Should movieverse transformers rust?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Meggamus, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Meggamus

Meggamus I want FOC figures!!

in dotm we see Megatron all rusty and such but in one of the G1 eps (maybe ep61 not sure now) they said that they were made from metal that is imune to rust and only cosmic rust infected them like a disease and corrostop was invented by perceptor to stop this (something like this).

i know movieverse is different to G1 but it seemed quite serious to me when megatron got infected with rust and here he is in dotm not concerened

maybe im being nitpicky but has anyone else noticed this ??

if there is already a thread bout this dont worry bout this one

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Rust is just there to give more details besides "dirty" or "scratched." It's one of the technical details you really shouldn't think that much about.

For DOTM Megatron you could make the case that he scanned a rusty truck, so the rust was copied. (though Megatron was rusty in TF2 as well)

3. Meggamus

Meggamus I want FOC figures!!

ok ye he did scan a rusty truck but in rotf like u said he was rusty and he hadnt scaned anything , he was jst a cybertronian jet/tank thing

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Well, they weren't TOTALLY immune to rust in G1. The episode "Cosmic Rust" made this clear when Megatron gets contaminated by the titular corrosive, then nearly all the Transformers, and the only thing that can stop it is the Statue of Liberty. Or at least the Corrostop stuff Perceptor put on it.

With DOTM, Megatron is a totally different creature. Back in ROTF, he'd been dropped in the sea and stuck on the bottom for 2+ years, so naturally the process of rust forming would occur. Then at the start of DOTM, he's still feeling the major ass kicking Prime gave him back in Egypt plus the numerous OTHER problems going on (such as Megatron missing HALF HIS HEAD) kinda make rust irrelevant at this point. Plus, there was a post by Overlord Balder where he described the underlaying tones about DOTM and mentioned Megatron was part of the idea of "decaying". Rust is essentially metal decay, so it works as a visual aid.

And then going back to the 2007 movie, Bumblebee's initial alt. mode, the beater 77 Camaro, had rust on it as well that translated into robot mode. The upgrade into the then-concept Camaro improved the alt. mode, but rust was still visible on some robot mode parts.

5. Wheeljack94

Wheeljack94 Autobot Lycan

News Credits:
    well,... i think rotf megs had rust on him because he was surrounded by water for two years and the general audience knows the metal rust so bay might have wanted it to seem more realalistic.

but by the end of rotf, it looked like all the rust was gone. so maybe he "healed"?

and in dotm, with his brain exposed to air like that maybe he caught cosmic rust? idk

6. AllSpark Shard

AllSpark Shard Squirrel-flattener

I also noticed that, when Ironhide said "my feet is gonna rust" in TF1.

I thought "In G1, they were supposed to be anti-rust" but then I remembered, movieverse isnt G1, only inspired by it.

Megatron's rust in DOTM is not true rust, it was copied when he trans-scanned that truck. It was a deliberate idea by the designers to make him look more menacing, and also, decaying.

Of course they can rust, what Ironhide said is proof. Also, Jetfire said they rust without energon. If Megatron did rust when he was in the Laurentian Abyss, its clear the Allspark power healed him.

But it seems in Megatron's case in DOTM, it was just copied rust.

7. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I think Megs is rusted because he is with a wound-caused, robotic equivalent of cancer: His body is breaking down slowly, his organs are dying from the inside out and all that shit, he is literally falling apart as the time goes, thus his wrecked state [similar to human's equivalent of cancer: your body ends up wrecked].

Jetfire went through a similar process: He spent too much time without Energon, making his body break down due lack of resources, thus he was conmsumed by rust. Slowly.

As for other TFs, I think they do rust [If they aren't on Protoform, 'cause Protoforms seem to be immune to any natural diversities like the atmosphere, space-cold and that kind of thing, and rust] after a good while of their death [like humans become pure bones after their die, but depending on the death, it usually takes a while to become PURE BONES].

8. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I'd say its more cosmetic because rusted metal looks great. That and he obviously isnt going to be in pristine condition after rotting away on the bottom of the ocean then rotting in the desert.

However, if you wanted a more significant reason you could always say as Jetfire and Megatron are the only ones to be covered in rust that its just something that happens when a Transformer is weak or in very poor condition.

Jetfire was energon starved and ancient, Megatron was a walking corpse. I'd say both would be counted as poor condition.

9. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

I think you are looking into it too much. THese robots are fighting a war. It gives the impression they have been beat up.

10. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    *Cough* Ironhide *Cough*

Haters gonna hate.

No. Not the scene you're thinking of, sicko. I'm referring to the first film when Mojo pees on Ironhide's toe and Ironhide states that; "It's gonna rust." So I think they can Rust in the movie-verse. But I wouldn't say it's terribly bad like Cosmic Rust. It just makes them look a bit dirty is all.