Should Megatron have stayed dead after TF1?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Black Oracle, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    I've been thinking: Megatron's roles were diminished in ROTF and DOTM as other new villains came into the picture. He became a disciple to the Fallen in ROTF and was revealed to be working with Sentinel Prime in DOTM. After the first movie, he didn't seem to serve much importance in the plots of the following two movies. So I wonder: would it have been better if Megatron had simply never been resurrected in ROTF? Allowing The Fallen and Sentinel Prime to be the main villains of ROTF and DOTM without competition from Megatron? This might have avoided presenting Megatron as weaker beside these two other villains and would have allowed them more focus, attention and time for development in the movies. As it stands, Megatron was always there competing with other 'big bads' for his position. And maybe Optimus' final battles with the Fallen and Sentinel could have been extended a bit more and might have appeared more of a struggle without Megatron interfering in them. What do you think?

2. Funnymerc

Funnymerc Well-Known Member

I got tired of him after the 1st one

3. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I think he shouldn't, even in ROTF and in DOTM we had a happy amount of Megs [in ROTF he killed Optimus and in DOTM he had his giant masterplan of awesomeness, that came surprisingly close to succeeding].

But, I DO think he should STAY DEAD after DOTM, he had a whole "decaying" storyark, and frankly, he deserves some rest, bring forth Lord Straxus.

4. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I sadly say yes.

Shockwave could have led in DOTM.

5. Fitch

Fitch Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, but he should've became Galvatron.

6. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

I'm tempted to say "Yes". Better IMO to have seen him stay dead after the first movie (since it would also avoid dredging up the perpetual question of why the Autobots didn't just put Jazz back together and use the Allspark shard to bring HIM back) then become a subservient character who has little other use besides simply guaranteeing him a slot in the accompanying toyline for the film.

7. Overlord Balder

That question has been answered a thousand times: The Autobots didn't know about the AllSpark properties of bringing the dead back.

8. PrimePower04

PrimePower04 I got the touch!

honestly yes but transformers w/o him is like not having your best friend at your wedding... it just isn't right

9. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

I've got to agree here: it would preserve Movie 1 Megatron's status as supreme butt-kicker, and it would allow other characters a chance to shine.

I think that RotF Megatron's role could have been filled by Bludgeon, who would have died at the forest fight instead of Optimus, forcing Starscream to flee. After Bludgeon's death, we could focus on Starscream's desire to rebuild Cybertron, and his deal with the devil, or in this case, a redesigned and powered-up Fallen (who would have the entire battle at the Harvester to himself, as Starscream would abandon him, deciding that nothing is worth making a deal with that kind of monster). Starscream in this movie would be the well-intentioned extremist in contrast to Megatron's brutal psychopath.

DotM Megatron would be replaced with Shockwave, who would have usurped Starscream. Shockwave would view Starscream, having failed already, as an illogical choice to carry out the restoration of Cybertron and the alliance with Sentinel.

Another option would be to keep Megatron dead until the end of RotF, moving his resurrection scene forward. He would be there in DotM, but he would be in a more diabolical, scheming role, reversing his dynamic with Sentinel. He would manipulate Sentinel down the dark path, and once Optimus executed Sentinel after a one-on-one battle, Megatron would torment Optimus with that fact, forcing their final, epic confrontation (or have Megatron, knowing that the battle is lost, leave as Sentinel dies, whichever you prefer).

10. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    I would have liked them leaving Megatron dead in ROTF and replacing him with Starscream. THEN have him revived in DOTM by Soundwave and put the Sentinel plan into action.

Imagine a movie where Starscream kills Optimus Prime. I could just see him stabbing his missile launcher through Optimus' back in that back stab move then shooting.

Not to mention him saying "Is the death of our race worth a single human life!" and him torturing Sam with Ze Doctor.

11. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Some good ideas here. Having Starscream and then Shockwave leading the Decepticons in ROTF and DOTM could have been different and interesting. Certainly other characters could have benefitted without Megatron me thinks.

12. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

To be honest, I didn't like the way Megatron was portrayed in ROTF, but... I was okay with him coming back to life in ROTF, and although he didn't seem like he was the big bad that he should be in DOTM, he was still good in DOTM.

So, no... I don't think he should have stayed dead after TF1.

13. Wheeljack94

Wheeljack94 Autobot Lycan

News Credits:
    yes. starscream should have been the villian in ROTF. and then ROTF megs design should have been in DOTM.

14. Faded-Myth

Faded-Myth Oddbot

The movies needed Megatron. He was one more link to G1 that I really appreciated. Especially given that the Decepticons had hordes of faceless protoforms and the core bad guys deviated even more from their G1 counterparts than the Autobots did. He was the big face everyone could relate to more easily.

And frankly, Megatron doesn't have to be the commanding leader all the time to be interesting. I thought it was actually kinda cool to see him knocked down a peg or two and slowly, though unsuccessfully, claw his way back up.

15. ARCTrooperAlpha

ARCTrooperAlpha Well-Known Member

Ebay:

I like your suggestion of a well-intentioned extremist starscream. That's what the character was in Reign of Starscream, yes ?

16. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    He shouldn't have been killed in the first one.

17. CrazyGitar

CrazyGitar Active Member

Ebay:
    I like the overall basis of these ideas a lot. It's a shame the fandom has often shown glimmers of great plot lines that the real writers fail to recognise.

HAVING SAID THAT, I realise a lot of the reasons the plots aren't fleshed out is because they need/want to re-use old models and that it takes so much to fully animate anything with a Transformer in. While I would love there to be some holes filled in (such as Optimus actually reaching his trailer for the jetpack) that would be time intensive.

To steer back on topic I think Megs was a great villain in #1 (and I feel that #1 was the best overall film) and by DotM he was a tertiary character that did little but glaze over larger plot holes. Even then, he did it poorly :-\

18. Rumblebee7

Rumblebee7 Cassete Player

killed in the first , brought back in the 3rd. TOTAL BADASS. without megs you dont have the plot with sentinel , you can still have it but with a different character like shockwave or something.

i dont give a shit about the fallen , starscream should've lead in the 2nd and when megatron comes back in the 3rd as galvatron , kills starscream respectfully . Much better death then dying to sam and lennox

19. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    GOD DAMN, fuck Galvatron!

20. Overlord Balder

thank you!