Should I wait for MP Rodimus v2?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by bradforj, Aug 17, 2011.

1. bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    BBTS has v1 for $149 right now. v2 is $60 more than that at $209. My question is to those who have seen both v1 and the TRU version in-hand. Since Takara v2 will have the fixes seen on the TRU version, are the fixes worth the extra $60 difference?

2. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

The 60 bucks is worth getting one without such a high risk of being broken right out of the box.

3. alternator77

alternator77 Well-Known Member

cant say i got v.1 for sale and ive got no issues with the mold so far. also i dont know what couldve been fixed since the us release has no trailer. i know the spoiler is solid plastic in the us but otherwise cant speak to other "changes"

4. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    While I don't think I'm in the minority, my V1 Takara Roddy was fine right out of the box as was the other one that arrived in the same order.

If you really want a version that comes with a trailer, I say get Takara V1 and the TRU version. That way you can display one as Rodimus with the trailer and freely be able to transform the TRU version back and fourth from car mode to Hot Rod. In the end you'll end up paying the same amount as if you waited for V2, but you'll have two figures + the target master.

5. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    Yeah, the horror stories of V1 are waaaaay out of proportion. I've had one since day one and have had absolutely no issues or breakages with it. One of the best purchases I've ever made.

I think those who got bad ones are just really loud about it, making the problem seem much worse than it is.

6. bradforj

News Credits:
    Please keep the ideas rolling here! Some of you have me leaning toward v1 now, but I have yet to hear from anyone that truly got burned first hand on a v1.

7. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    i know i'm waiting!

8. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    I caved in on this sale from BBTS. Keep in mind, not ALL had issues. If anything, I suspect owners with gorilla hands put in way too much pressure as they man-handle their toys anyways.

9. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The closest I came to getting burned was the tail fin scraping on the trailer. I didn't insert it all the way so the scrape is very minor. I was fortunate to have gotten mine after the initial reviews so I had an idea of what to expect and how to handle hiim.

10. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have both MP9 and TRU. Although my MP9 really has no major issue, I would rather wait for V2. My TRU Rodimus lower leg side flap snapped off and I was able to plug it back in thank to the new peg design. Imagine if that was MP9? Also, transformation is much, much smoother in TRU version than MP9. I expect V2 to either inherited the TRU modification or they come up with something even better. We'll find out in 1 month.

11. bradforj

News Credits:
    I have discovered that Captured Prey has MP-09 v2 for $190, a full $20 less than BBTS! So my decision just became a lot easier. It looks like Sidecutter will be getting my money :) 

12. Gatchaman

Gatchaman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^
    This. I have v1 Mp09 and have no breakage issues. my backpack was not quite snug but some simple modding of inside parts cured that and as for HR spoiler, thanks to Peaugh's MP9 review, I knew to sand the notche's in the trailer that the spoiler fits into till I had plenty of clearance, so 10 minutes work and V 1.0 is perfect.
    Also with the hasbro not everything is improved, the hood on mine doesn't close as tightly and the forearms don't peg in in vehicle mode- so if MP09 2.0 follows suit, a slightly adjusted 1.0 is superior...
    plus, like motormaster said, having both for the price of 1 is a no brainer. you'll have a hit rod and a rodimus bot, 4 guns, a target master and he trailer all for the cost of MP9 2.0

13. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    Both US and Japan version have painted spoilers.

I had no issues with my v1 Rodimus (other than he can't hold the guns too easily).

Randy

14. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    There's no guarantees Takara are actually going to bother implementing the fixes that TRU Roddy has.

Unless they changed the gang molding lay out on the toy, that's just plain not possible.

15. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

I've got V1 Takara Rodimus and he's absolutely fine (I did have to sand the inside of the trailer slot though, but I'd read about that before I got him so was prepared for it). The backpack perhaps could tab in better but that's my only complaint. His guns even plug into the hands perfectly. So basically it sounds like there was a bit of a Q/C lottery going on.

I was considering getting Hasbro Roddy to have a second display piece, mainly because of the cheap price and the cool Targetmaster. But I just can't get past his botched colour scheme. Ugh. Loses to TakRod in every possible way... The dark grey face/hands, the non-chrome wheel hubs, the in-your-face red instead of movie-accurate maroon, the lack of collars and cuffs, the dark blue window (no doubt to obscure the lack of colour seats/interior), the missing paint apps on tail lights, on the roof and on the front edge of the windscreen... even the flame design on the hood... And that's before we even get to new problems like elbows and hood not flush.

Actually I still want a second MP Rodimus, because I adore his Hot Rod vehicle mode (being Alternator-sized is awesome!), but the cost of it puts me off. I wish Takara would issue an MP-09 colour scheme Hot Rod without trailer and with Targetmaster; that would be handy!

16. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Keep in mind that despite the issues from V.1, there are also a lot of owners that haven't had any of the commonly reported problems. I'd say it's a steal at that price.

17. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    I have a V1 Roddy, and no horror stories, but if HasbRod is any indication, there are some crucial fixes coming in V2.

Specifically, if you get V1 Rodimus, you can expect the following issues, all of which are relatively easy to fix, but will require time:

1. Spoiler scraping when inserted into trailer.
    Fix: Sand down the slot before attempting to insert. Basically sand the paint off the inside of the slot, and you're good.

2. Guns not tabbing into hands securely.
    Fix: Clear nail polish, floor polish, etc.

3. Backpack tab not connecting
    Fix: This seems to be a universal issue with Rodimi, domestic or import. Some Rodimi tab together perfectly (I have a HasbRod that does, but I've heard of others that simply don't even get close) while others don't. It will require some finagaling and fussing to get it workable, but generally even in worst-case scenarios the V1 Rodimus hinge is stiff enough to keep the backpack up.

4. Leg panel hinges fragile
    Fix: The hinge in question is a simple pin. If it pops out, just glue the pin back into the hole (Careful not to have excess glue gumming up the actual hinge). Fixed in subsiquent versions.

5. Ankles derpy
    Fix: There's a spring that gets 'caught' in his ankle. The end of the spring digs into the soft plastic of the joint and hinders rotation. Unscrew the foot, and bend the tip of the spring out of the way.

There are a few more issues, but they're basically universal because of his finnicky design (Difficulties transforming him well enough to get him to roll flat on all 4 wheels). If you can deal with all of the above? Go for it.

18. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    OK, I think the real question is this: Why do you want to get the Takara version of him?

If it is the trailer, then ask yourself:
    - Am I going to pose him with the trailer, or will the trailer just stand on the side never to be used.
    - Is a 3rd Party company going to release trailer I could get later anyway?

If it is for the paint apps and such then I would have to say do not compare the Takara and the Hasbro one side by side. I have the Hasbro one because the trailer was going to be a waste. It is really nice. I have no complaints about the way he looks. Does he look as nice as the Takara? Nope, but I don't have them next to each other to say, the Takara one looks nicer. Also, is the $100 extra worth that paint? I don't think so.

19. igniz1984

igniz1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    THIS. I also have v1 and TRU, and my v1 didnt come with any of the QC issues everyone was complaining about. I've been able to transform it multiple times, but I will say that v1 is a bit more finicky than tru. As far as a smooth transformation.

20. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    Here's a side-by-side to help with that:

[​IMG]

What doesn't photograph well is the differences in red. Both are nice. Takarimus Prime has a red/maroon that actually changes depending on the light... much like how the colors shifted in the movie, whereas HasbRod is a gorgeous, deep red, where the paint and plastic match so seamlessly it's tough to tell what is painted and what isn't.