Should MechaCon "phase-out" Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Space Cowboy, May 24, 2006.

1. Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy MechaCon Organizer

So here's a question...

Are the southern states simply not interested in having an annual convention with a strong focus on Transformers?

I ask because the staff of MechaCon has noticed a severe lack of interest by the Transformers fandom and have been pushing the organizers to "phase-out" the Transformers aspect of MechaCon.

Is this an astute observation or are interested parties just remaining quiet?

The convention staff is predicting that Transformers fan turnout will be minimal. In short, they're expecting our Beast Wars celebration to tank and are pushing, should that happen, to eliminate Transformers from the convention completely in 2007 and become strictly anime-based.

Given the tremendous amount of MechaCon's budget directed toward Transformers, this would give the staff the footing needed to convince the organizers to see things their way.

So I guess I'm looking for opinions here. Do you guys think including Transformers as a part of MechaCon is a fool's errand? What should we expect as far as turnout from the fandom? Should I now just start expecting the worst?

This is a genuine concern of mine and I'd really like some honest feedback here. So, please help. I want to hear what you guys think... for better or worse.

Thanks in advance. :) 

2. Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy MechaCon Organizer

I posed this same question on a couple of other forums and the general consensus seems to be...

"Anime and Transformers really are two completely different worlds that were never meant to intertwine... despite the fact that Transformers is mostly Japanese animation."

So, we'll be taking a hard look at that logic for the 2007 event.

In the meantime, our 2006 plans will be going ahead as scheduled, with some great guests. So if anyone feels so inclined, please feel free to join us on August 11-13th. It's going to be a fantastic time.

Please close this thread now. Thanks.