Should Megatron get a Redemption arc?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by JasonPrime, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Honorbound

Honorbound Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Besides, he's already gotten a new lease on life, twice. Once after returning from the dead in RotF, and once in AoE. All it did was give him another chance to conquer/destroy Earth and kill a lot of people.

2. BumblebeeFan71

BumblebeeFan71 Loyal Starscream Follower

YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah I don't think redemption arc would fit this incarnation of Megatron. I definitely think we might get a temporary truce, especially with the Creators in the story. It would make sense that Megatron would agree to take down a common enemy since he would know that if the Creators took back all the knights which would include him, the conflict with the Autobots would be the least of his worries.

3. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    No this Megatron is far too determined to be an asshole. I just wish he was a smarter asshole, like Raymond Reddington or something.

• Like Like x 2
  4. BumblebeeFan71

BumblebeeFan71 Loyal Starscream Follower

YouTube (Legacy):
    Well he seemed pretty clever in AOE, manipulating everyone so things would fall into place for him. Heck even his disappearance during the final battle could even be reasonable with him being a knight and most likely knowing that Lockdown was gathering the knights.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

If they are going to borrow ideas from all over the history of Transformers then a heavy dose of Beast Wars Megatron would be nice.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Reask

Reask Predacon

Nah, not going to happen unless it's a brief alliance against Unicron or the Quintessons. It would have been possible if they stuck with the original ending for the third film. Speaking of which, while this will never happen, I thought this was a beautiful bit of fanart, even if this is the same guy who ripped Jazz in two. :) 

Transformers movie - Megatron

7. TFFan01

TFFan01 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What about Sentinel or even Megatron? It was pretty clear that they wanted to save their planet and race. They weren't all that "mindless". Unlike most other Megatrons whose goal are to simply conquer and destroy.

What more motivation do you want?

Plus DOTM originally had Megatron making a genuine truce with Optimus and Earth. So Redemption arc.
    was going to happen.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It's been a weird dynamic with Prime hasn't cared about Cybertron or saving the Cybertronian race so it's been characters like Megatron attempting to save the home world even if horrible things have to be done to save Cybertron and robots from there. Prime has been a fatalist that seems to be waiting around for his people to die off while Megatron has been working to have some sort of future for the Transformers. It's like Megatron has taken on lots of the roles that used to go to Prime.

9. TFFan01

News Credits:
    True but can you imagine Optimus enslaving an entire race to save his own?

10. Dotmshockwave

Dotmshockwave Senior Robotic Citizen

News Credits:
    Maybe not Optimus (the last/latest member of the prime's) but yes some Primes (obviously Sentinel as one) I could see enslaving races for their own.

11. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    No, who was it who had the plan to bring Cybertron to Earth in G1? That was Megatron.

12. TFFan01

News Credits:
    I don't think any one of them other than Sentinel and Fallen would enslave a race. First Primes swore to never destroy a planet with life, didn't they?

13. Dotmshockwave

Dotmshockwave Senior Robotic Citizen

News Credits:
    there is a difference between enslavement and destroying all life. The fallen wanted them all dead. Sentinel just wanted to enslave them. I'm sure more then just the fallen would have turned to the enslavement option had cybertron been at stake.

14. TFFan01

News Credits:
    I think Primes are implied to be driven by the classic "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" motto just like Optimus. Though there can't be any real answers here, just speculations.

15. Magnahide

Magnahide Maximal Commander

Megatron, supposedly, has the ultimate goal of restoring Cybertron, which fuels his motives. He also cares about no one but himself and nothing will stop him from achieving whatever goal he has at the moment. He also thinks of humans as useless disposable insects (unless, of course, they can be a slave labor force).

I think it would be rather difficult to explain how he could sway so far to the other end. He doesn't take other people into consideration when he makes choices. He doesn't care if anything he does will hurt someone else, even his own loyal followers. If someone doesn't like him, they're just wrong and getting in his way, so they should just be killed and not dealt with anymore.

I just don't see how this guy could somehow magically realize "Whoa...I'm a giant douche nozzle" and join the people who stopped him from achieving anything for centuries. He can't just suddenly become a good guy out of nowhere. I think this type of thing would have to have already been mapped out by the writers and done over the next three movies in order to show his sort of transition into his change of heart. Kind of like how Darth Vader slowly changed back into Anakin over the course of the original trilogy. But Anakin returned because family ultimately meant everything to him. What would Megatron value so much that it would finally change his perspective?

• Like Like x 1
  16. KingMegatron632

KingMegatron632 Well-Known Member

I would like to see Megatron get a redemption arc in the movies, but that probably won't happen a long as Michael Bay is running things.

Just saying.

17. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    No. The only reason he keeps getting brought back from the dead is to be the enduring evil counterpart to Prime anyway, so as far as the movies go trying to redeem him defeats the entire point of having him anymore.

18. KingMegatron632

KingMegatron632 Well-Known Member

You do realize their are other TF villains beside Megatron right? Using the same villain over and over again tends to get old in the eyes of the general public now a days.
    I'd rather see a new villain who not only poses a threat to the good guys, but some of the other villains as well.

19. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    And yet that is exactly what Megatron is in these films. The exact same bad guy overshadowed by the new one-off bad guy of each successive film. even the Galvatron upgrade is being rolled back just to get Megatron again.

Isnt that just humanity in general by this point?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Personally I'd like to see Megatron take the role of main villain before they try redeeming him..you know; without another villain taking it away from him for once. Let Megatron be the main villain for once.