have never picked up an original Nintendo controller, and they call themselves gamers.

13. Tfgraveyard

News Credits:

There's a difference between knowing your roots, and worshipping them. Just because g1 started it all, doesn't make it any better, or more deserving, then the rest.

I grew up on G1. G1 sucks. I loved it as a kid, but now, I can't even sit through a g1 episode. I'll take any of the newer series anyday.

Reality check: Not all of the people that grew up on g1 like it.

NOTE: the following is not directed at you, Inception, so find something else to get riled up about.

What's really annoying is when people start sprouting the "g1 started it all, so you have like/respect/worship etc. Being first does not always mean best. I couldn't care less about people not liking what like, but I giggle like a little school girl when I publicly state that I don't like g1, and them my PM box gets flooded with people telling me i'm not a "real fan", or that I need to grow up and respect the "roots of all tfs", etc.

14. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Well I never said I worshipped it. It's just for me it still is one of the better series. Certainly better then Armada.

15. Tfgraveyard

News Credits:
    Didn't mean to make it look like I was singling you out, more just a general comment about what i've expierenced. :thumb 

16. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Na' it's cool.
    I just can't beleive you actually get messages from some people. That's just taking it too far. You have the right to your own opinions.

17. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Huh, I certainly don't remember saying anything in that context. Pointing out that G1 started it all is NOT some sort of attempt to make people like it or remind/influence anyone to worship it - it's simply stating the FACT of things, subsequently meaning that it should come as no surprise why so many (note: I didn't say *all*) old fans have allegiance to that era of TF. Simple as that.

If you're going to conveniently quote posts for the sake of arguement, maybe try to A) read the entirety of what you're responding to first, and B) actually keep your response in context with all of it.

18. Tfgraveyard

News Credits:

I love it whem people assume things incorrectly so that they can get all upset about it.

Ahem. See below, thankyouverymuch.

If you're going to conveniently quote posts for the sake of arguement, maybe try to A) read the entirety of what you're responding to first, and B) actually keep your response in context with all of it.

Edited my post above, just for you Inception!

19. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

Blackout and Barricade ARE G1 characters in that they're both Decepticon Micromasters (Barricade being a sports car and Blackout being the rear half of a B1Bomber, I believe).

Honestly, I think that new characters might be the way to go. That way, no one will have high expectations. You see, sometimes its just best to not screw yourself by including established characters with huge fanbases, because if you screw up, people get ANGRY. SEE Movie Starscream or Megatron. People expected one thing and totally got something different.

20. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

As someone who has more Armada/Energon/Cybertron figs then G1 and fairly few alts and such at that, I can say that I like G1 in concept more then any of the more recent series. As far as concepts go, G1's style is my favorite because it's the most straight forward. No super ups or hyper modes, no random combining or collecting keys or tiny robots. Just alien robots who are hiding among us in plain sight.

Once you strip it of it's campy 80s cartoon roots the G1 story is basically a gritty war drama...with giant robots, which is why people feel it's a more 'serious' story. The past four TF series have been JP made and featured a distinctly jp feel to them, with slapstick humor, still frame action sequences, powerups and super attacks, things that could easily alienate many fans.

Personnally all the cartoons pale in comparison to Beast Wars imo, but even so I prefer the IDW-verse as I don't particularly care for pure Beast alt modes. But I can also say that G1 has my favorite characters, and if I had a choice I would say to bring in as many of the original guys as possible.