should jet fires alt mode be.....

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ultra lynx, Mar 28, 2006.

1. ultra lynx

ultra lynx Active Member

I was just thinking and thats what gets me in trouble lol
    I would think jet fires alt mode in cybertron would of looked better as wing saber's but thats jmho.
    the whole linking up thing and jet fire was a bad ass plane not a cargo hauler lol

2. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Yeah. I don't get the whole thing with making Jetfire a cargo style plane. G1 Jetfire was a pretty small fighter plane.* They seem to want to base newer versions of him off of Skyfire, the cartoon incarnation. I'd like to see him as a fighter, again. No telling what they'll do with him, in the Classics line.

*Official measurements for the VF-1, make it noticeably smaller than an F-15.

3. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I came here assuming this was going to be about what the "Classics" Jetfire toy was going to look like. :) 

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Eh, I like the direction they went with Jetfire's alt mode in Cybertron. There's loads of jet fighters and the like in TF, so it was cool to see a different kind of alt mode in use.

5. Darth Megatron

Darth Megatron Don't tell Lucas!

Agreed, the Autobots alt-mode should be less military and more civilian (taken from the G1 cartoon explanation of how the transformers came to be.)

6. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But, umm, Cybertron isn't G1. Not that I'm assuming that you're even saying that, but using that kind of logic for a series that's not that series... just seems off to me.

Personally, I like the take on Cybertron Jetfire, but I would have made it a different character all together and let "Wing Saber" be Jetfire. I mean, Cyb Wing Saber acts nothing like Energon Wing Saber. But that's probably either Takara or Gonzo's fault as it's obvious Hasbro's intention for this was to make it the final in a trilogy.

However, we got what we got and I'm quit happy with that.

7. Darth Megatron

:banghead:  why is it when anyone makes reference to G1 in a Cybertron thread people always say that?

They may be different continuities, but it is the same product, they are the still Autobots and Decepticons, still transform etc. etc, etc..

My point is that given what we know about the Autobots, one could say that they are more peaceful beings, hence, non- military style alt-modes. I used the, (eck!!) G1 reference to illuminate my point.

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think my favorite Jetfire I've seen is the Titanium. Can't wait to have it in hand.

9. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Because they're not the same continuity at all. They're different. And I think you missed my point.

Yes, still Autobots and Decepticons... they still transform, but you can't judge one continuities fiction based on another continuities fiction. Sure the G1 Autobots used mainly non-military vehicles and such for disguise, but it seems that in Cybertron that that's obviously out the window. Sure, the Autobots still use their alt modes to disguise themselves from the general populace, but obviously they don't care what kind of vehicle... otherwise they'd all (save for a handful) be some kind of sports car if we really want to go by the vast majority of S1 & S2 G1 Autobots.

As I said, I think that's it's a bit off to make assumptions about one continuity based off another continuity. And there was no eck in the fact that you used a G1 reference. To me, personally, G1 is G1 and Cybertron is Cybertron (although this is debatably part of Armada and Energon as well) and ideas from one fiction shouldn't be assumed that it exists in this ficition. Also, Cybertron's Autobots don't seem all that un-warlike to me, but that's just my personal opinion. It's okay... we all have them...

10. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    OMG! Everytime you post I just want to punch your face in! Your opinion is like your asshole, it stinks!

:p  I'm really tired and Cathy was getting on my last nerves last night.

Back OT, I don't mind the cargo plane look for Jetfire. He was a space shuttle in Armada and Energon, so it's cool to change things up every once in a while.

As far as talking about G1 Jetfire being a fighter plane, I was always disapointed in the toy because it didn't look like Skyfire in the show, who I liked a lot. Mind you, this was before I discovered Robotech, so I probably would have liked the toy as another veritech more than being a TF.

If they do a Jetfire for the classics line, I'd like to see a more show accurate version, but if the titanium is the only G1ish jetfire we get, I won't complain.

11. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Other than his size, Robotmaster Jetfire wasn't bad. Nice coloring, fighter mode. His head could've been better.

12. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ah, well, another country heard from. You've been spending too much time on the Star Wars message boards haven't you? :) 

Cathy being a pain? How's that different from the norm? PM me, you can get your frustrations out without making yourself look dumb in public. :D 

13. Darth Megatron

We are not debating the old and new testament here. Yes there is an inherit difference between the generations, but no matter wear you look the autobots will be the same 'type' of characters. I suppose you could say it is an alternate dimension (which it presumably is) and the characters are not the same, but if you look at it from the perspective that these are children’s toys, therefore an Autobot is good, Decepticon is bad.

And yes there are some military based vehicles that are Autobots, my thoughts are that these are a reflection of the war that they are currently fighting. During the beginning of Cybertron there was no war, no reason for Jetfire to be a war plane.
    Cybertron
    Optimus Prime - Fire Truck ( albeit a well armed firetruck, but a fire truck non-the less)
    Jetfire - Cargo plane
    HotShot - Race car
    Red Alert - SUV
    Landmine- Front Loader
    Scattershot - Well armed military vehic... well doesn't work for everybody.
    Energon
    Optimus Prime- Futuristic Truck
    Jetfire- Futuristic shuttle
    Hotshot- Sports car
    Inferno- Fire truck

Switching generations

RID
    Optimus- Fire truck
    Side burn- Sports Car
    X-brawl- SUV
    Rail racer- train

Now there may be few that don't fit, but you have to admit, all Civilian, non- military style bots.

14. butz

butz slippery when wet

I didn't care for Cybertron Jetfire that much. He looked really cool in pictures, but after I got him he quickly became my least favorite Cyb figure. Then again, Energon Jetfire ranks as one of my least favorite TF figures of any line, so it could've been a lot worse.

15. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I am one of the people pulling for the "Civilian = Autobots, Military = Decepticons) school of thought. Of course it's not that practical what with the repaints of bots to cons (ie Sky Shadow) and it's not exactly the philosophy designers live by (Cyb Wingsaber and Scattershot being example of military bot), but I still would like a more distinctive look for each faction. Maybe the movie toys will have such distinction.

16. Jetfireinthesky

Jetfireinthesky Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With the "Autobots=civilian vech., Decepticons=military vech." train of thought, a person would think that Hasbro is trying to tell children that the military is evil because it's the Decepticons choice of alternate mode.

And that train of thought is acceptible for Generation 1 because of it's Quintesson backstory for the different factions alternate mode choices. The Armada/Energon/Cybertron backstory is pretty much unknown as far as why they choose their alternate modes.

I like Generation 1 Jetfire as a fighter jet but I can also accept Arm/Ener/Cyb Jetfire as a shuttle/cargo plane because I can acknowledge they are two different characters.

So I'd really like Neo-G1 Jetfire to be a fighter jet. :D 

Or look like the Generation 1 cartoon model. Either or.

17. butz

butz slippery when wet

Perhaps a mixture of the two?

18. Tannerbot2000

Tannerbot2000 Well-Known Member

I for one like that Cyb. Jetfire is a civilian cargo plane. It fits into his armada and energon routes of being a cargo vehicle (exotic workspace or not, a space shuttle is still a cargo vehicle). Also, as cybertron was supposed to be like a neo G1 sort of idea, bots hiding on earth, it made more sense for him to be a civy aircraft. people pay way less atention to a jumbo jet then they do a f-15. The one thing i wish was that he was used as trasport for the little guys, woulda been cool to see overhaul / jackshot leap down outa the sky claws first.

19. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Nuts to all of you, I want an old-style space rocket design.

20. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetfireinthesky
    So I'd really like Neo-G1 Jetfire to be a fighter jet.

Or look like the Generation 1 cartoon model. Either or.

I'd prefer the cartoon design myself, with some improvements in details of course, mostly because, aside from some homage in Energon Skyblast, It's never really been done in an official toy.