Should I wait to show her?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Optimus Axl, Jul 26, 2011.

?

When should I show her?

1. sooner

56 vote(s)
    81.2%
  2. later

13 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. Optimus Axl

Optimus Axl Active Member

OK everyone I have a poll for you. I have been seeing this new girl for about 3 weeks now. She is coming over for dinner tomorrow for the first time.

Now this is the first girl Ive really bothered with since my daughters mother and I split up.(1 1/2 years) Ok so my problem is, how do I go about showing her my collection? Honestly I'm a little embarrased by them but only with her. Everyone else I proudly show them off. So do you guys think I should wait to let her know about my collection or just show her? How have the rest of you handled this?
    thanks for you r help.

2. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You've got nothing to hide my good man. Just don't make a big deal about it and everything should go fine.

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    She's coming over for dinner, not to inspect your collection of transformers. With that being said, going out of your way to show her might be a little strange. Not because of what you're showing her, but because doing so became a priority for your evening.

However at the same time, I wouldn't avoid it either because that'll look just as silly, especially in terms of physically trying to keep her from finding out about your not so dirty little secret. I've watched enough TV to know that this never works out, and that if she's not already a recurring character, she'll probably never become one.

... tldr: focus on the two of you, not on Frenzy & Rumble.

4. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

I would get the rash checked out by a doctor before you show her, just to be safe.

Chuck

5. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Well I dunno all the specifics but if you collect TFs to the point that showing yoru collection is embarassing then I'm sure she's already picked up on the geek in you.

I say if the moment occurs show her. If you are showing her the whole house show her. If it has come up in convo or does, show her. It only becomes as big a deal as you make it. Oh and when you show her the first time don't go uber geek on her and start talkign about it. I would would keep it at just answering questions.

About the geek comment...we are all geeks so no offence intended by the term.

6. Guardian_Prime

Guardian_Prime Autobot Leader

Do a tour of the house and when you get to the collection, just act like its not a big deal and just another part of the house. Everybody has things they like to collect; she probably has a room for unicorns or some shit. Anyway, that's how I showed off my stuff and it worked just fine.

7. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Ummmmm, if you're embarassed of collecting, then why do it?

8. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Hah. If it gets to the point that you're showing them to her, just be like yeah. I've been collecting these for a while now. Some I've had since I was younger, others I've bought recently, and by this time you'll probably be able to tell whether or not she cares & whatnot.

Again, I really doubt this'll matter any more than what colour of pants you've got in your closet. If anything, it'll probably matter a lot less than that.

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Depends, are you ashamed of your collection? Is collecting going to remain a significant part of your life, now that you're in a relationship with her? If you hide the collection from her, that's dishonest and she may resent you waiting to tell her about something you devote a noticable portion of your life, time, and finances to. If you don't tell her, you risk her seeing them out of the blue and being surprised / freaked out.

Frankly, this is the kind of thing you should tell the people you're dating before you get to the "come back to my place" stage. Best you can do now is act like its just a simple hobby and not make a big deal of it.

10. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Hiding something implies that its bad.
    Show her as soon as possible, if she can't deal then move on and find a nice young lady who can.

11. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    I'm still not getting why this is even an issue. I mean, so what if I don't make it a point to tell a girl that I watch wrestling on tv or that I collect transformers & yugioh, and so what if those things happen to come up? That's like her not telling me that she likes to shop at Clairs or that she listens to a certain type of music that wasn't playing in her car when we went out. If anything, the issue I see here has to do with blowing a hobby like this into something that it really isn't, which is a negative way of life.

Just roll with it, and as long as she's not a complete retard (in which case you're doing yourself a favor by finding this out as soon as possible), you'll be fine.

12. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    Personally, I never hesitate to show off my junk. I'm proud of it.

Seriously, she'll know eventually (unless you scrap your entire collection), why put it off?

13. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Be proud. If she ditch you based on your collection, she wasn't gonna last anyways.

14. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Show her erector in a box first

15. soull

soull Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Be careful. If she's anything like me she'll spend the whole night with your collection and not you.

16. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    This.

17. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    If you're worried about showing your collection my tip would be to make it PRESENTABLE. Seriously, a mammoth collection which is a mass of robots and boxes may look awesome to the owner, but a complete mess to everyone else.

A few choice pieces can look better than a badly thought out mash of a display. You've got until tomorrow to tidy up!

18. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Don't hide it but also don't insist that she sees it. Cool and natural is the way to play.

19. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

The question is:
    When do you show your girlfriend to your collection?

20. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I said later, but here's why:

Not later as in try to hide it from her for a while, but not sooner as in trying to make sure that it's the first thing you show her when she comes over. Let it be something that comes up in conversation or if she wants a tour of the house. When she does see them don't geek out and start naming them off. :lol  Just treat it as another part of the house and only if she asks then go into some detail about them, because if she asks then shes interested instead of you pushing it on her.

Don't worry man. It'll be fine. :thumb 

EDIT: Let us know how it goes!