Should I watch Dragonball GT?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by LigerPrime, Oct 18, 2008.

1. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Guys, I finally got my hands on some the Dragonball and DragonBall Z series and despite the long, dragged-out fight scenes long fight scenes and overplayed gimmicks of power-ups, I must admit that I'm enjoying it.

I'm almost half way through Z and my question is should I watch GT? Some of folks I know say, its not as good as the earlier series? Appreciate your opinion guys! :) 

2. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    Just watch it, it's dragonball for over 9000's sake !

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I didn't like it, so I wouldn't.

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Well, it depends. Do you really like the movies and filler storylines (Garlic Jr., the dead people tournament)? If so, you'd probably like GT as it's more of the same kind of stuff. If you prefer the parts actually written by Dragonball's creator (the big sagas), then you should just skip GT.

5. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Akira Toriyama had nothing to do with the series except approving character designs, so no, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

6. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

The actual "grand tour" part of the series (the first arc) is pretty dreadful and was even skipped during the show's initial US release because Funimation recognized it as being so bad it would drive away any and all viewers (it was eventually released as "the lost episodes" after they'd finished the rest of the series).

The show gets a little better afterward and I liked how the writers dug up a rather obscure piece of Saiyan history (the Tuffles). But yeah, it's pretty meh. The ending is kind of depressing (at least for Piccolo and Goku) and Super Saiyan lever 4 is just too hilarious-looking to be cool.

Overall, if you've watched ALL of Dragonball, ALL of Dragonball Z and ALL the movies...then you're a pretty hardcore fan, so you'll probably want to check out GT. If you're just a casual viewer...you're better off avoiding it.

7. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Thanks for the feedback guys! The reason why I may pass it up because it was written by the original creator...by the way was Dragonball censored in the US? I believe that the version I saw was censored - with regards to some of the "adult" jokes! LOL!

8. DrSpengler

It's complicated.

Kidmark released the first 13 episodes of Dragonball plus the first movie, Curse of the Blood Rubies, and edited them for content (these were the episodes featuring the Ocean Group voices).

Eventually, their television broadcast rights to those episodes expired and Funimation picked them up. The first 13 episodes were redubbed and aired on Toonami, but edited for Cartoon Network standards.

Unfortunately, Kidmark's home video rights to those episodes have not expired, so they have not been released in the US uncut (though every episode past #13 and every movie past #1 have been released uncut by Funimation).

So the episodes have been redubbed and an uncut version likely exists, but Funimation can't release them on home video until Kidmark's rights expire.

9. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Ugh GT was terrible. Way more so than Z.

10. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    NO!!!!!!!

11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    GT was milking out whatever they could. So they dug up a couple of loose ends from Z for one arc, then came up with the whole evil Dragonballs thing to string it out more.

It's pretty weak, though to be honest Dragonball Z was milked out pretty extensively - I understand Toriyama kept killing Goku after every major arc because he wanted to end there but was persuaded to keep going to make more money or something.

12. DrSpengler

From what I understand. Toriyama initially intended to end the story after the Frieza arc (which is why the battle was so epically long-winded) but was "pursuaded" by the execs who bought the rights to the series to continue. Basically it was a "If YOU don't continue the story then WE will" scenerio. So not wanting some soulless corporate morons to continue his story without him, he plodded it along for two more excruciating arcs before calling it quits.

And even after that, they STILL decided to keep it going without him, which as we all know, lead to GT.

13. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    God I hated GT. Hell, I could NOT take the Super Saiyan 4 form seriously without cracking up at how pathetic Goku and Vegeta looked. It's as if they were rejected extras from Planet of the Apes.

14. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

I liked GT... it was different, but the animation was pretty good and the fights were shortened compared to those in Z, but were still pretty dramatic.

I'm working my way through Z right now (halfway through the Frieza arc) and I intend to keep going with the Funimation sets. Season 1 of GT comes out in November.

15. gil

gil Godmaster

Just watch it. If you don't like what your watching, turn it off and don't watch the rest. No one can really tell you your going to enjoy a show until you watch it, but also no one is forcing you to watch the whole thing if you start watching but don't like what you see.

My opinion, I thought it was okay.

16. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

I honestly looking back HATE IT with all my migth.
    Its okay....just not as dragon ball.....

17. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

All you need to watch is Dragonball.

Z and GT? Meh.

18. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I got 4 episodes into the US showing of GT on Cartoon Network and stopped.

19. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    In all honesty, no. DB and DBZ are all you need.

20. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Thanks for the insight guys!! :)  and since I can't reply everyone...

Man! The above problem seems kinda complicated! Looks like I will have to source for the Hong Kong or Asia version - but even then they are censored. For example, I couldn't get the Bulma's er, balls are missing jokes until one of the episodes later mentioned it! LOL!

That explains why they keep killing Goku. I think its also a tactic to focus on the other characters as character-wise, Goku is somewhat matured and there is so much they can do with him? Same tactic as what the writers did with Amuro in the original Gundam series when they moved to Zeta.

That would explain why that arc was frigging long! I really enjoyed the fight with Frieza and his various forms but by the the umpteen time when he was still fighting Goku in his 4th form, I was tearing my hair out! But I must admit, it is one of the better arcs I have seen in anime - not that I have seen alot! :) 

Dude, its not as simple as you think - I can't simply download it because internet laws are harsh in my country. The same goes for importing DVDs into my country. Pretty unnecessary laws IMO.

I got to admit I do find Dragonball to be more "charming" as compared to Z - however, the latter is pretty intense!