Should MS drop the price of the 360?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by misterd, May 25, 2006.

1. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Obviously we ALL would LIKE the 360 to inexpensive, but what we want is not necessarily best for the business. So FROM MS's point of view, should they cut price, or leave it as is? If they do cut it, by how much?

Here's how I see it:

AGAINST PRICE CUT - Since the 360 is still new hardware, manufacturing costs couldn't have dopped that much, so a price cut would further hurt profits. If the PS3 were coming out for a cheaper price, a cut might be needed to undercut it, but the PS3 price is so high that it gives the perception that the 360 is less expensive - it's almost a psychological price cut. The Wii is irrelevent, as its going after a different demographic, and technologically inferior (from a traditional point of view).

FOR PRICE CUT - Sony has been fumbling about badly of late. As MS's biggest competitor right now, MS should do all it can to cut down Sony's market share. Anouncing a price cut on the 360 would put a crimp in the PS3's launch - and that's already looking shaky as it is. A $50 price cut to each system would make the 360 nearly half the PS3s price, which could play big into buyer's psychology. It would also make the basic system comparable in price to a Wii (presuming the Wii launches at $200-250.). In fact, it's possible an announced price cut for the 360 PRIOR to Nintendo revealing the Wii's price could force Nintendo to go for the lower price as well ($200), further isolating Sony and exaggerating the PS3s cost. This would hurt the bottom line in console manufacturing, but it could also allow MS to dethrone Sony, resulting in larger long term benefits.

2. angeltread

angeltread TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    no. not with the lineup MS has coming. no sense in undercutting themselves when the demand is only going to increase.

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Too late! Wii Price revealed! ZOMG!

4. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    any price cut now would be seen as them panicing due to Nintendo's price, if they were going to do it they should have done it at E3, within hours of Sony's announcement.

5. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I don't think they need to yet. As you said, they got a psychological price cut when Sony announced the PS3 price. I suspect they were probably planning one for the Fall up until Sony's press conference.

But you do make some compelling arguments for dropping it too. It could probably go either way.

6. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

what line-up....oh those....looks good but nothing i would buy.

and if they do lower the price, they should wait for the PS3 price, cause $200-250 that the price the Wii is coming out at is way too low even for Bill Gates standard.

7. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    What rock have you been under???!!!

$500 for the gimp version, $600 for the real version

8. misterd

Sort of. They revealed the upper price limit. It may - may - end up being lower.

If the Wii is $250, then the need to lower the price of the 360 is lessened, but at $200, knocking even $25 off the price will make it that much more attractive.

9. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

MS would be foolish NOT to cut the price of the 360 around Thanksgiving, just to kick Sony in the teeth.

However, there's no reason to do so BEFORE then.

-XCN-

10. misterd

I disagree. Is it really that unusual for a console to lower its price after being on the market for a year? And why would they announce a price cut for this fall at E3, knowing it would cause buyers to postpone their purchase?

As for the Wii, MS did practically endorse the Wii at E3 (prompting a similar remark to be made by Sony). I'm not sure anyone who pays attention is thinking that the Wii and 360 are directly competing. The real fight seems to be between the 360 and PS3. Most currently concede that the Wii will be No 2 (I am not sure it won't end up #1), so the fight between Sony and MS is, rightly or wrongly, going to be framed as winner take all - first place, or last. So I think it would be seen as an agressive move to cut off Sony's balls at a point when it is looking vulnerable. It would also make sense to hold off the price change until they got closer to Sony's release, making it harder for them to respond.

I tend to be an agressive guy on this sort of competition, so I think MS should go for the throat now. But then, I'm not responsible for a multi-million dollar enterprise, and I don't know how big a hit they would take for cutting prices by $25-50.

11. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    MS should market the one-two punch of buying a 360 and a wii for less than the PS3. If they have to lower the price a little to make that statement true, then they should.

Seeing a bold campaign of siding with one competitor could be looked upon favorably in the market. Parents would for sure take notice. The Wii is going to be a big seller anyway, might as well "cash in" on the publicity.

12. angeltread

angeltread TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    i realize cutting the price could possibly entice gamers to buy the system. but it could also send a (false) message that the system isn't selling well and that would backfire. yes, there's some decent titles out as of now, but all the anticipated titles are coming later and to be honest, there's no real demand for the system yet. again, why should they cut the price BEFORE all the big titles that ARE going to generate demand get released?

13. misterd

Psychologically, a small ($25) price cut moves them from $300 and $400 to "under $300" and "under $400." That means people will be seeing the Full XBox in the "three hundreds" vs Full PS3's $600. Small difference in the margins, but it could work well for marketing.

14. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

I think that there's no reason to, and there probably will be no need until next year.

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the 360's price is fine where it is, it's well worth the money especially since you can always upgrade the cheaper version later on when you can afford to. the Wii is cheaper because other than the controller, its not very advanced hardware. it's cheap to produce. the 360 is not. and the 360 doesnt rely on any retarded unproven media type like the PS3 that inflates the price.

16. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

For now the 360's price is fine. I say they cut it to about $20-$50 on November 17 when PS3 hits. ;) 

17. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

that's right...totally forgot about that...all i think about when i hear PS3 now is the whole pre-owned thingee.

18. OmegaSaber

OmegaSaber Your buttcheeks is warm

Ebay:
    They'd be stupid to lower it before the release of Halo 3, maybe 6 months after that, but no sooner. Halo is MS's undisputed system seller, simple as that. That coupled with the fact that their system is $200 lower than the PS3 (from each respective price point) is incentive enough for them to keep the price as is. They weren't worried about the GC being cheaper than the Xbox, so why would they worry about the Wii?

19. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I can see a price drop just before the PS3 launches... Well I can wish for one anyway.

20. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

They'll drop the price when Wii/PS3 launches, until then, why would they bother?