Should Michael Bay leave the franchise? (no discussion)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by luca_frontino, Jun 27, 2009.

?

Should Michael Bay leave the franchise?

1. Yes

125 vote(s)
    46.8%
  2. No

142 vote(s)
    53.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    So money and animation is the reason we need to accept a frat boy douche-nozzle and an ex-government agent who wears man-thongs as more important characters than Ironhide and Ratchet? Really, you're validating that with this? I think you just created a singularity. I really hope there's more this than that, I don't want to believe this.

2. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

Yes, money is why some (most) Transformers won't get as large a role as human characters. When they made the first film, a single transformation cost the same as what Shia got paid for the entire film.

3. TankRizzo

TankRizzo Well-Known Member

I wonder who's fault that is. Mr. "Boxformers don't work".

The robot designs are way too complex for their own good and the movie is ridiculously long for what it is. We could have had a Transformers movie about....well...Transformers if they simplified the designs a bit and lopped about 45 minutes off of the movie.

...andother thing I don't get....why did they go through the effort of designing Demolishor and Sideways,
    only to kill them off in the beginning of the movie
    only to LATER clone bots we've seen before without explanation???

4. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    I want to tackle hug you.

5. Cory Bauer

*facepalm* If that's what you want to see, go on youtube and watch the stuff talented fans create on their computers at home. The incredible CGI created by ILM is what a lot of people take away from these films.

Keeping everyone alive until the end just because their models cost a lot would have made for a repeat of the first film. Talk about driving the story for all the wrong reasons.

6. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    As opposed to driving the story for all the wrong reasons the way they already did it? Look I'm at college! It has nothing to do with anything, but I'm in class, I'm in my dorm, I'm at college! Here's 30 minutes we could have advanced the story! Look, dancing girls! Hey bro, is that my Jack Johnson CD on the table? Brotastic!

7. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    The designs are imo, great. I mean, that's what makes the movie verse unique and standout. The issue however is focus & quality screen time.

In about every 'sense of the word', I feel that ROTF is Bay's rush job. Though the forest fight was really good, the rest lacked focus and we were left with fragmented bits n pieces of dozens of cannon fodder bots.

8. Cory Bauer

Sam is the lead character in the film; telling his story is just as important as telling what Optimus Prime and the Autobots are up to these days. To suggest that his scenes be cut is absolutely absurd.

9. TankRizzo

The CGI is one of the running themes of what people COMPLAIN about too. "Yeah, the action was great, but I couldn't tell what was going on most of the time".

10. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    You're telling me that these scenes did a single thing to advance the story? Really, was there any point?

11. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In the first movie I actualy agree about that, some of time I couldn't tell who was who but in ROTF it was much easier to see due to the wide shots they used focused on the robots instead of just ZOOM ON THE ROBOT'S FEET AS HUMANS RUN IN THE MIDDLE OF A CITY WITH DOGS BARKING AND PIPES EXPLODING.

12. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Wrong.

The problem is camera direction ; which is Bay's responsibility. The dude needs to learn Line of Action and how to properly frame in fight choreography.

It went pretty well until the forest scene. After that, his camera direction went down the drain again.

And.. despite too many close ups in TF1.... the action shots flowed a lot better there.

13. Cory Bauer

For the robot battles to be any more clear than they were in Revenge of the Fallen (where they were already very well done in most people's opinions), you'd need to use the most basic, toyish plain robots imaginable. No thank you.

Again, considering that Sam is the lead character and it must be established where he is in life and what's going on with him, YES.

14. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

It's not just Sam; it's the many other Bayisms that take up so much unnecessary time. The goofy (and annying) roomate who tags along for the entire movie. Even he didn't want to be there. The ridiculous gov't official who under the direct authority of the President seems hell-bent on making things difficult for our heroes. A military strike team that doesn't follow orders (because they know better). Sam's mom getting high? All of these things could have been trimmed.

15. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    I'm going to totally disagree with you, and by the way, do you enjoy him as lead character when the lead character should be, oh...I don't know...Optimus Prime...

16. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    I know, seriously right? These guys act like if another director jumps on the bots will have more screentime and the humans won't exist. Newsflash, general audiences outside of us robot nerds need humans to connect and relate to and some don't even see the robots as characters (cough cough Ebert) thus your never going to get a Transformer movie with nothing but bots (at least certainly not live-action with even a decent budget). Really Bay seems to be one of the most cost efficient directors out there. Man knows how to squeeze every bit of CGI out of his buck.

17. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    That's the problem with your average hacky-sacking popped-collar bro D-bag being the target audience of this movie. You know what, Transformers FANS made it popular, but we're not good enough to be the target audience? Let's put in scores of unnecessary humans and idiotic humor because "general audiences" can't relate to THE TRANSFORMERS? Even though the movie is called TRANSFORMERS?

If they can't relate, maybe they should stick to "Disaster Movie". And if you're a "robot nerd", why are you cool with it?

18. Cory Bauer

You're demanding something that's financially impossible at this time. And yes, I enjoy Shia immensely, and I know for a fact that he and his parents help make the film enjoyable for the people who wouldn't otherwise sit through a transformers film.

19. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    If Michael Bay doesn't leave the franchise, then I will save myself hundreds of dollars by not buying any tickets, toys, or media. I guess you could say I win whether he leaves or not.

The more I think about ROTF, the more pissed off at it I get.

20. TankRizzo

People don't connect with the bots because they're never given a chance to! It's not like it's impossible to connect with a non-human, Ebert even pointed it out, Pixar did fine with Wall-E.

...and I'm going to COMPLETELY disagree with you on the Bay squeezing everything he can out of the CGI. Quite the opposite, he has no clue how to properly utilize it and wasted a monumental amount of money on things like the twins and devastator when they were largely inconsequential to anything going on.

Yes, he knows how to cut deals for product placement, yes, he knows how to run a tight ship on the set and utilizes his time with the crew, and he knows his explosions. But CGI is NOT his forte.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.